Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ot GMC truck, I want a truck
F4i
post Dec 7 2004, 10:15 PM
Post #1

914 DOG!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,460

I am looking for a new to me (first) truck. I am really leaning towards a 2000-2003 gmc sonoma/s10. any thoughts on them are welcome any maint. issues? Pitfalls. Engine choice? Any info and opinions welcome. thanks
Oh BTW ext cab and 4x4 are almost musts. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Dec 7 2004, 10:42 PM
Post #2

King of Road Trips

Group: Members
Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

get the full size PU...it has a better resale value. Gas mileage isn't much of a factor between the two and you can carry more in the full size. Ever try and put a normal sized person in the back seat of a S truck? With the full size you can put a couple adults back there.

GM had some problem with piston slap in those years (can't remember the size of the engine). If you know someone, the wholesale auction in Edmonton is a good place to get a truck for the right price.

Rode in a 05 GMC crew cab with the Duramax engine two weeks ago. It took 6 of us to Antler, ND in comfort and style. The headlight systems on the 05's are much better than the o4's
+Quote Post
Randal
post Dec 7 2004, 11:14 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

If you're going to tow, you won't like it slow, so go with something that has big flow.

Buy a turbo diesel.
+Quote Post
chikenfajita
post Dec 7 2004, 11:18 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 3,183

if you are getting a truck get a ford.
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Dec 7 2004, 11:21 PM
Post #5

I do things...

Member No.: 1,413
Region Association: Northern California

I have no complaints with my 2001 F-350 7.3 turbo diesel.
Crew cab, dualie (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

KT
+Quote Post
Randal
post Dec 7 2004, 11:44 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

I have no complaints with my 2001 F-350 7.3 turbo diesel.

Now that is a huge truck. You win the prize. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
Lou W
post Dec 7 2004, 11:46 PM
Post #7

"Here Kitty Kitty" my ass......

Member No.: 2,039
Region Association: Spain

GWN7 Posted on Dec 7 2004, 08:42 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
get the full size PU...it has a better resale value. Gas mileage isn't much of a factor between the two and you can carry more in the full size. Ever try and put a normal sized person in the back seat of a S truck? With the full size you can put a couple adults back there.
Very happy with mine, 2004 Silverado with the 4.7 litre V8 and a 373 posi rear end. Also have have a 2003 Tahoe with the 5.3 litre V8, not quite the same acceleration, but much heavier and has the 350 gears. Milage is not all that bad in the Silverado and it's easier to drive and park than the extended cabs and the Avalanche, I looked at them too. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
F4i
post Dec 7 2004, 11:54 PM
Post #8

914 DOG!

this is good info keep it comming. I had piston slap with a dodge I once had. NOT fun. Shying away from the full size due to wanting a v8 if I get it and the wife wants a smaller truck,
+Quote Post
Lou W
post Dec 8 2004, 12:04 AM
Post #9

"Here Kitty Kitty" my ass......

Member No.: 2,039
Region Association: Spain

F4i Posted on Dec 7 2004, 09:54 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
this is good info keep it comming. I had piston slap with a dodge I once had. NOT fun. Shying away from the full size due to wanting a v8 if I get it and the wife wants a smaller truck,
I haven't had any problem with piston slap. I was somewhat disapointed in the smaller Chevy Colorado, I thought it was kinda cheap. I've owned a couple of Toyota Tacomas, extended cabs with the V6's, I think they are a better choice, quality, fit, performance, resale, etc. I traded in a Toyota Tundra on the Tahoe, that was a real nice truck, extended cab with the V8, plenty of power, quality, performance too. Maybe you should at least drive the Toyota, you might be surprised. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Dec 8 2004, 01:05 AM
Post #10

King of Road Trips

I have a 98 Z71 and am quite happy with it. A couple guy at work had problems with the slap factor.

"Owners of some of General Motors Corp.'s most expensive light trucks, including the GMC Yukon and Chevrolet Silverado, say the vehicles they paid more than $30,000 for may be worthless now because of loud, irritating knocking noises in their engines, lawyers tell the Free Press.

Thousands of vehicles, most from the 1999 to 2002 model years, may be affected, say the lawyers, who specialize in lemon law. They say GM is quietly buying back some of the vehicles.

Some experts say the knocking, caused by contact between the engine's pistons and cylinders, may be damaging in the long run.

GM acknowledges the problem, which it said surfaced when it moved to a new family of engines, but says it does not affect engine performance and that it was corrected in later-model vehicles. '

Full article on it HERE
+Quote Post
joea9146
post Dec 8 2004, 07:00 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 283
Region Association: None

QUOTE(F4i @ Dec 8 2004, 01:54 AM)

If you are going to tow go with the fullsize. Get a diesel or a big V8... I have a Dodge Quad cab
Fullsize with a 5.9 liter..... Pulls really had keeps up with my buddies Disel going up the hills to Watkins Glen... Just sucks a lot more gas
+Quote Post
Pam
post Dec 8 2004, 08:26 AM
Post #12

Unnumbered Lady of 914s

Member No.: 756

I had a '93 Sonoma Extend Cab for 10 years (bought it new...just got rid of it last year). Great truck....no problems at all and I'm not always religious about regular maintenance. When it came time to buy a new truck I didn't hesitate or even do too much shopping around - I got a 2003 S10.

As for towing, I wouldn't recommend it if you are going to use it a lot for that sort of thing. Lawrence and I trailered Sanford (a parts car) from northern Illinois to central Iowa and I just never felt comfortable that we had the power needed to really go or stop when needed. There were also some other factors that caused concern so Lawrence may have a different opinion about the S10 and its tow capacity (he drove)

-Pam
+Quote Post
skline
post Dec 8 2004, 08:30 AM
Post #13

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

Here is a picture of mine, it's a 2003, the last of this body style. It is not a 4x4 but I dont have any need for it. I just needed something to get me around and haul a few computers and stuff. I bought it because it is unique in that there are not that many in this color. It rides nice, gets ok mileage and so far, they did a valve job, replaced the water pump, and now are replacing the computer in it. Under warranty of course. It has bilstien shocks all around with front and rear sway bars. Handles very well in corners and with the 4.3 liter V6 it gets along ok. I love this truck.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
balljoint
post Dec 8 2004, 08:58 AM
Post #14

914 Wizard

Member No.: 1,897

I drive a 99 Chevy S-10 extended cab 4x4, fully loaded, trailer package blah blah blah. I am very fond of my truck, it is the 3rd s series GM truck I have owned. I have driven almost 200k km and have had no real problems. I just wish that I had rear seating other than the fold down jumper seat.

1. Fuel economy is not much better than a full size truck. But I have proper light-truck tires and a very low ratio rear diff. for towing.

2. My truck weighs just over 5000 lbs. I have trailered my teener on a U-Haul Auto-transporter a number of times and never had a problem or even been worried about it.

3. Factory specs on the 4.3 Vortec V6 are 190 HP and 250 ft-lbs of torque at reasonable rpms. That is better than a lot of stock full size trucks (F150) from the same year.

4. When I go deer/moose hunting it is my truck that takes our guys out on the logging roads. It is smaller and can get more places than the other guys 2-wheel full size trucks. It doesn't ride in the big truck ruts but between or to the side. It's practically an ATV.

5. I have not been able to get it stuck.

6. I don't like the new Canyon or Colorado. (5 cylinders bugs me), and they now have less power and torque than my truck, I don't want to step down.

7. It actually fits inside my single car garage.

8. It regularly carries 1000 lbs plus of dog food with no problems (extra leaf springs)

9. It looks cool (Fleet side), sport side is for city people.

That said, when I am ready for a new little truck, I will be looking seriously at the new Toyota trucks mentioned.
+Quote Post
skline
post Dec 8 2004, 09:09 AM
Post #15

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) About the new Canyon and Colorado trucks, however, they do have more HP and torque than the 4.3, you just cant feel it. They are rated at 225HP. I had one as a loaner when my truck was in for the valve job, that thing was a piece of crap, it beat the hell out of me on the freeway, and the isusu 5 cylinder felt and sounded like a 4 cylinder. Dog off the line. They say it has 225 HP but it sure doesnt feel like it. Lots of vibration, bad gas mileage and the wierdest part is the electronic starter. You just touch the key to the start position and let go, it turns the engine over till it starts all by itself. Very strange. Do take a look at the Toyota and even the new Nissan trucks, lots of power, better mileage and they are known for reliability.
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Dec 8 2004, 09:19 AM
Post #16

You bought another 914?

Member No.: 865

If truck size is an issue I would also recommend the Dakota quad cab. Seats four adults nicely and you can get a V8 & 4x4 with it. Mine is just a 4x2 with V6 but it still pulls just fine. Its not the fastest thing in the world, but it does the job. If I had to do it over again I would got the V8 for the extra HP.

My truck before this one was 96 F150 with a I6. Great truck, I could pull a house with it. I would still have it if I didn't need the extra room for the family.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Dec 8 2004, 09:52 AM
Post #17

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

Blown Dakota

10K USD won't get you much of a truck.....but if you don't mind coming down here to So Cal....or I could ship it...I am looking to sell mine. 400hp ain't nutin' to sneeze at..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
post Dec 8 2004, 09:57 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 988

I've had two of them, both zr2 extra cab's 4X4 and, both 5speeds.

-The first one was a 98, it was great, put 120k on it, no mechanical issues at all, one issue was shitty paint which the dealer fixed NC.

-second was an 03 which I had specially ordered, it's basically the same truck, I put 25k on it before selling it....wife...etc.. and never had a single problem. They were a good deal new because of the huge rebates, and the drivetrain/engine is bullet proof, but since you'll be looking at a used one, I'd compare it to a tacoma, and get the toyota if its even $$, if you can get the GMC for less, get it, they are solid, and repairs are cheap if needed, but unless you or the PO beat on it-a lot, it's solid.

BTW- I like the zr2's but if you get one, realize it's really a sport truck, not a work truck and it is limited as far as utility.
+Quote Post
F4i
post Dec 8 2004, 06:33 PM
Post #19

914 DOG!

The truck will be used for commuting plus weekend chores. I have had a dishwasher, cement mixer. untold amounts of plywood, gravel from a quarry (they supply bags!), small trees and just about everything else in my poor little VW golf. The truck will be used for that type of stuff. Also to haul around my bike for track days etc. No real towing in mind. Maybee the teener if stuck.
The toyota sounds like something worth looking at as well. Did the s10 ever come with a straight six? Mikez the wife would love the power but the tickets would kill me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rocking nana.gif)
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Dec 8 2004, 06:42 PM
Post #20

King of Road Trips

Before the Z71 I had a S15 Jimmy 2.8L 5 speed put 323,000km on it before the speedo broke and sold it 3 years later (375,000km estimated) They came with the V8, V6 and a inline 4.

I still say go with the fullsize truck for resale value down the road.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 06:46 AM