Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ot GMC truck, I want a truck
F4i
post Dec 8 2004, 06:49 PM
Post #21

914 DOG!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,460

QUOTE(GWN7 @ Dec 8 2004, 05:42 PM)

I still say go with the fullsize truck for resale value down the road.

I agree it's just convincing the wife.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Dec 8 2004, 07:18 PM
Post #22

King of Road Trips

Group: Members
Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

Tell her I said so (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
Carlitos Way
post Dec 8 2004, 07:42 PM
Post #23

I did it MY WAY

Member No.: 2,757
Region Association: Southern California

Personally... I'm happy with my little Mazda B3000 Dual Sport. It's essentially a Ford Ranger, but with the Mazda name plate, and a better warranty (50k miles, instead of 36k). Granted, I dont' do any towing, but I do carry lots of sound equipment on it almost daily. It's peppy, and good torque, with over 80% of torque available under 2k RPM (so they claim). I opted for the smaller V6, but would definitely recommend the B4000 with the larger V6. Minimal difference in mileage... but I really wanted a Stick.. and the 4000 is hard to find that way.

I think the only drawback on my truck is that it has the tendency to bounce in a couple of the freeways, due to its wheel base (126"). Other than that, it's economical, my payments are very low, and I feel comfortable with it. I got a lot more options with the Mazda than I would have had with the Ford... and I also got a lower interest rate. Check them out. You'd be surprised.

Regards,

Carlos
+Quote Post
trojanhorsepower
post Dec 8 2004, 07:57 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 1,179
Region Association: None

I have a '98 GMC Sonoma 3500, 5.7 L 4x4 4 - wheel that I love. I bought it new in 99. It is a no nonsense truck. I have a decent size boat that I tow regularly and I have always appreciated the extra umph when I pull out of the boat ramp. I was in the mall the other day and they had a new Toyota quad cab for $26K+ that’s 2K more than the sticker for my truck.

Just a thought, but I have never under worked a truck (get the most you can).

-Pete
+Quote Post
Kevin@ojai.net
post Dec 9 2004, 01:02 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 899

I also have an '03 s-10 4.3L 2wd all the goodies, 30,000mi on mine. The rebates they had going on in late '02 made it the same price as buying a couple year old used one. I regularly pull my little 17ft glastron with it -- no problem.

I have had two issues with it though: I had a POS steering box on it that started leaking -- had to get that replaced. Also had to replace the drive axle due to a universal going out on it (I guess they don't just change the universals anymore). There is also an aerodynamic flaw with the vehicle (I've tried this on 4 diff S-series '02 and '03) where if you crack the drivers window
at high fwy speeds of 75-80mph you can not roll it back up unless you crack the passengers window.

I uploaded my fuel economy to 914.ojai.net/mileage.xls You can see I get about 19mpg avg. including city and towing, and low 20's on the fwy...

Over all i would recommend one, not bad little trucks. But again, if you want to cary lumber and tow heavy loads nothing beats a full size! But if you want to be able to squeeze into little parking spots and want a commuter that can do some light duty double work as a "truck" the small truck is a great way to go.

HTH,
-Kevin
+Quote Post
Lou W
post Dec 9 2004, 02:09 AM
Post #26

"Here Kitty Kitty" my ass......

Member No.: 2,039
Region Association: Spain

F4i Posted on Dec 8 2004, 04:49 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QUOTE (GWN7 @ Dec 8 2004, 05:42 PM)

I still say go with the fullsize truck for resale value down the road.  

I agree it's just convincing the wife.
My wife still thinks that the best truck we've had was the 2002 Toyota Tundra, it was easy for her to drive, etc., maybe you should have your wife look at one of those. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Rgreen914
post Dec 9 2004, 03:14 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 1,266

Sorry guys, but the horsepower rating of a truck is of secondary concern; TORQUE is what moves things, makes a vehicle responsive. And when it comes to truck motors, there is NO replacement for displacement; go big or go home! I've looked at new Chevies with the 6.6 Duramax and the 8.1 big block; for the $6,000 price difference, I'll take the big block! I can buy lots of gas for 6K!

Ron
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Dec 9 2004, 08:12 AM
Post #28

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43

This is the Mother Ship. Wifes new big bad boy. King cab, 4wd, 305 hp, off road package, big tow package, Rockford fosgate, locking diff, etc.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Scott S
post Dec 9 2004, 10:27 AM
Post #29

Small Member

Member No.: 633

I had a 94 z-71 for a 175000 miles and now drive a 2000 Z-71 - it just hit 80k. I have been one of the lucky ones - no piston slap. Other than one fairly serious design flaw in the 94, both trucks were/are great. Fit and finish on my 2000 is surpisingly high quality - I even opted for leather. I am also surpised at how big the rear seat is - I only have the extended cab. I drove 4 adults 10 hours to Iowa with no problems.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Dec 9 2004, 10:49 AM
Post #30

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

got ya beat Scott....Ford F150 SuperCrew.....'01 model with 140,000+ miles on it, changed the bat. and alt once and so far been a great truck...if I was to get a new truck, I might consider the GMC with the duramax diesel motor, Tony C has one and it just plain hauls @ss for a truck
+Quote Post
bob
post Dec 9 2004, 10:58 AM
Post #31

Member No.: 109

great timing on this thread. I currently drive a '94 Chevy with 210,000.it has the 5.7 in it. I'm in the market for a newer truck too. anybody know when they started putting the 327 in the 1500 instead of the 350?
-bob
+Quote Post
Rhodes71/914
post Dec 9 2004, 11:35 AM
Post #32

Glacier

Member No.: 2,482

Being a die-hard Toyota owner I have to put my .02 in on this. I currently own a '99 Tacoma Xtra-cab 4X4 with the 4cyl. It may not be the fastest truck around but it geats great milage for a truck, about 22 on the hwy @ 70mph. I do some towing with it as well. It actually moved me from Alaska to Oregon. Canopy on back full, rocket box on top full, bike rack. Towing a '67 VW bus on a dolly, full as well, 3000 miles in the dead of winter no problems.

I have owned several other Toyotas including a '79 Land Crusier, and '90 4Runner. All have been easy to work on and saw both of those over 200,000.

I am looking to move up to a Tundra with the back seat so I can take the whole family in the truck.

Bottom line, check out the Toyotas before you buy. It will see the shop less than any american truck, even if it is warrenty work your still without a truck when it is in the shop.
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Dec 9 2004, 05:20 PM
Post #33

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

Totally unrelated, but I have a F-150 (1992 with the 302 V8 and 4x4), and its bulletproof. I max it out all the time (Last year we towed a 2ton construction trailor with it). I HIGHLY recomend Fords (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (I want a new F-250)

Other than that the last truck was a '72 Chevy K-10 (4x4 with 350), and it pulled great, only problem was that with all the engine mods it got only 2mpg (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (I could smoke the tires @ 60mph)
+Quote Post
spare time toys
post Dec 9 2004, 05:40 PM
Post #34

hooked on grilling food.

Member No.: 1,884
Region Association: Southwest Region

2001 Chevy suburban. Biggest hunk of crap we ever owned. On the trip out to Costa Mesa and back it used $420 in gas to go 2900 miles. Piston slap oh yea its got it. GM and dealer will not do nothing about it. It uses oil so fast I dont change it I just add more and swap filters. 2002 chevy extended cab 1500 I found out the hard way the rear end gears are the same as a car. They just put six lug axels in it. I towed the 914 home from Austin and the rear end blew. Had proper amount of oil and type. Fixed it sold it. I have owned nothing but GM for years will I continue? HELL NO I am looking at a Nissan Armada to replace the bus.
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Dec 9 2004, 06:51 PM
Post #35

King of Road Trips

My 98 Z71 has 250,000km as of today (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

GM would have done something about the excessive oil consumsion (read the lemon link I posted above). In the Corvettes that had this problem GM replaced the pistons and replaced the oil rings with a different design (strangely called a Napier ring) to solve the problem. I even found the email adddress for the General Manager of GM while researching this problem. One guy who wasn't happy with his truck about the piston slap emailed the GM and was offered a new GM vehicle at cost.

The old addage... when you bitch, start at the top, shit runs down hill. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

GM will (if you bitch) offer a extened warrenty, then offer you cash (if you bitch more) and buy your truck back if you have a lawyer bitch for you. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
F4i
post Dec 9 2004, 11:23 PM
Post #36

914 DOG!

Looked at one tonight. 2003 gmc 1/2 ton 4x4 4 door (not crew) 5.3l engine air cruise tilt cd new tires comes with 3 month 50k powertrain warranty topper bed liner(sprayed) tow pkg. automatic was owned by a geophysical survey company 73k on it in a year! Just over 25k out the door. Thoughts?
+Quote Post
Rhodes71/914
post Dec 10 2004, 01:05 AM
Post #37

Glacier

Member No.: 2,482

That's a pile of miles for a 2 year old car. Geophysical Survey, sounds like lots of 4x4 time. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Dec 10 2004, 07:05 AM
Post #38

King of Road Trips

That's KM's not miles. 73,000 km is about 45,000 miles.

Not sure on the pricing, but you can compare that at Kelly Blue Book on line HERE

Use 58271 as the zip and the dollar was about $0.82 yesterday.

This from a dealer or is the warrenty aftermarket?
+Quote Post
F4i
post Dec 10 2004, 08:21 AM
Post #39

914 DOG!

Local chey dealer. Optimum used deal. I am concerned about the 4x4 time. I also found a torn ball joint boot and busted front air dam just looking at it on the lot and told them it would need to go over those 150 points one more time.
+Quote Post
Lou W
post Dec 10 2004, 09:26 AM
Post #40

"Here Kitty Kitty" my ass......

Member No.: 2,039
Region Association: Spain

When I bought my Silverado about 4 months ago, they were offering some pretty good incentives, mine stickered in at $23,600, got it for $17,500. Did you look at the new ones? A friend of mine bought a 2004 Dodge Ram 4 Door, Hemi, etc about 2 months ago, I think he even did better than I did. I don't know about the truck your lookig at, you would have thought the dealer would have done a complete inspection and replaced the boot, etc. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 10:14 PM