Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My Friggen Head Hurts, 1st Quarter of Grad School Done
EdwardBlume
post Dec 9 2004, 02:04 AM
Post #1

914 Wizard

Group: Members
Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

After a 3 hour calculus exam tonight, I feel like my head is hemoraging. Now I've got three whole weeks to enjoy some time with the family and yes, work on my 914. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Dec 9 2004, 08:08 AM
Post #2

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

I remember those days Rob...Calculus...physics...I feel your pain... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Jeff Bonanno
post Dec 9 2004, 09:31 AM
Post #3

il dottore

Member No.: 636

Rob - it could be worse.

on the way to an evening exam (organic synthesis or some such) in my first year of grad school i passed the bar we always met at post-test. it was on fire that night.

jbb
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post Dec 9 2004, 02:13 PM
Post #4

That's my ride.

Member No.: 166

I'd tell you it gets easier but I'd be lying. In one way you get used to it but then unless you've already started it pretty soon you get to combine research, teaching and writing with your class work. I didn't start any of that my first quarter, but it all adds up. Luckily I lived very close to campus so I didn't ever sleep at school....

-Tony
+Quote Post
nebreitling
post Dec 9 2004, 02:23 PM
Post #5

Member Emeritus

Member No.: 478

i think my life as a phd candidate is pretty insane as is: non-stop productivity, research, students, teaching, reading, seminars, grunt-work, and meetings easily add up to 70/80hr weeks. it's not something you can "turn off" when you get home -- i could not imagine raising a family at the same time. cheers (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) to you, and keep your eye on the prize.

enjoy your well-deserved vacation, Rob! hope you get some quality time in with the teener.
+Quote Post
nebreitling
post Dec 9 2004, 02:25 PM
Post #6

Member Emeritus

Member No.: 478

jeff -- that's one of the most horrible stories i've ever heard! what a horrible omen before a test...

i'm gonna go grade some finals....
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Dec 9 2004, 04:12 PM
Post #7

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

Congrats Rob (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif) Good job. I wish I would have been smarter and stayed in school.

B
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Dec 9 2004, 04:19 PM
Post #8

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

i had a trig final (pretty hard) and i just aced CAD final..... essay due at 7 am, and another english final at 9 am.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
life is good...

pass me the shiner bock! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Eddie Williams
post Dec 9 2004, 08:25 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 55

Well my finals have been easy this semester. Into to Industrial Engineering, no final, this guy was a real wiener, didn't learn a dang thing, we were 8 weeks behind the syllabus, took forever to get a grade from him. Took the final in Applications of Quantitative Methods last night... all stats and probability, my brain was aching as well... a few shiners fixed it!

No rest for me, I'm taking Poly Sci during the winter mini session... starts Wednesday. meets every day for 3 1/2 weeks, 4 hours a day, with a few days off for holidays, then 2 day break and Spring starts! Computer Apps in Industrial Engineering, and Quality Control Applications, more stats and prob!!! Ahh the life!
+Quote Post
MattR
post Dec 10 2004, 07:58 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,589
Region Association: Northern California

After 6 hours of finals in 4 days, I am done too! I am so relieved! Time to get cracking on the ass dragger.

Just thinking about spending 2 hours on calc, 2 hours on physics (the waves and optics and stupid stuff), and 2 hours on statics just makes me want to cry... The good news; I got my physics lab grade back and its an A. yay!
+Quote Post
d7n7master
post Dec 10 2004, 08:30 PM
Post #11

Gary#

Member No.: 421

Just my 2c's,
Hey Eddie, I did the same stuff in college. Ate it up. Got a job as a quality engineer, woo-hoo - learned to HATE it. LOL - Nobody wanted to hear that my production rejection analysis clearly indicated that the "root cause" of 70+% of rejections were attributed to the mechanics/techs on the shop floor misinterpreting engineering orders. Kinda sucks to eat your lunch all by yourself... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
So I went back to school & learned project management. Now I'm an engineering project mgr, having fun & I don't have to eat my lunch alone. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/monkeydance.gif)
Be careful what you ask for, you just might get it.
+Quote Post
Eddie Williams
post Dec 10 2004, 09:02 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 55

d7n7,

I was thinking of heading in the Project Management direction myself. Once I finish my BS, I was thinking about going for the PMP cert, UT offers a graduate certificate in project management.
+Quote Post
DNHunt
post Dec 11 2004, 08:37 AM
Post #13

914 Wizard? No way. I got too much to learn.

Member No.: 598

The saddest part is you forget 99 % of the stuff because you never use it. I hated finals but I sure loved the night after I was thru with em.

Dave
+Quote Post
chunger
post Dec 11 2004, 03:49 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 133

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) ha haa. . . haven't used my calculus ever. . . well, once, but I just took sections and most of what I learned in school was "tricks".

The only math I need is pythagorean (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif) and yes, I can't spell either.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 04:38 AM