Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

62 Pages V « < 56 57 58 59 60 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> CptTripps' Restoration 2 - The Grey Matter Build, Back in Doug’s garage
Amenson
post Mar 20 2019, 06:10 PM
Post #1141

That's opposite lock!!

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,154
Region Association: None

Well, I learned a fun fact today...Subaru does not sell the throttle body shaft seals. I couldn't find them online so I took the part to a local Subaru dealership with a decent parts guy and he confirmed that they are not available.

Fortunately I have another.
Attached Image

Will not be nice and freshly sandblasted but will do the trick. Just need to weld on another v-band flange which should arrive Friday.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Mar 26 2019, 02:16 AM
Post #1142

:: Punch and Pie ::

Member No.: 3,342
Region Association: Upper MidWest

::: debating if I should comment about the crocs or not :::
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Mar 26 2019, 09:42 AM
Post #1143

That's opposite lock!!

QUOTE(CptTripps @ Mar 26 2019, 04:16 AM) *

They are very comfortable...but never leave the house. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Welded the v-band flange to the other throttle body. Was a bit of a pain trying not to overheat the seals but seems to have been successful. Also pained and installed a most of the remaining brackets and started on the engine harness.
Attached Image

Did run into a small snag. I created a bit of rework for myself by not having the gaskets installed while making parts. Fortunately the plumbing still fits quite nicely but the front IC support needs attention.
Attached Image

+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 26 2019, 09:49 AM
Post #1144

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(CptTripps @ Mar 26 2019, 04:16 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Mar 31 2019, 09:01 PM
Post #1145

That's opposite lock!!

This was a week of mostly fun with wires.

Raw materials...plus a bunch of crimpers and new connectors. Using Doug's start as a base, every connector is new. I would have started completely from scratch but Doug color coded the injectors and coils the same for each cylinder. That is the kind of detail I appreciate.
Attached Image

Attached Image

Connectors for the IAC,Knock sensor and Crank position sensors will arrive Tuesday. Crank and cam sensors were already wired with fresh wires and connectors but after much soul searching I was uncomfortable that they were unshielded so I picked up 50ft of 2 conductor shielded Tefzel.
Attached Image

Key to good wiring is good documentation.
Attached Image

Also fixed and painted the front IC mount.
Attached Image

And replaced the other water pump return line with AN. I did this on porsti with Grey's heater return/bypass as inspiration and just happened to have a 1/4NPT/6AN fitting in the garage...

Attached Image

Some may say I have trust issues but push lock fittings make me nervous.

Attached Image

This thing was bothering me so as I was cleaning up for the night I decided to shorten it. Results can be found in the first two engine pics...paint still drying.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Apr 1 2019, 06:43 AM
Post #1146

Heads Up: I didn't do a THING to that transmission. I was told that it was in good working order, and had a cryoed main in it from a rebuild 5,000mi ago, but other than draining the oil out of it. I did nothing.

...not that it matters. I'm sure you've been over every bolt I put in the car "just to make sure". (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Apr 1 2019, 07:14 AM
Post #1147

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

6 years, 58 pages!! how close are we to having it back on the road?
I was going to give you a hard time about that but then I realized that ive had my car 10 years aog had it on the road on and off, but was not until last year that it was really finished. this is really cool and I may be a bit jealous, my thought was that there has to be an easier and faster way to put a suby motor in a 914? kudos to your perseverance it will surely be worth it! I hope next time I am up that way to Cincy to see my nephew that this thing is running and on the road I would love to see it- or better yet bring it to Okteenerfest!
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Apr 1 2019, 07:37 AM
Post #1148

914-6 GT in waiting

It's a good read for anyone contemplating a conversion. The engines don't just plug in all by themselves. There's a lot of work that goes into a successful swap and the devil is in the details. It's not the solution for someone who just doesn't want to spend the money rebuilding the original engine. Scott is taking this to another level in terms of fit and finish. My car will be a basic conversion with good functioning parts but nothing exotic or custom.
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Apr 1 2019, 08:08 AM
Post #1149

That's opposite lock!!

QUOTE(CptTripps @ Apr 1 2019, 08:43 AM) *

Heads Up: I didn't do a THING to that transmission. I was told that it was in good working order, and had a cryoed main in it from a rebuild 5,000mi ago, but other than draining the oil out of it. I did nothing.

...not that it matters. I'm sure you've been over every bolt I put in the car "just to make sure". (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Does it have the 2wd spline coupler installed?
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Apr 1 2019, 08:16 AM
Post #1150

That's opposite lock!!

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Apr 1 2019, 09:14 AM) *

I was going to give you a hard time about that but then I realized that ive had my car 10 years aog had it on the road on and off, but was not until last year that it was really finished. this is really cool and I may be a bit jealous, my thought was that there has to be an easier and faster way to put a suby motor in a 914? kudos to your perseverance it will surely be worth it! I hope next time I am up that way to Cincy to see my nephew that this thing is running and on the road I would love to see it- or better yet bring it to Okteenerfest!

Completion date is set at Mid April and it will be heading to the east cost. You will have to convince Tom to bring it out to Okteenerfest. When you get to Cincy you are still welcome to stop by and check out PorSTI...and probably Marks car.

QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 1 2019, 09:37 AM) *

It's a good read for anyone contemplating a conversion. The engines don't just plug in all by themselves. There's a lot of work that goes into a successful swap and the devil is in the details. It's not the solution for someone who just doesn't want to spend the money rebuilding the original engine. Scott is taking this to another level in terms of fit and finish. My car will be a basic conversion with good functioning parts but nothing exotic or custom.

The turbo and stand alone ECU add a ton of complexity to the swap.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Apr 1 2019, 09:17 AM
Post #1151

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Amenson @ Apr 1 2019, 10:16 AM) *

Completion date is set at Mid April and it will be heading to the east cost. You will have to convince Tom to bring it out to Okteenerfest. When you get to Cincy you are still welcome to stop by and check out PorSTI...and probably Marks car.

QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 1 2019, 09:37 AM) *

The turbo and stand alone ECU add a ton of complexity to the swap.

Great to hear! thats really soon. Thanks for invite i will look you up when we come up.
I heard from a local thst the cars and coffee scene is changed due to the coffee joint Fuel Cincinnati closed, did they find a new place to meet? There were a lot of really nice cars last time i was there.

I agree with what mark said the attention is in the details and does not compare to a standard build for sure its awesome to see such attention to details.
should be a very dependable driver once finished.
+Quote Post
theer
post Apr 1 2019, 03:56 PM
Post #1152

Member No.: 19,014
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Amenson @ Apr 1 2019, 10:08 AM) *

QUOTE(CptTripps @ Apr 1 2019, 08:43 AM) *

Does it have the 2wd spline coupler installed?

See page 17 of this thread... unless that's a different transmission, it has been converted to 2wd.

Tom
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Apr 2 2019, 02:59 AM
Post #1153

QUOTE(theer @ Apr 1 2019, 04:56 PM) *

See page 17 of this thread... unless that's a different transmission, it has been converted to 2wd.

Correct. It's been converted properly to 2WD.

I was only saying that I didn't rebuild any of it, and to make sure that you put trans fluid back in it before you go tearing down the road. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
914forme
post Apr 2 2019, 12:21 PM
Post #1154

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

Great to hear! thats really soon. Thanks for invite i will look you up when we come up.
I heard from a local thst the cars and coffee scene is changed due to the coffee joint Fuel Cincinnati closed, did they find a new place to meet? There were a lot of really nice cars last time i was there.

The car and the craftsman that is working on it are both located just north of Columbus Ohio, about 2 hours north of Cincinnati, Ohio.

If it is not reliable it will not be do to a lack of craftsmanship. It could be due to Murphy and the Some Times (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) Happens Rule.

+Quote Post
Amenson
post Apr 3 2019, 10:12 PM
Post #1155

That's opposite lock!!

QUOTE(CptTripps @ Apr 2 2019, 04:59 AM) *

QUOTE(theer @ Apr 1 2019, 04:56 PM) *

Correct. It's been converted properly to 2WD.

I was only saying that I didn't rebuild any of it, and to make sure that you put trans fluid back in it before you go tearing down the road. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Just needed to confirm after you mentioned that you did not do a thing to the transmission...taking it apart, removing the AWD parts and installing the spline couple definitely falls in the category of doing something!

QUOTE(914forme @ Apr 2 2019, 02:21 PM) *

The car and the craftsman that is working on it are both located just north of Columbus Ohio, about 2 hours north of Cincinnati, Ohio.

If it is not reliable it will not be do to a lack of craftsmanship. It could be due to Murphy and the Some Times (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) Happens Rule.

I will be seriously angry if anything is problematic with this car...details matter.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Amenson
post Apr 4 2019, 07:56 PM
Post #1156

That's opposite lock!!

Finished up the engine side. Once it is terminated at the bulkhead connectors I will take it out and wrap it.

Attached Image

Time for the ecu side...setup and ready to go.
Attached Image

Some hours later. Could have been quicker but weather pack connectors are really fussy to properly crimp on the seal.

Attached Image

Lets vote...does Grey need a party mode? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blowup.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blowup.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blowup.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
theer
post Apr 4 2019, 08:20 PM
Post #1157

Member No.: 19,014
Region Association: North East States

I vote YES for pahty mode!
+Quote Post
914forme
post Apr 5 2019, 11:22 AM
Post #1158

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
to ANTILAG (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Apr 5 2019, 11:37 AM
Post #1159

That's opposite lock!!

QUOTE(914forme @ Apr 5 2019, 01:22 PM) *

It would at least put a quick end to the turbo so that Tom would be forced to upgrade.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Apr 5 2019, 12:37 PM
Post #1160

914-6 GT in waiting

Please explain this for the non turbo people like me.

Nevermind - looked it up on Wikipedia
+Quote Post

62 Pages V « < 56 57 58 59 60 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:57 AM