Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT: Digital Camera, Looking any recommendations?
Sparky
post Dec 9 2004, 09:45 PM
Post #1

Mahna Mahna!

Group: Members
Member No.: 847

Ok I'm not going to retire my 35MM or my Medium format cameras yet, but I think it's about time I took the plunge. I figure 400 should get me a good camera. Any thoughts or recommendations?

My best,
Mike D.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
vortrex
post Dec 9 2004, 10:18 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 4
Region Association: None

for $400 I would look into the new lumix series from panasonic. 12x zoom and optical image stabilizer are two huge selling points, along with a leica lens.

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/store...Model=DMC-FZ15K
+Quote Post
Ctrout
post Dec 9 2004, 10:27 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 2,091

If you are already working in 35mm and medium format, I don't think that a $400 digital wil satisfy your need for versatility (35mm) or for image quality (medium format). You could get the best of both worlds in a camera like the Canon D1s but it is very costly. I could almost assure you though that with a D1s, you would probably never touch your current equipment again except to sell it. I got a digital Canon SLR several years ago and have had no need for film since and no regrets. I highly recommend that you do your research and pay close attention to pricing trends which will be greatly affected by the occurence of the PMA show which is when most new models are released. Check This website for the latest and greatest on technology, pricing, and customer satisfaction. The forums will be very helpful in finding out what people are saying about the latest models and models that are yet to come. Forums are categorized by make/model.
+Quote Post
Sparky
post Dec 9 2004, 10:41 PM
Post #4

Mahna Mahna!

Thanks for the input. I've been leaning towards the digital slr's and may borrow my mother in laws Canon D30 for the weekend. I compared the new panasonics against the Canon powershot s1 and the s1 is looking like an affordable alternative to the digital slr's. I am partial to the Canon's. That being said my favorite camera is my Agfa Clack. I see the Digital Rebel is coming down in price maybe I'll hold out a little longer.

Anyone else?

My best,
Mike D.
+Quote Post
Ctrout
post Dec 9 2004, 11:00 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 2,091

I have had my D30 for almost 3 years now and I love it. The only things that it lacks is resolution and focusing ability. It has trouble in low light or low contrast. It serves me well. The latest entry level Canon SLRs have fixed the resolution and focus issues as I understand. Even in the 3 MP D30 though the image quality and color is smooth as silk! I can only imagine what the latest models are capable of.
+Quote Post
anthony
post Dec 9 2004, 11:08 PM
Post #6

2270 club

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 218

Sparky, I have a like new condtion Digital Rebel kit that I was about to put on ebay. I'd sell it for $650. Once you go DSLR you can never turn back. I just upgraded to the 20D.
+Quote Post
bernbomb914
post Dec 9 2004, 11:09 PM
Post #7

one of the oldest Farts on this board

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 36

Make sure the camera has a fast response time as you will be taking action shots. Some cameras take forever to make up their mind when to click because the have a slow focus time. I am speaking from experiance unfortunitely.

Bernie
+Quote Post
aveale
post Dec 10 2004, 07:08 AM
Post #8

Fun Times

Member No.: 2,563

I have used many different digital cameras.

Speed is the biggest differential between them all.

More optical zoom is preferable over digital zoom because it does not get distorted when you blow them up.

$400 can get you a nice camera - any of the big brands will do!

T
+Quote Post
jwalters
post Dec 10 2004, 07:49 AM
Post #9

Sooo Close.......

Member No.: 2,068
Region Association: Europe

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) I know you are looking to get a high end one--but just to tell you about mine, it is a Fuji Finepix A340 model--got it at best buy for 169.95.

For me it does everything--4 mega pixles---all the flash options--4 different picture quality options--( with my 36 mg up-grade chip I can take 35 shots at unreal high quality--or 130 shots at its lowest, yet still excellant quality, I have numerous shots at this low-end posted on other threads)

Another neat feature--and they probably all have this, is when you are looking at the memory shot--you can pan up / down / side<>side and Zoom in on various objects---all w/o Zooming in on the entire shot---It is wayyyyy cool.............

I know I have a friend with a 500.00 Canon--looks just like a 35mm---he loves it as well...

Good luck.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
Bruce Allert
post Dec 10 2004, 08:16 AM
Post #10

Hellions asleep

Member No.: 441
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I'll be going with the Digital Rebel. I've used them a few times, watched others use them & love their quickness with which they focus and take the shot. I have 2 Canon Elan 35 mm's with various lenses that will couple with the Rebel. If you have Canons already you can purchase just the Rebel body & save$$$. Last I saw, just the body was for $550 thru B&H photo on line.

....b (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
jdogg
post Dec 10 2004, 08:18 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 204

Mike-
I had a Powershot S1 and HATED it. (used it at the ECR this year) It took excellent pictures, but the slow as death shutter lag caused me to miss a lot of action shots. The picture quality was excellent, but the frustration of missed shots caused me to sell it and step up to the Canon Rebel DSLR. I'm not lookin' back, either.
Of course the DSLR is a little bulky for spontaneous snap shots, and I don' t share well, so I did pick up a little Nikon 3100 for my wife for Xmas. ($160-refurbished)

Jason
+Quote Post
Sparky
post Dec 10 2004, 04:02 PM
Post #12

Mahna Mahna!

Wow so many options. Shutter and focusing speed is a concern as I plan on taking a mix of action and stills. I have a plan... I think I'll go with the Powershot s1 for now (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif) then have an excuse to get the digital rebel body once the wife gets frustrated enough with the s1.

Jason, we had action shots?! I guess being up front I missed most of those. Sure you guys weren't just looking at my (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif) ?

My best,
Mike D.
+Quote Post
qa1142
post Dec 10 2004, 04:31 PM
Post #13

Whiplash

Member No.: 2,140

I just paid $49 for 3.2Mpx Kodak at Office max for my daughter. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Good enough I think, why spend $400?
+Quote Post
Bruce Allert
post Dec 10 2004, 04:47 PM
Post #14

Hellions asleep

QUOTE(jdogg @ Dec 10 2004, 07:18 AM)
Mike-
I had a Powershot S1 and HATED it. (used it at the ECR this year) It took excellent pictures, but the slow as death shutter lag caused me to miss a lot of action shots. The picture quality was excellent, but the frustration of missed shots ..........
Jason

My Bro-N-Law has that one & says the same thing.

Love/Hate relationship thing (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

.....b
+Quote Post
Zylinder
post Dec 10 2004, 05:02 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 3,135

I just love my Rebel. I had existing Canon lenses, so it made sense. Photoshop CS has a wonderful interface for adjusting RAW images as you open them up - it has saved many an image that I thought was too far gone.

I have taken some pretty decent pictures since I bought the it - simply the law of averages; the more shots you take the better your chances are of taking a some good ones. I did a little software training at US News & World Report recently and I was amazed at how many hundreds of images the photographers pour into the system every week - both digital and transparency.

Here are some pretty big samples off my Rebel. (might not open in browser - save it out)

http://wholewheat.com/stock/
+Quote Post
Bruce Allert
post Dec 10 2004, 11:45 PM
Post #16

Hellions asleep

QUOTE(Zylinder @ Dec 10 2004, 04:02 PM)
I just love my Rebel.

I had existing Canon lenses, so it made sense. simply the law of averages; the more shots you take the better your chances are of taking a some good ones.

I was amazed at how many hundreds of images the photographers pour into the system every week - both digital and transparency.

Here are some pretty big samples off my Rebel.

Nice shot of the still life Tulips & Fruit Mr. Z. I love shooting available light. Play with the brightness & contrast on that one. I messed with it & made it "Pop" right out of it's frame! Bet you could blow that one up & have a winner.

I'd read an article a few years back about a photographer that was shooting for National Geographic. He said when he was finished with the shoot (a few weeks) he had over 15,000 images to submit (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)
Stands to reason if you take enough pictures yer bound to get a few "good" ones (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) That's why I take more than necessary (or maybe it is necessary) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)

....b
+Quote Post
Kargeek
post Dec 11 2004, 12:56 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 430

If you are used to using a 35mm SLR and have the cannon Ultrasonic lenses, step up and buy the 6.3mp rebel or a D10-D20. Nikon has some great stuff too but I like Canon.

I had a Canon 35mm elan II film camera and lenses; first bought a Cannon 3.3 mp G1 then stepped up to a 6.3 mp D10. Now that the Digital SLR's are coming down in price it's a great time to buy. The new D20 is 8 megapixles and the same cost as the last years D10

Here's some action shots of my son's middle school flag football team using a 70-300 zoom lens.

Cannon shots

Can't do this with a point and shoot!

Buy it, put under the tree and tell the wife that santa brought it to you for Xmas!

DH
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 06:50 AM