Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

16 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> what do you think of this 914-6? [I bought it!], back to original Irish Green now
racerbvd
post Aug 26 2013, 10:13 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 226
Region Association: None

I have the correct front valance if you chose to go back stock.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/forums.pelicanparts.com-226-1377576788.1.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/forums.pelicanparts.com-226-1377576788.2.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/forums.pelicanparts.com-226-1377576789.3.jpg)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Aug 27 2013, 01:21 PM
Post #22

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 27 2013, 12:06 AM) *

Anyone know why the factory did this on -6s? It doesn't make any sense to me. It's ugly and seems to serve no purpose.

Only assumptions. I have a video of a 70's era 911 assembly line. The front end is installed as a completed unit as these go down the line. It comes toward the front of the car with the struts in a horizontal position and is tilted into position and bolted up in one smooth operation.

It may be a flag to denote a six tub that would get the basic 911T front suspension (with the exception of the special 17mm 914 size t-bars with the 911 spline count).

They could be aligned differently with the slightly different track and again, the black used as a marker to indicate a six.

I kinda like it. It was applied with a sloppy brush and reeks of one of those quirky -6 things. I even emulated it on my build because I thought it was a neat, yet odd feature.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/sphotos-a-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net-1110-1377576409.1.jpg)

Like the roof blinker?
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
post Aug 27 2013, 03:08 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,245
Region Association: Southern California

Steve,
Well educated move. You posted it and asked for advice and hopefully you used it in your favor to set your target price. Congrats on another -6
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Aug 27 2013, 09:37 PM
Post #24

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Like the roof blinker?

All sixes had those too... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/sphotos-a-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net-1110-1377661045.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
siverson
post Nov 2 2013, 07:34 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 654

> I have the correct front valance if you chose to go back stock

That's actually an old photo, it has a repro stock looking front valence on it now.
+Quote Post
siverson
post Nov 2 2013, 07:54 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Well I've been digging into fixing all the things wrong with my new -6.

I assumed the engine would need a full rebuild, and of course it did. And like all 914 projects it ends up taking twice and long and twice as much as you'd expect.

I've done 95% of the work on my orange conversion, but for this project I'm just planning on keeping it a stock [very nice] driver and letting some shops do 90% of the work.

I had European Motorsports in nearby Vista do the engine rebuild. They do general euro car maintenance and work on some very high end cars at the same time. An original 73 RS and original speedster were both getting engine rebuilds at the same time as mine. I've never had them do major work like this before, but they come pretty highly recommended.

I'm pretty happy with the results and communication so far, but I thought I'd share some photos here for any additional input you guys may have. While I'm not building a perfect concours car, I guess I did expect things to end up, cosmetically, a little more perfect and shiny. Especially given the $$$$$ involved. Or maybe I'm just way overly anal retentive on my orange car. Let me know your thoughts.

After much deliberation, we re-used the old cylinders and bored them out to 81mm (from 80mm) and have new 81mm pistons. E cams, updated tensioners, and otherwise 100% stock. I really didn't have any interest in trying to get a little more horsepower out of it, because even if I could get 170+ HP out of the little 2.0 (or 2.4 or ...) it would still be a relatively (to a 3.6) slow car. So the build was just to get a very nice 2.0 motor.

Factory 80mm 2.0 pistons are much (like an additional $6k) more expensive than going to 81mm. And in the interest of keeping everything stock, I didn't want to machine the heads for anything larger. I think it will end up with 130 HP or so. Should be fun.

And new flywheel, new clutch, and rebuilt the transmission too...

See any problems? Things that should be changed before it goes back into the car?

My questions:

- is that hardware (1 nut, 1 wingnut) correct for the air cleaner/snorkel?

- I'm guessing blue plug wires are wrong?

- can the carbs be cleaned up easily with a little more effort or ?

- rubber fuel lines ok or should I really bother finding german/cloth lines?

- allen bolts on cam covers look right?

- whats proper for the valve covers? (lowers were updated to later covers)

- what the proper way to cover/protect the oil temp/pressure wires? or is there nothing like it currently is?

Thanks for any tips!

And I'll follow up shortly with the "replace the battery tray" repair that turned into something much more! (first time that's happened in a 914, right?!?! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

-Steve

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
siverson
post Nov 2 2013, 07:58 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Nov 2 2013, 09:25 PM
Post #28

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

To me, there are some things that just make sense to change. With todays fuels, fuel lines is one of them. I'm glad you have this car. It's in good hands.
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Nov 2 2013, 10:13 PM
Post #29

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Member No.: 12
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Small 914 world. I looked at that 6 for a customer.
Crag at CAMP
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Nov 3 2013, 04:43 AM
Post #30

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744

studs on lower covers and get SC lowers , as they are aluminum and look stock,.air cleaner should be plastic. plug wires? no biggy consumable
Irish Green .....
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
bcheney
post Nov 3 2013, 10:26 AM
Post #31

Member No.: 1,348
Region Association: South East States

What a cool story and project. I hadn't seen this thread until today. I did notice something IMPORTANT...at least if you want your valve adjustments to go well and not have to include dropping or lowering the engine. The turbo valve covers must be machined down about one half inch on the rear half or they will not be able to be removed once the engine is in the car. Some folks say only the right side needs to me machined...I didn't take the chance and just had both covers machined down. I've attached a couple of pics that Rich Johnson sent to me when I was making this mod to my car. I took the covers to a local machine shop and I think they charged me about 1/2 hour labor or approximately $30 to do the work. Additionally, some years ago I found a photobucket from "RJ Wilmoth" that has quite a lot of great pics of his fairly unmolested 1971 Silver 914/6...It's a beauty...I have used these pics to help understand what things look like for parts of my car which is a -6 conversion. Here is the link to his photobucket pics. Some great shots of the engine and engine bay along with many other areas of the car. Hope this helps!

http://s199.photobucket.com/user/rj968/lib...975035906505395

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
siverson
post Nov 3 2013, 12:10 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

> The turbo valve covers must be machined down

Yup, that's on the list. And I think they mentioned they were going to use bolts instead of studs/nuts there...

-Steve
+Quote Post
siverson
post Nov 3 2013, 12:13 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

> fuel lines is one of them

Yup, all the fuel lines have been replaced, I guess I was just wondering about using the rubber ones (pictures) versus what I believe should be german/cloth covered fuel lines.

-Steve
+Quote Post
siverson
post Nov 3 2013, 12:15 PM
Post #34

Advanced Member

A couple more photos...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
bcheney
post Nov 3 2013, 03:09 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 1,348
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(siverson @ Nov 3 2013, 01:13 PM) *

> fuel lines is one of them

Yup, all the fuel lines have been replaced, I guess I was just wondering about using the rubber ones (pictures) versus what I believe should be german/cloth covered fuel lines.

-Steve

Keep this in mind that today's pump gasolines contain additives which will degrade older rubber hoses and even new hoses that aren't made specifically to guard against the additives. Sometimes the breakdown can be in as little as one year. Even brand new low pressure fuel hose (non-fuel injection) isn't guaranteed to protect against this degradation. You can get rubber hose today called 30R9 that is resistant to corrosive fuel additives. It's an excellent choice for carb applications. Looking at your pics I can't tell if the fuel lines are made from 30R9 or not. If they are you will see 30R9 labled on them somewhere along the outside. You can find it locally...Just have to ask for it specifically. I used it for all of flexible lines on my -6 conversion. Chris Foley owner of Tangerine Racing who you can find on the web or in our Vendor Forum, is a big advocate for these lines.

http://www.tangerineracing.com/stainlessfuellines.htm
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Nov 3 2013, 03:15 PM
Post #36

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110

Neither one is correct on the air cleaner, that said, neither is the air cleaner. The snorkel is correct but the cleaner housing is not.

Both should be "Plastic" wing nuts on black plastic studs with black plastic nuts to lock the studs in place.

Speaking of plastic, the original -6 housing is plastic, low profile with the cold enrichment circuit squirters built in. You can possibly use an old MFI housing (same housing without the cumbersome enrichment circuit) but you may have to drill a few holes for your float vents.

Black plug wires for sure.

Carbs, yes but, how far do you want to go? They do look pretty bad though.

I prefer new cloth covered fuel lines. Your call.
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Nov 3 2013, 04:53 PM
Post #37

914 Guru

Member No.: 50
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Re: valve covers. Do you need to machine turbo covers if you don't mind dropping the engine for maint?
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Nov 3 2013, 05:35 PM
Post #38

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Nov 3 2013, 05:53 PM) *

Re: valve covers. Do you need to machine turbo covers if you don't mind dropping the engine for maint?

No. But machining the covers should be very low cost. You're just knocking all the ribs down ~1/2"

Some guys use bolts instead of studs but then you risk loosening up the threads with repeated removal.
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Nov 3 2013, 06:27 PM
Post #39

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176
Region Association: None

QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 3 2013, 06:35 PM) *

QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Nov 3 2013, 05:53 PM) *

No. But machining the covers should be very low cost. You're just knocking all the ribs down ~1/2"

Some guys use bolts instead of studs but then you risk loosening up the threads with repeated removal.

Congratulations ! Good Luck
The Marelli distributor is right, but it is also not so good. If you need points I have new. Get a Bosch.
The oil temp and pressure wires are not covered, correct as pictured.
Tins and front mount way too shiny. Hardware should be yellow chromate.
Positive battery terminal is a generic replacement and it will be difficult to find a suitable appearing substitute. The original end is a permanent part of the cable and that is part of the engine harness. I'd look into a 356 positive battery terminal. It's detachable and looks about right.
It will also have the necessary attachment point for the alt. and other wires.
Metal wing nuts and flat washers are right for the air filter snorkel. But I don't think that you have the wing nut. I can send pics if you need.
What's the VIN ?
+Quote Post
siverson
post Nov 3 2013, 09:15 PM
Post #40

Advanced Member

> original -6 housing is plastic, low profile with the cold enrichment circuit squirters built in

Is the 911 plastic housing different than the 914-6 plastic housing?

I.e. is this the right one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-901-911-PL...340&vxp=mtr

> The Marelli distributor is right, but it is also not so good.

By "not so good" do you mean just dirty or ?

VIN is 9140430377

-Steve
+Quote Post

16 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 09:06 AM