Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How to shock the wife...told her how much money..., engine rebuild is....sorta :)
Mueller
post Dec 10 2004, 12:55 PM
Post #1

914 Freak!

Group: Members
Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

Talking with the wife this morning about me selling the white car and putting some of the money into the green car to get it mechanically sound as well as cosmeticlly appealing.....told her that by the end of Jan. I should have my 2.0 back together and that will go into the car and once that is done, car should be darn near perfect for a daily driver.

Converstation went something like this:

"so, how much does it cost to rebuild the engine??"

oh, about 4 grand

"!@#$#$, how can it cost so much??"

that is just what it cost

.......well, I did omit the fact that yesterday I ordered a set of Nickies that pretty much doubled the original cost of the rebuild (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

should be a sweet little 2.0 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rocking nana.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
RON S.
post Dec 10 2004, 01:06 PM
Post #2

9140430841, FINALLY RUNNING

Member No.: 724
Region Association: South East States

I know your pain,
I've spent probably close to 15k on my project over the years.My wife has seen the boxes come,but I've hijacked the receipts.
I tell her I'm buying a part,but never let on how much it cost's.
I keep a bank account w/only my name on it to keep everything low profile.Been working good so far.
Some how,I don't think a wife can or will appreciate the value of an 8k engine,or a 5k transmission when the lawn needs mowing or they want a new washer.

But,somehow we all get by.
Ron
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Dec 10 2004, 01:11 PM
Post #3

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

My wife is getting better about knowing what things cost. I cannot hide costs from her either because when I take on someone else's project and buy parts, she sees what things can cost. The latest was a set of new alloy lug nuts. I think she said, "My god! There just little nuts!"

To that I think I said "Hey now!" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Dec 10 2004, 01:12 PM
Post #4

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

You need to tell her how much money your saving by repairing the old motor instead of buying the new Boxster..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) After all it just made more sense... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Dec 10 2004, 01:12 PM
Post #5

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

I have my "goodies" shipped to my work, sneak them in...

I do make sure she sees an item going out of the house when I have sold something....

is this lying to your wife???
+Quote Post
type47
post Dec 10 2004, 01:15 PM
Post #6

Viermeister

Member No.: 994
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

you should quote kerry herr's signature (Va914):

"honey, the parts i sold paid for the new part" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

just received my teeny, tiny box with ceramic lifters in it.... "honey, it couldn't cost that much, the box is too small" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Dec 10 2004, 01:28 PM
Post #7

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(RON S. @ Dec 10 2004, 01:06 PM)
Some how,I don't think a wife can or will appreciate the value of an 8k engine,or a 5k transmission when the lawn needs mowing or they want a new washer.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bs.gif)

You have never meant my wife. She can rebuild an engine on her own. She knows how much the parts cost, and why they cost so much. She also massages the budget to make it happen. She is the whole reason I have a garage, and a lift to go in it!!!

She is the best thing that ever happened to me..........
+Quote Post
McMark
post Dec 10 2004, 01:31 PM
Post #8

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Dec 10 2004, 11:12 AM)
You need to tell her how much money your saving by repairing the old motor instead of buying the new Boxster..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) After all it just made more sense... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)

Yeah, we all need a big board painted like a thermometer with a picture of the boxster at the top. For each dollar we spend we paint a little more red showing how the money compares. Just make sure to use the price of a NEW boxsterS and never let it get past the 3/4 mark.
+Quote Post
914werke
post Dec 10 2004, 01:36 PM
Post #9

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453

Clay you are a lucky man! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Dec 10 2004, 01:36 PM
Post #10

neo life

Member No.: 159

Mike,
This is hilarious. You should have added a pole to this thread. I've tried to get home before my wife to stash the boxes in the garage. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) A few occasions she came home during a break (she's walking distance to her business) and busted me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)
Actually she's been pretty great about my new project. The only downside is I have to buy her something to "balance" out my purchase. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
Felix
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Dec 10 2004, 01:41 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Dec 10 2004, 01:36 PM)
Clay you are a lucky man! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I agree, but it does have it's downsides. I can't hedge on the price.. if it's not in the budget, then I don't get it. Plus, she may be able to rebuild her own engine, but I am the (retired) professional mechanic. So I have to fix HER 914 before I can work on my own. Which explains part of why mine is taking years to get back on the road.

The upside is if I need help in the garage, she will throw on old clothes and come help. She may make jokes about "breaking a nail" but it doesn't bother her. She has even figured out how to explain grease under long fingernails to her co-workers.
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Dec 10 2004, 01:48 PM
Post #12

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

ive had parts shipped to my dorm before (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) . parents are like 'what did you buy this time?, well at least your enjoying the money you worked hard for'

my car is a bank account eater! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
StratPlayer
post Dec 10 2004, 01:57 PM
Post #13

StratPlayer

Member No.: 27
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

LOL this thread is great,,, I just bought some heads and paid for them using a money order so no paper trail. My wife won't know what I spent on these heads. Man, I can see I'm not the only one here hiding the cost of what goes into getting a teener the way you would like it to be.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Dec 10 2004, 02:01 PM
Post #14

Guys.. hiding this shit is going to bite you in the ass in the future. No matter how hard you try, she WILL find it. You really need to fess up and get it straight before it ends up in a big ass fight with the wife. BTDT.. won't do it again. Causes way too much stress on a marriage.
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Dec 10 2004, 02:20 PM
Post #15

Village Idiot

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Dec 10 2004, 12:01 PM)
Guys.. hiding this shit is going to bite you in the ass in the future. No matter how hard you try, she WILL find it. You really need to fess up and get it straight before it ends up in a big ass fight with the wife. BTDT.. won't do it again. Causes way too much stress on a marriage.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Be carefull. Not that I think I have that great of a system worked out. But I do let my wife in on many of the things I buy for the 914, which isn't much these days. It is pretty much a done car. Just things to keep me in small project mode. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
nebreitling
post Dec 10 2004, 02:33 PM
Post #16

Member Emeritus

Member No.: 478

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) also. just be sure to have a seperate "jewlery" fund incase she finds out.
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Dec 10 2004, 02:47 PM
Post #17

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

All you guys better hope that your better halfs never figure out how to turn on a computer or your all busted. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Dec 10 2004, 02:47 PM
Post #18

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

Our agreement is: I have my money, she has her money. We both throw X amount into a shared account for the big stuff (house, mostly). I don't ask her what handbags cost, she doesn't ask me what car parts cost. She's been incredibly supportive when it comes to buying silly cars, too. The only time she asks about cost, it's out of curiousity.

It helps that I'm fairly cheap. It really helps that her year old car costs more than twice what my three cars cost.
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Dec 10 2004, 02:54 PM
Post #19

Village Idiot

QUOTE(lapuwali @ Dec 10 2004, 12:47 PM)

It helps that I'm fairly cheap. It really helps that her year old car costs more than twice what my three cars cost.

That is a good point. My wife has a note on her car still. That coupled with cost of insurance and still mainting the car, she probably spends more a month on her car than I do on mine.

But she rarely comments on it. Example. Before I can send my dash to the Evil one, I have to get her cracked windshield replaced.

ugh. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Dec 10 2004, 03:18 PM
Post #20

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865

Our agreement is: I have my money, she has her money. We both throw X amount into a shared account for the big stuff (house, mostly). I don't ask her what handbags cost, she doesn't ask me what car parts cost. She's been incredibly supportive when it comes to buying silly cars, too. The only time she asks about cost, it's out of curiousity.

Same here, it works for us. Does she know how much I spend on my car, nope, does she care, nope. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Well not as long as we can pay all our bills and put at least 1/3 of our income away in savings.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 01:42 PM