Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Evilbay doings, opinions please
Mueller
post Dec 11 2004, 12:04 AM
Post #21

914 Freak!

Group: Members
Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

but according to eBay, did you "lose" the auction?

did you recieve an e-mail saying "sorry, you did not win"
if so, then I'd have to say you are off the hook and the auction is null and void....

let's say the 5 people bid on it with the 1st bid being $5...winner bails then they go to you, you say sorry don't want it know, is the seller "obligated" to now go to bidder #3 and then down the line until he gets a yes??
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Dec 11 2004, 01:07 AM
Post #22

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

QUOTE(Mueller @ Dec 10 2004, 10:04 PM)
but according to eBay, did you "lose" the auction?

did you recieve an e-mail saying "sorry, you did not win"
if so, then I'd have to say you are off the hook and the auction is null and void....

Yes & yes.
I figure I'm off the hook also. Just wordering what you guys thought of the whole deal.

I've decided not to deal with the seller. It may be circumstance, but it smells funny.

Anyd:
I know what I did, but thanks for explaining it to me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
The other bidder bid 3 times. 700,800, & 800+. & won at 811.
+Quote Post
BarberDave
post Dec 11 2004, 06:58 AM
Post #23

Barberdave

Member No.: 135
Region Association: Upper MidWest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
I agree with Andy , on auto your last bid was 801.00.
Shill bidding is a fact on E-Bay and nothing we can do about it. E-Bay has a way to report shill bidding,but what can they really do about it.
If I really want a item on E-Bay I set on the action untill the last 2 min. then enter my high bid. I get some and lose some . Never bid even dollars,always add .01 to your high bid. Works more times than not.
Dave (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif)
+Quote Post
scotty914
post Dec 11 2004, 08:51 AM
Post #24

suby torque rules

Member No.: 924

my gf sold an old camera, the high bidder was over seas, well he never responded to any emails, the second bidder was contacted. the way ebay shows it was that he bid his highest bid... he did not want to pay it, but ebay set the price my gf said if he did not buy it for that price she would re list it. well after a day of thinking the second bidder took it at his high bid, for two reasons one thats what he was willing to pay, two its the price ebay did the second chance offer, its how ebay is set up.

i look at it this if i put in that number as my highest bid, i am willing to pay that price i am still going to buy it. but i bought a porsche zippo, for x then the seller came back and offered everyone a second chance on their highest bid, he did not have it listed that he had more than one for sale so i only agreed to pay the second highest bid, he took me up on it.
+Quote Post
mack914
post Dec 11 2004, 09:35 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 2,306

Wait till he makes up the difference by charging you $150 for shipping. I buy and sell alot of items on E-Bay and have a pretty good idea of what things cost to ship. I recently won a ten dollar item that weighed less than ten pounds. Seller wanted to charge me $30 for shipping. Making up the difference by over charging on shipping is a good way for a seller to nix that good deal.
+Quote Post
STL914
post Dec 11 2004, 09:42 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 1,271
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Since the other bidder won the auction, you are under no obligation what so ever to buy the item. If the seller offers it to you at an agreed upon price, it's your choice.

If you don't feel comfortable with how this panned out, I'd
stay away from it.
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Dec 11 2004, 11:43 AM
Post #27

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Member No.: 12
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Overcharging on shipping is my pet peeve for not only ebay sellers but retailers in general. It just pisses me off to no end. I ask the shipping costs up front and if I don't agree with it I will let the seller know this and if there is no adjustment, then I look elsewhere.
CCLINUSPSFLATRATE
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Dec 11 2004, 12:19 PM
Post #28

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

the "legally binding contract... blah blah" that often goes with the ad is a bunch of crap. jp, have you checked out pesky's race car ad in the classifieds. i think he was selling some raised spindles.

kevin
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Dec 11 2004, 12:21 PM
Post #29

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I do a "fair" amount of eBaying. Not tons, just the stuff that doesn't sell here after a couple of weeks.

Here's what I "think" could have happened:

He bid up the auction to see what you were willing to pay. Many different ways of doing this. He could have had a freind do it or even have a separate eBay account for someone in his family or another e-mail address he ownes. You don't have to be the brightest bulb on the tree to understand that people auto-bid and the "bid-up/shill bidding" method can snuff it out. Most sellers then figure there's no harm in going back to the #2 man and offering the auction to him/her for the "Maximum" price they were willing to pay.

As stated above... you're off the hook.

Offer him $650.00. That's what he was willing to take (reserve price). -or- Offer him what you would consider to be the last viable price "before" person "X" entered the scene and started bidding them up to $811.00

If he doesn't take it, walk.

May I ask; What kind of struts with raised spindles are worth $801.00? You might have gone into detail before but I used the "Evelyn Woodhead Sped Redding Method" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Dec 11 2004, 12:38 PM
Post #30

PMB Performance

OK... found the auction.

Nice looking Bilsteins.

Here's something to look for... feedback ratings from one or the other. There are none. Doesn't mean much other than they haven't left feedback for one another previously. They "probably" haven't bid you up. What was the reason given for the "bail"?

Looks like you had a second high bid at $700.00 (couldn't find $650.00)

I think if you look around you could find those struts in stock configuration for $250-300.00. Have them bead blasted. Send them to Chris Foley to have the spindles raised. Repaint them John Deere green and I'm guessing you're pretty close to your original price.

So... buy them now with no labor or... fear not because you can always get another set for roughly the same price. No "bargin" there that I can see. Not bad at $650 but not "WOW" either.

Offer him $650 plus his dog. The savings in K-9 chow should make up the difference he's looking for over the course of 12 months.
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Dec 11 2004, 12:53 PM
Post #31

Saving and Enjoying Old Porsches

Member No.: 64

Eric, how do you search and find an ebay auction that is over? I often try to do it and fail. How did you find JP's (almost) struts?

BTW, there is also a possiblity, which most don't seem to want to consider, that the guy's bid was legit and he simply changed his mind. Quite reasonable that, if JP thought $801 was OK, the other guy thought $850. He bids and it only takes $811 to win so that's the max bid. $850 was there if JP had upped the ante. May be a deadbeat instead of a shill.
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Dec 11 2004, 01:00 PM
Post #32

PMB Performance

Do an "Advanced Search" and select "Completed listings only".

Type in Porsche Struts and look for December 8th and $811 (page 2 I believe)

there is also a possiblity, which most don't seem to want to consider, that the guy's bid was legit and he simply changed his mind

Yeah, that's kinda what I elude to in my second post.
They "probably" haven't bid you up.
It doesn't look too suspicious to me after seeing the auction and the bids. I'd still want a legitimate answer as to why he bailed.
+Quote Post
anthony
post Dec 11 2004, 01:08 PM
Post #33

2270 club

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 218

Ok, lets forget about struts. There are much more interesting items on ebay like this rare 356 distributor:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=7940048030
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Dec 11 2004, 01:16 PM
Post #34

PMB Performance

You can also use the "Advanced Search" feature to search for items by "Seller"

Like This

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Dec 11 2004, 04:09 PM
Post #35

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

If it was a "real" auction (vrs online), and the buyer flaked, they would re-auction the item, not offer it to you at your last bid. Because if the winning bidder wasn't going to buy it then any bids they placed are null and void.

Shill bidding may always be a factor at auctions. Several years ago a friend had quite a few things sold at one of the really big money auction houses, and after the things had sold they told him "oh yea, our so and so was bidding that up for you".

The bottom line is did you get what you wanted at a price you'd expect to pay? If you get caught up in "auction fever" and pay too much for something, then you've only got to blame yourself.

If the guy really wants to sell in on eBay, then he should second chance offer it to you, at that point you can negotiate price. I probably wouldn't purchase anything from this guy directly though.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
a9146luvr
post Dec 11 2004, 04:24 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 1,495

YEP, sounds familiar, i've reported incidents similiar to that to e-bay investigators and usually after a couple of days they reply with a generic "we have protection devices in place" crap. it's amazing how often an item will be up on auction three or four times in a 8 week time frame and i always get the same response from the seller as to why, it's always a "dead beat bidder", yea that is what i suspected you'ld claim, for the forth time right?
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Dec 11 2004, 10:01 PM
Post #37

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Dec 11 2004, 10:21 AM)

May I ask; What kind of struts with raised spindles are worth $801.00? You might have gone into detail before but I used the "Evelyn Woodhead Sped Redding Method" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

New Bilstein strut assys are around 450 each.
Chris wanted 270 to raise em' & do the bend.

One of mine is hurting so......

I can buy one new one & raise them myself.... Do the bend or use tie rod extensions. ......I'm a cheep
mo fo. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif).
+Quote Post
drgchapman
post Dec 11 2004, 11:32 PM
Post #38

Current Stable

Group: NoClassifiedAccess
Member No.: 2,789
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Kim is right, bid late. You get it for what your willing to pay......or not. No BS. Don't even give 'em a chance. I've e-bayed plenty, been burned, learned, lessons applied. Got hurt on the blue 914 as you may remember. Bid late.

Gary
+Quote Post
Sammy
post Dec 12 2004, 02:19 AM
Post #39

Member No.: 178

Here is the answer to all e-bay bidding:
http://snipeswipe.com/
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 03:35 PM