Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Went on Vacation in my 914, with a stop at RRC, Vacations over....back home...UPDATED WITH PICTURES
oldschool
post Aug 29 2013, 11:46 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,705
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(jsconst @ Aug 29 2013, 05:15 PM) *

Yep looks like that's what happened, had an idea that was the problem, I cooled off the car cooled off, started right up drove the last 2 miles into town, got a room at Hooters, guess I'll stay here tonight.

Walked down to Diablo's and met John (vegasracer), he was nice enough to buy me a few beers, thanks John.

Back at the room thinking about dinner then bed, head for Albuquerque at 2:00 am (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Jeff

wow, yes please take a few photos....but try not to use Andys camera (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JStroud
post Aug 30 2013, 03:20 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 12,594
Region Association: Northern California

Leaving Vegas heading for Albuquerque (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
Hopefully I'll make it there before it gets too hot.

Day 2 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) Hit rain

Attached Image

Found a 5 mile traffic jam in the middle of nowhere

Attached Image
Jeff
+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Aug 30 2013, 04:06 AM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,438
Region Association: South East States

Not a recommended solution. When I was in AZ for a while vapor lock was a standard problem. I installed a small valve on the fuel lines so I could release the pressure. Vapor lock, stop, turn the valve, and start the car. Worked quite well. But there are obvious drawbacks to venting hot gas vapor on a hot car! I eventually routed the discharge hose so it could be vented a few feet from the car. Overall while effective not a great idea. But may be better than being stuck on the I 15!
+Quote Post
Madswede
post Aug 30 2013, 09:08 AM
Post #24

Flat Out Driver

Member No.: 6,831
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(jsconst @ Aug 30 2013, 03:20 AM) *

Jeff

Safe travels Jeff. It's supposed to be hot here today (mid-90s), so good luck and if you get stuck somewhere let me know. I might be able to help: (505) nine eight zero, four eight eight two.
+Quote Post
JStroud
post Aug 30 2013, 10:29 AM
Post #25

QUOTE(Madswede @ Aug 30 2013, 08:08 AM) *

QUOTE(jsconst @ Aug 30 2013, 03:20 AM) *

Jeff

Safe travels Jeff. It's supposed to be hot here today (mid-90s), so good luck and if you get stuck somewhere let me know. I might be able to help: (505) nine eight zero, four eight eight two.

Thanks might be calling you, isn't there a 914 shop in Albuquerque ?
I need my TPS adjusted and I lost all my dash lights (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Otherwise the cars running good, should make Albuquerque around 12:30

Jeff
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Aug 30 2013, 10:45 AM
Post #26

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

*all* your dashlights? probably a fuse.
+Quote Post
JStroud
post Aug 30 2013, 09:49 PM
Post #27

Nope, not a fuse...have to look into it tomorrow.

Well made it to Albuquerque, car was really cutting out climbing the hills.
Got here called Jon (madswede), he gave me the name of the shop here in town.
Talked to Russ at PMCI, really nice guy, seemed real knowledgable.

Well turn out they were loading his 914 race car and heading out of town so he couldn't look at the car, but he was nice enough to spend some time on the phone with me asking about the symptoms, then said....pay attention this might help some of you out....smack the MPS with the end of a screw driver while the car is running. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

Says he sees it a lot with the altitude here if the MPS gets stuck it can't adjust to the elevation change.... Started my car smacked it twice..on the second smack the cars idle drastically changed, for the better...so I smacked it a couple more times for good measure (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) car is running perfect again (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Makes me want to go for a drive (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Thanks Jon, and Russ.
Really appreciate all the support and help from everyone, makes a trip like this less stressful, knowing there are people along the way willing to help...this site rocks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Got all checked in, went and took the grandsons out to dinner. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif)

At the La Quinta

Attached Image
Tomorrow to the park to practice for little league, then a double feature iron man/superman.

Grandsons in front of my daughter in laws house
Attached Image

Attached Image

Lunch at the 66 Diner

Attached Image

Be here till Sunday, then off to Texas.
Might meet up with some Dallas members on the way through if I have time...for sure if I break down. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) who said that.

One more (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) then bed.

Jeff
+Quote Post
JStroud
post Sep 1 2013, 09:05 PM
Post #28

Visit in Albuquerque went well, stayed too long though...started raining a little.
Cars packed and I'm off to Atlanta Texas now, 13+hrs (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
Should make it there by 10am. Cars running perfect, still haven't taken the time to figure out the dash lights....just carry a small flashlight.

Back on the road, going thru Dallas...more rain

Attached Image

Almost to Atlanta Texas

Attached Image
Jeff
+Quote Post
Madswede
post Sep 2 2013, 11:34 AM
Post #29

Flat Out Driver

QUOTE(jsconst @ Aug 30 2013, 09:49 PM) *

Well made it to Albuquerque, car was really cutting out climbing the hills.
Got here called Jon (madswede), he gave me the name of the shop here in town.
Talked to Russ at PMCI, really nice guy, seemed real knowledgable.

Well turn out they were loading his 914 race car and heading out of town so he couldn't look at the car, but he was nice enough to spend some time on the phone with me asking about the symptoms, then said....pay attention this might help some of you out....smack the MPS with the end of a screw driver while the car is running. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

Says he sees it a lot with the altitude here if the MPS gets stuck it can't adjust to the elevation change.... Started my car smacked it twice..on the second smack the cars idle drastically changed, for the better...so I smacked it a couple more times for good measure (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) car is running perfect again (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Makes me want to go for a drive (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Thanks Jon, and Russ.

You're welcome! Glad I could help at least by making the appropriate connection for ya. Russ is a good guy, he's quite busy with racing as a priority (ye gods we should all be so lucky!), so sometimes his shop can be hard to get into. I'm glad he helped ya over the phone. I'll file that (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) fix under my list of things that can/have been fixed as such (actually only one really comes to mind, and that's a low-P fuel pump). Something about the altitude, for sure, but I also think the ubiquitous dust has a thing or two to do with it. Germany has some places where the altitude makes for rare air, but out here it's like that everywhere. Plus, there's the dust, as I said. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

By the way, here's Russ's "Pink Pig" 914 race car. 3.6 with I dunno which 901 transmission he's on in this one. I think he finally went for a 915 WEVO conversion.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
JStroud
post Sep 2 2013, 03:19 PM
Post #30

Made it to Atlanta Texas around 11:30am central time, LOTS of rain on the way, my extreme summer tires didn't handle it to well when the heavy stuff would come...45 mph to keep on the road...quite the lightning show too.

Car ran great, at least with the rain I didn't have to worry about vapor lock. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Shower, quick tour of the new ranch, some lunch.....now (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yellowsleep[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yellowsleep[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yellowsleep[1].gif)

At daughters new ranch
Attached Image

The back pasture
Attached Image

Back pasture, Thru the trees on the right is a stocked pond, on the left a deer hunting area with feeders and blinds.
Attached Image

Shop/barn looking from the back pasture
Attached Image

Started the foundation forms and plumbing for the new house
Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Daughters horse training setup
Attached Image

Her wild Mustang she's training for a show in Dallas next week, and her barn
Attached Image

Attached Image

The Shop

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Car in the shop, its smaller than his 4 wheeler (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Attached Image

Son in laws business

Attached Image

For all your plumbing needs

Attached Image

Youngest grandaughter, oldest was away visiting

Attached Image

Went on a boat ride to dinner....I could almost hear the banjo music (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image

The family!

Attached Image
Jeff
+Quote Post
davesprinkle
post Sep 2 2013, 10:08 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 2,943
Region Association: None

Regarding your dash lights...

The dash light fuse is shared with the license plate bulbs. If you accidentally swap the power and ground leads on the license plate bulbs, you'll blow the fuse and this will take our your instrument lights.
+Quote Post
JStroud
post Sep 2 2013, 10:48 PM
Post #32

QUOTE(davesprinkle @ Sep 2 2013, 08:08 PM) *

Regarding your dash lights...

The dash light fuse is shared with the license plate bulbs. If you accidentally swap the power and ground leads on the license plate bulbs, you'll blow the fuse and this will take our your instrument lights.

Thanks, but the fuses are good, had a problem with the center console gauges before I left, ground came loose, fixed that the day before I left, didn't notice the lights didn't work till I went to use them, probably related to the ground wire issue, just haven't taken the time to take it apart to check it out.

Might pull it in my son in laws shop tomorrow and check it out.
Been using a GPS iPhone app for my speedometer, since mine is off by about 10mph, and it has a light, so haven't really needed them anyway.

Jeff
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Sep 2 2013, 10:56 PM
Post #33

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

QUOTE(jsconst @ Sep 2 2013, 09:48 PM) *
but the fuses are good

Even if they are good, turn them with your fingers while they are in the sockets. Sometimes that's all they need.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
JStroud
post Sep 5 2013, 12:17 PM
Post #34

Left Atlanta Texas last night around 9:30, drove all night and made it back to Albuquerque this morning. Man that's a long drive. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
Attached Image

Back at La Quinta
Attached Image
Have time for a nap (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yellowsleep[1].gif) then off to take the grandsons to dinner.

Made it in time for little league practice

Attached Image

Looks like I'll need to wash the car in the morning before I head out for Durango.
The drive to Texas and back trashed it, but it ran great all the way there and back. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Put the car in the shop yesterday, it finally cooled down, had to glue my rear view mirror back on, guess it couldn't handle the heat. Then I finally started tracing wires for the dash lights, found one wire pulled out of it connector, and the connector that plugs into the fuse panel was hanging loose. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) all fixed now.

Jeff
+Quote Post
JStroud
post Sep 6 2013, 09:24 AM
Post #35

Went and washed the car this morning, looks better.....on the outside.

Went to visit some friends before leaving, their new house

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Packing up then hitting the road for Durango, google says about 4hrs (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
Then it's (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif) party time.

On the road

Attached Image

Attached Image

Jeff
+Quote Post
JStroud
post Sep 7 2013, 12:55 AM
Post #36

Well my 4 hr drive turned into 71/2 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) car kept vapor locking.
Guess the first thing I need to do is relocate the fuel pump.
Missed the BBQ but enjoyed the parking lot festivities....and nothing that happened was my idea. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
Great group of people......glad I finally made it.

At RRC, the hotel

Attached Image

Attached Image

Packing to leave

Attached Image

Jeff
+Quote Post
McMark
post Sep 7 2013, 01:42 PM
Post #37

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

Rig something up to scoop air from under the car and blow it over the fuel pump. Tin foil?
+Quote Post
Madswede
post Sep 7 2013, 02:16 PM
Post #38

Flat Out Driver

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) with Mark. The thing about the high desert isn't so much about the temperature (it gets hotter elsewhere, or at least as high temp-wise) as it is a problem of reduced heat removal with the lower density air we have round here. Low density, low mass of air, which means reduced heat removal. So logically air flow needs to be increased. Lower air density, and thus ambient pressure, could affect or exacerbate vapor lock too. Probably need a "high altitude air flow increase" kit put together or at least a thread of advice for RRC and Rt66 events!
+Quote Post
Kirmizi
post Sep 7 2013, 02:32 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 5,568

Out of curiosity, have you tried swapping out the fuel pump relay after the car dies?
I seem to also remember someone (DD perhaps) carrying a bottle of water to pour over the fuel pump to cool it off.
+Quote Post
Madswede
post Sep 7 2013, 03:16 PM
Post #40

Flat Out Driver

Before the conversion, I hit mine with a hammer. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) Only went through two of 'em too.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 01:28 PM