Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Engine will not stay running, Heater control kills engine
martman
post Dec 12 2004, 11:12 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,290

I was out and about and it was getting a little chilly so I pulled on the little red handle to warm things up a bit. I wanted a little more heat so I puulled a little more and the car died as I was driving on the freeway I put the control on off and the car started to run. I'm thinking OK what's up with that?

Got home in the driveway pulled the handle again and it killed the engine. Now I cannot get it started.

any idea's???? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dmenche914
post Dec 12 2004, 12:23 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 366

If the engine dies only whent he heater is in the full on position, then it is likely an electrical problem. When the heater lever is in the full on position, a ground contact is made at the lever. This is the wire that supplies ground to the relay for the engine mounted electric heater fan(s).
I'd guess there is something funky with the heater fans, that might be causing a voltage drop in the ignition, or fuel pump cutout via the relay panel.

To confirm, see if you got a good 12 volts at the coil with ignition on, see if voltage varies when heater lever is moved on and off the full on position.

See if anything was changed over the years (early verses later engines had a different wire harness with regards to the heater fans, so a prior engine swap might mean your wiring for this circuit is different than what the manual suggests it should be)

Also could be the fuel pump, is it running even if car won't start,? if not, check the relay panel in engine bay behind drivers position for issues. The heater fan, fuel pump relays all reside here.

Keep us posted
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Dec 12 2004, 12:34 PM
Post #3

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

yep (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 02:46 PM