Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Trick 914 Restoration, Any cars / stories out there???
EdwardBlume
post Dec 12 2004, 09:11 PM
Post #1

914 Wizard

Group: Members
Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

I started on my 914 today and I'm looking for ideas on trick 914 restorations. I'm looking for details mainly underbody, interior, powdercoating parts, wheel restoration, etc.

Any good sites, methodical manical cars? Ideas?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Dec 12 2004, 09:15 PM
Post #2

914 Wizard

My car is a stock '74 914 2.0 Olympic Blue with black bumpers, foglights, center console, 2.0 fuchs, and vinyl sail panel.

Pict:

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Hi_Fi_Guy
post Dec 12 2004, 09:34 PM
Post #3

Tuetonic terror

Member No.: 1,019

I just finished a three and a half year restoration/modification of my 914. Feel free to PM with any specific questions.

My best advice is to have a clear vision of what you want for your car and stick to it. Decide how far you want to take the car based on your wants and needs.

The two items I dislike about my 914, no A/C & no F.I., are things I let people talk me out of mostly due to cost. The A/C will end up costing more to re-install now than if I had it done as I went along. The F.I. is still up in the air, if Jake can offer the Kit Carlson system cheaper than the high-end aftermarket systems it will be worth the wait. Still, if I had it to do over I would have insisted on making the car EXACTLY the way I wanted it up front.

- Do Pay for quality & integrity.
- Do NOT allow any shop to start work on any facet of your car without an agreed to estimate on paper.
- Do not feel pressure to get things done too quickly. It is good to have a deadline but I found that the decisions on vendors, parts, shops, I made based on, "can I get this done ASAP" were usually the items I was least happy with. The really good shops, engine builders, etc. will usually have a waiting list. If in doubt get referals.

Make a budget, double it, rinse, & repeat.
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Dec 12 2004, 10:24 PM
Post #4

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

I admire you for keeping this car Rob and know it has special sentimental value to you. With grad school and all, do you have any time frame for completing it? Do you envision it as a full out strip and restore, or is it a drive and restore-as-you-go type project?

I think it will hold greater meaning to you if you keep it as it is and don't modify it. Restore it sure, but don't change anything...no 'upgrades', no mods, no tricks'. If it becomes something different, it won't be the same...

If you are really, really lucky, maybe your daughter may be able to enjoy it later in life...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
skline
post Dec 12 2004, 10:29 PM
Post #5

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

Going for that Dave Darling look? Did you repo his car from him? It looks like his. Good luck with it.
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Dec 12 2004, 11:29 PM
Post #6

914 Wizard

Going for that Dave Darling look? Did you repo his car from him? It looks like his. Good luck with it

Sorry. DD copied me. Its been in my family since 1976.

With grad school and all, do you have any time frame for completing it? Do you envision it as a full out strip and restore, or is it a drive and restore-as-you-go type project?

Its my only P-car outlet so I'm going to take full advantage of it. I figure 2-5 hours a week tops. Hi_Fi_Guy's advice on having a clear vision of what I want is what I'm looking to perfect upfront here.

Here's how I see it right now: stock chassis- fully cleaned and painted - most likely undercoating NOT reapplied - will need a rotisserie; powdercoated black parts - glossy; Fuchs - refinished similar to stock (Bowlsby's come to mind), SR 165's, interior is a big ?? but the 8 track tape player may go (or stay if I can't find an original AM/FM). As I mentioned, I'm looking for some nice tricks to enhance the car but keep it looking really good - ie nicer leather, carpet, chrome fog grills. I also want to talk to folks who have restored a car where every nut, bolt, trim, and gasket were right and perfect.

This car does mean a lot to me as its my tribute to my Dad and is the vehicle of the happiest days of my childhood.

Thats about it.
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Dec 12 2004, 11:32 PM
Post #7

914 Wizard

Oh, the engine / tranny has 89k orginal miles. I thought about rebuilding it, but after driving it today, it has lots of power and runs nicely as a FI 2.0. should. While its out I'll take the time to powdercoat the trim, clean, polish and restore the best I can, and yes the soundproofing will stay.
+Quote Post
Series9
post Dec 12 2004, 11:58 PM
Post #8

Lesbians taste like chicken.

Member No.: 2,602
Region Association: South East States

I've built mine from the last bolt. I'd be happy to answer questions.

Make a plan, set your standards and stick to your vision.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Series9
post Dec 12 2004, 11:59 PM
Post #9

Lesbians taste like chicken.

Member No.: 2,602
Region Association: South East States

Powder coated suspension in gloss black:

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Dec 13 2004, 01:47 AM
Post #10

914 Wizard

Wow... the powder coated stuff looks good. What other types of things gets coated?
+Quote Post
McMark
post Dec 13 2004, 01:48 AM
Post #11

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

I happen to know someone who has a stock radio that they'd probably sell.

If you're not going to re-apply the undercoating (don't), here's something to think about. You're going to have bright blue body color staring out from behind the wheels. It's sort of unnerving for me. I plan on doing something on my "dream" car to differentiate the wheel wells from the body. I've thought about just doing a darker shade of paint on the underside and wheel wells, or maybe paint the underside flat black.

What's the budget as well. That always affects where the dream can go.
+Quote Post
aircooledboy
post Dec 13 2004, 11:39 AM
Post #12

Sweet Pea's 1st ride in daddy's "vroom -vroom"

Member No.: 1,629
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Rob Ways @ Dec 12 2004, 11:29 PM)
This car does mean a lot to me as its my tribute to my Dad and is the vehicle of the happiest days of my childhood.

That Rocks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

I can't imagine a better reason to do what you are planning to do. I have my own little private bone yard, and if I can help with some parts here and there to help you stay on budget, say the word. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Dec 13 2004, 03:02 PM
Post #13

914 Wizard

Budget? - No thanks! It will cost what it costs. How much for the radio? With a different color for the wheel wells, I'd be intrigued to see what looks good, but with Olympic Blue there might not be many options. Stock color without the road tar would be OK with me.

Thanks for the parts offer Aircooledboy! I know I'm going to need stuff as I go, but for the most part, its all there.

I figure all I need are ideas, motivation, time, money and this site.
+Quote Post
qa1142
post Dec 13 2004, 04:51 PM
Post #14

Whiplash

Member No.: 2,140

Nice car, looks like mine!

just slam the suspension and you won's see the blue in wheel well!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 01:28 PM