Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Buying a 914 on eBay, Are there deals to be had?
zonedoubt
post May 23 2003, 10:40 AM
Post #1

Canadian Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 696
Region Association: Canada

Has anyone actually bought a 914 off of eBay for a decent price?

I looked at this car in person before it was listed on eVilbay:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...3&category=2030

The guy was asking $3100 (Canadian). It didn't run (likely bad fuel injection problems), there were rust holes in all the usual places, and many other problems.

It just sold for $4700 (Canadian), probably to somebody who didn't get a chance to look at the car.

Is it even worth shopping cars on eBay?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post May 23 2003, 10:42 AM
Post #2

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

i would alwyas have tio look at the car before i would buty it! otherwise it is like buying blind! the Evil part of ebay is the didhonesty of some of the sellers.....ne pic or no pic and being sold a completely different item then the one on ebay!
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post May 23 2003, 10:51 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(acox914 @ May 23 2003, 08:42 AM)
i would alwyas have tio look at the car before i would buty it! otherwise it is like buying blind! the Evil part of ebay is the didhonesty of some of the sellers.....ne pic or no pic and being sold a completely different item then the one on ebay!

Yeah it's hit-or-miss. I know there are definitely some respectable folks who sell there, but there is also a lot of crap. I looked for several months for my car, and almost bid on a couple of e-bay mobiles. Seems like every time I asked for some close up pics of the rust they stopped responding. I thought it was odd that I rarely knew the seller, even though I was on like 4 or 5 914 bbs's every night looking for a car.

Are you looking to buy a car? What are you looking for? I would prefer to buy one from someone here, or from a respected source. There are plenty of guys on this BB who buy and sell 914s who could find you a good one.

Good Luck!

Chris H.
+Quote Post
zonedoubt
post May 23 2003, 11:01 AM
Post #4

Canadian Member

Yeah, I'm interested in buying a 914. I've been lurking this board and the others for some time now.

There aren't a ton of 914's for sale in the Vancouver area, or in Canada in general. I prefer to buy something local or at least not too far of a drive (Washington, Oregon). The car doesn't have to be perfect, I expect to spend time & money to tune it up, etc. But I don't want one with structural rust.

And I agree with you, Chris, that it would be great to find someone from one of the 914 boards who's selling their car at a fair price. It shows that they're somewhat knowledgeable about teeners.
+Quote Post
Dave Cawdrey
post May 23 2003, 11:37 AM
Post #5

Dumbo going poop, Daddy :)

Member No.: 182

I bought mine off eBay for $1300. Went to look at it prior to bidding. Not running, but did start up w/ starting fluid. No structural rust. Towed it less than 2 miles to my buddy's house. Lucky, huh? Fuel pump, tune up, and new brakes. Drove her home...

Best money I ever spent. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Qarl
post May 23 2003, 11:42 AM
Post #6

Shriveled member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 271
Region Association: None

I've discovered one really nice thing nice about the 914 community... there is usally someone here willing to check out cars for you if it's within a decent driving distance.

I bought my current project car sight unseen out in Phoenix Arizona. Saw the car in the AutoTrader. Gerard Rodriguez checked it out for me and gave me the thumbs up. I had it shipped.

If there's a car and you're interested, post a message here and someone can check it out.

Here's my car...

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
tod914
post May 23 2003, 12:02 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 170

I found mine on ebay. Had it checked out by a guy in local PCA out there had a PPI done. Contacted the seller and bought it. Had the car shipped, and got a non-transferable dealer title the next day. Took an attorney and close to 4 months be4 I finally got a proper title. Car looks very nice but wasnt what it was represented to be. Best advice I can offer, make sure the owner faxes you a copy of the title, and have some1 who knows 914s inside and out inspect it before making any kind of commitment.
Murphys Law definetly kicked in on mine (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

1/2 the 914s out there are grousely misrepresented.

Good Luck (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
tracks914
post May 23 2003, 12:05 PM
Post #8

Canadian Member

Member No.: 153

Like the trunk rack...is it a Porsche product or aftermarket? How much was it?
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post May 23 2003, 12:07 PM
Post #9

Ski Bum

Member No.: 128

I sold a boat on evelbay and the guy who bought it got a screaming deal!!

But, I am one to the honest ones.

Jeff
+Quote Post
GWN7
post May 23 2003, 12:22 PM
Post #10

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

Deals on Ebay? Not anymore, I got the last one. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

There are four type of cars on Ebay and you can tell them usually by the ads.
.....The perfect car- Ad has lots of clear, close-up pictures. Lots of info about the car and a phone number to contact the seller.
.....The not so good car- Ad has the minimun amount of pictures. Little info. Seller might respond to your emails.
....The Sawsall/Rip off- Ad has pictures that are blurry and taken at a distance. No mention of rust in the usuall locations. Ad info reads "fun summer car, drive with the top off (should read "if your allowed to sit in the car while being towed") Little if any info on the car or misleeding info. Seller never resopnds or only to say "Nice car bid high"
.....The Deal -If the ad starts with "my wife wants rid of my project" You have probably found a winner (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Usually a one picture ad, basic info seller responds to your questions in a day or two.

Check the Vancouver "Buy & Sell" there is or was at least a couple cars listed in it every time I looked at it

Or there are a few guys just South of you that could find you a not bad car.
+Quote Post
zonedoubt
post May 23 2003, 12:32 PM
Post #11

Canadian Member

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm pretty sure I'd want to see a car myself before buying it. But the PPI advice of a savvy 914Clubber might be just as good.

I actually found the aforementioned 914 in the Vancouver Buy&Sell. There does seem to be at least one in there every week, but it's either a severely rusted "parts car" or a super-modified high-priced "deal".

The search continues! I hope to soon be an owner so I can get more involved on this board.
+Quote Post
Curvie Roadlover
post May 23 2003, 01:21 PM
Post #12

Two trunks are better than one!

Member No.: 42

I bought my car from 3000 miles away, sight unseen except for some grainy photos, but it got high marks from "Good Gracious Ass Bodacious" and Dave Darling. It was an excellent deal. But there was another car I was interested in at the time, in Seattle, that seemed really nice in the pics. I had a friend of a friend look at it for me and he gave it 2 thumbs down. I was worried that he might have wanted it for himself, then I found out he already had a mint 914/6 and a Boxter so I assumed he was already "Porsched out".
If you're buying a 914 I think the most important rule (and I've said this many times) get the nicest one you can that is as close to perfect as you can afford, because it's far far cheaper to get a nice one than it is to get a cheap one and fix it up.
Good luck
+Quote Post
JRust
post May 23 2003, 01:22 PM
Post #13

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I'll be putting my 73' 2.0 up for sale soon! Feel free to give me a call about it 971-388-4674 & I'm just down by Salem. I figured to go on ebay to sell also. I am always looking at the 914's on ebay for sale. It is pretty tough to buy a car sight unseen. I have done it a few times & have been lucky. I definately second everyones sentiments on having someone on the BBS go check it out for you. I went down to check on a 914 for a guy in Mississippi last year. It was only 20 minutes away from me & I love to check out 914's as do most of us. So it was a pleaure to go check out this 72' 914 for the guy. After checking out this rust free automobile I promptly told Bill DO NOT BUY! It seems there are alot of 914 owners out there who have never seen rust before! So I never believe those rust free adds unless someone has checked it out! Aparently as long as the rust is covered it is rust free! Good luck & check out the classifieds here oon this BBS. Most of the people that list here are responsible members & will be truthful. Also there is a pretty good possibility someone here has allready seen it. Good luck on your search!-Jamie
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post May 23 2003, 01:23 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Don't know what your price range is, but how about this one? Rust free from CA.... I also like the brown one in the classifieds. Needs a front valance but otherwise seems to be in good shape.

White 74
+Quote Post
tod914
post May 23 2003, 01:46 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 170

Brown car seems like a good deal - I like the color too. I assume its resprayed being there is no pillar vinal. Interior looks very nice. Be curious how solid of a car it is i.e. rust issues.
+Quote Post
Ferg
post May 23 2003, 02:03 PM
Post #16

914 Guru

Member No.: 116

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I've bought both my teener's sight unseen, first car a red 2.0 74 was an ebay car, I feel the key is asking all the right questions, and getting a feeling for the seller over the phone!!! If he is annoyed cause you asked him to check behind the rockers run away, this is no the type of person you want to be buying sight unseen from! My current car was not an ebay car but I had Sammy go check out and at least 10 lengthy phone conversations with the seller, Thanks to sammy and my questions it was a no suprize car either when I picked it up, and is actually much turned out to be nicer than I thought, now that I have had time to go throught it. head to toe. Ferg.
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post May 23 2003, 02:58 PM
Post #17

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

I want to respond to this thread (badly) but I have to bite my tongue.

B
+Quote Post
Gint
post May 23 2003, 03:18 PM
Post #18

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Come on BRAD! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon13.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon13.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon13.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon13.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon13.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon13.gif)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post May 23 2003, 03:19 PM
Post #19

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

My 914 was an eBay deal, luckly for the PO before me
(Jon), he was able to check it out first.

eBay is no different than any other medium for advertising, just cause a 914 is listed in Panorama or Excellence does not make it a better car or deal.

As with ANY purchase "buyer beware"

I don't think there is anything wrong with buying or selling cars on eBay, but you have to use common sense and know when a deal is not a good one and ask plenty of questions.
+Quote Post
VegasRacer
post May 23 2003, 03:36 PM
Post #20

ELVIRA

Member No.: 481

QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ May 23 2003, 12:58 PM)
I want to respond to this thread (badly) but I have to bite my tongue.

B

I am also in the market for a streetable 914.
I'm getting that itch again. One race car is not enough.
I plan to use every resource available (including eBay)
to find the best deal on the right car.
I would be very grateful for any advice from your expertise Brad.
Please.

I might as well as everybody else now too.
Ya got a nice one for sale?
2 liter. Original FI, un-molested, "rust free".
Target price is $5K.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:54 PM