Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> It's time to replace my daily driver, Advice wanted on what to buy
post Dec 15 2004, 03:36 PM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 988

If you need something with 4 doors but want some fun, and space in the back,

-go to a saab dealer, find the nice'st 02 93 they have and walk away with a fully warrantied near luxury hatch for 14-18k

-Full leather

-On-star

-trip computer, heated seats, s-roof, 205 hp, etc....

-near 30mpg

-and its a hatch with tons of room with the seats down...

-great value, and they are practically giving them away...and with interest rates so low, you can get a used car loan in the 4% range if your credit is decent...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mack914
post Dec 15 2004, 07:30 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 2,306

I have a 1988 BMW M5, a classic and it flies. It's for sale.
+Quote Post
VegasRacer
post Dec 17 2004, 05:06 AM
Post #43

ELVIRA

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 481
Region Association: None

I headed out today with an open mind and a list of over 20 models I wanted to check out. I returned home with a much more manigable list of top contenders. I learned I am truely a sports car kind of guy. I now know without a doubt that I don't like 4 door cars.

I thought the Infinity G35 was going to be among my top choices. I quickly knew it was not the one for me.

Some of the other rejects are:
VW - GTI & R32 - The R32 is a very nice car. Both seem like to much sauerkraut (German Rice) for my taste.
Suburu WRX - another great car (if that's what you want). One of my friends who is an excellent auto-crosser traded in his BMW M3 last year for a WRX and loves it.
Mini Cooper and some of the other high revving 4 cylinders are fun cars but not what I am looking for in a daily driver.
Pontiac GTO was nothing special. Just a big motor. I would much rather have an Impala SS.
Chrysler Crossfire - I was impressed a few months ago when I saw one do very well at an auto-cross. As a potential buyer - no thanks. It also had a $2K 'market value' add above MSRP.
BMW - The M3 is to expensive. The other 3 series cars are 4 door. The Z4 is not all that. I have some seat time as a drivers ed instructor in a Z3 and was disappointed.
Mercedes C class - not enough of a good thing.
Boxster - maybe if I didn't already have a nice 914-6.
Acura was not on my original list. They don't have any models that fit my guidelines, but I was very impressed by the quality.
Audi TT & A4 - see above comments. 4 cyl / 4 door. Nice cars.

The three I am now considering:
Honda S2000 - another car I have piloted at a Track Quest DE event. On a road course it was surprisingly similar to my 914 race car. Yes I know it is a 4 cyl. V-tech but it is a very pleasing car to drive.
Mazda RX8 - when they came out I did not like the looks. Maybe I am prejudice since my 1st race car was a RX7. I do like that it has some sort of a back seat.
Nissan 350Z - lots of HP and torque. It does feel a bit heavy compared to the other two.

I did stumble on one other option. It is a little beyond my planned budget, but way more car than I thought I could get. Why is the current price of a low mileage 2001 Mercedes SL500 less than half of what it sold for new? It is a beautiful machine. Are they unreliable? Would it make a good daily driver counterpart to my /6? The other 3 choices are the best options out there. Any of them would be good choice. The SL500 was the only one that made my heart flutter. Somebody talk me out of it. Please.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
SpecialK
post Dec 17 2004, 05:21 AM
Post #44

aircraft surgeon

Member No.: 1,797

Then I say go with the with the SL500 (wood-invoker)! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)

Plus you won't have that language barrier in the garage between the cars!
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Dec 17 2004, 05:24 AM
Post #45

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

There only payments.....if it fits the budget. go for it.

Wholesale: $34,753
Retail: $46,856

The Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Roadster arrives this new model year with detail refinements and an upgraded exterior appearance. Formerly part of an option package, the AMG-designed sculpted lower bodywork and 18-inch alloy wheels are now standard. Standard features include a Bose Acoustimass stereo system, the Brake Assist system, and both hard and soft tops. A Panorama Roof is optional that consists of a hard top with a complete glass panel top. Two designo editions are available, the Slate Blue Edition and the Black Diamond Edition. Both include unique two-tone Nappa leather seating and either carbon-fiber or maple wood trim. The SL 600 continues with its signature V12 engine, which produces 389-hp and 420 lb-ft of torque.

All I could find worthwhile to read about it...
+Quote Post
SpecialK
post Dec 17 2004, 05:29 AM
Post #46

aircraft surgeon

QUOTE(GWN7 @ Dec 17 2004, 03:24 AM)
There only payments.....if it fits the budget. go for it.

Wholesale: $34,753
Retail: $46,856

Is that Canadian? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
VegasRacer
post Dec 17 2004, 05:55 AM
Post #47

ELVIRA

QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Dec 17 2004, 03:06 AM)
Somebody talk me out of it. Please.

I should have know better than to come here looking for the voice of reason.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
VegasRacer
post Dec 17 2004, 05:57 AM
Post #48

ELVIRA

This blue car pulled up when I was at one of the dealers.
I wonder if he is trading it in? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
SpecialK
post Dec 17 2004, 06:05 AM
Post #49

aircraft surgeon

I'd still get the Merc........ an a bottle of sunsceen!

I'm no "mustang" expert, but there's something about the front of that car that doesn't look quite kosher (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post Dec 17 2004, 06:19 AM
Post #50

Member No.: 194
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Dec 17 2004, 03:06 AM)

Chrysler Crossfire - I was impressed a few months ago when I saw one do very well at an auto-cross. As a potential buyer - no thanks. It also had a $2K 'market value' add above MSRP.

A month ago these with 6speeds were selling for $25.300 in Atlanta. I think the MSRP was $33k thats a discount of $8k. Seemed like alot of car for the money.

Bob
+Quote Post
machina
post Dec 17 2004, 06:44 AM
Post #51

Advanced Member

Member No.: 848

Hey John,

Clean your lens, looks like vaseline on the glass.
+Quote Post
Qarl
post Dec 17 2004, 07:55 AM
Post #52

Shriveled member

Member No.: 271

He's got a big fingerprint on his camera lens. I saw it personally.

John, clean the greasy finger print from your lens.

Qar;
+Quote Post
VegasRacer
post Jan 3 2005, 02:30 PM
Post #53

ELVIRA

QUOTE (watsonrx13 @ Dec 14 2004, 03:46 AM)
Good luck with the search and let us know what you finally decide.... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/aktion035.gif)

The search is over. It took me another week or so to eventually decide on a 350Z. I revisited all 4 Nissan dealers in Vegas to check their stock and weigh my choices. I made a list of the options I wanted, those I didn't and what was negotiable. I couldn't find the right car in an acceptable color. I even had my friend at the VW / Audi dealership tell his buyer to check all the auctions for me. No luck. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sad.gif)

I finally said "Let's do it"! I asked my sales manager friend to hook me up with his counterpart at their Nissan store. I walked in with my list and said "This is what I want. Order me a car!" Nissan was having a year end sale with 2% financing on 2004 models. They found me the exact car I wanted in Wyoming and sold it to me for $500 over invoice plus $425 for shipping. It will be here on Friday. Color is LeMans Sunset. 287 HP. 274 lb/ft torque. 235/50/17's on 8 inch wheels. 0 - 60 in 5.5 seconds. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/boldblue.gif)

Some people might say that having 2 two seat roadsters is not practical. If you consider how long it has been since I have had a date, I think I have one to many seats in each car. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/assimilate.gif)

I can't wait to get the car on the track to see what it can do. It is going to have to wait its turn. Elvira has not yet had the chance to go out and play. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/driving.gif) Life is good. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/mueba.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
post Jan 3 2005, 02:40 PM
Post #54

Member No.: 988

Great choice,

I had a 90 300z TT which was sweet. What options did you get? track/touring model? 6 speed I assume?
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jan 3 2005, 02:45 PM
Post #55

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

when nissan first rolled these out there was one on display at a local mall. touring/sport edition. it had a navigation system that was about $3k for that item alone and you could not buy that specific version without one. plus a $6000 amv(adjusted market value, because of the high market demand (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif) ). out the door it was over $38k plus 8.86% sales tax. hard to believe they sold ANY in washington with those terms. that is a great color on the new 350z.

kevin
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Jan 3 2005, 03:14 PM
Post #56

914 Guru

Member No.: 116

It was in Wyoming? Heck I would drove it to you for a return plane ticket (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/driving.gif)
plus it would have arrived properly broken in (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/happy11.gif)
Ferg
+Quote Post
VegasRacer
post Jan 3 2005, 03:29 PM
Post #57

ELVIRA

The 6 speed was a must. The Triptonic seemed to work well, but it is just wrong in a sports car. No Navigation $ystem. The entire line has the same 3.5 liter engine and multi-link suspension. I went with the Enthusiast model. That means I get a limited slip, traction control, xenon headlights and a 160 watt stereo with 6 speakers. The only way to get leather seats was in the Touring model. It also means you pay for the VDC (Vehicle Dynamic Control) system which I did not want. I don't want some computer reducing power to one wheel to bring it back in line when I am trying to hang out the rear end going around a corner. I also did not want to pay for the power heated seats in the touring package.

The only difference between mine and the full Track model is that I don't have 18" wheels, Brembo brakes or a tiny spoiler - for 5 grand less.
+Quote Post
cha914
post Jan 5 2005, 04:39 PM
Post #58

MUSR 8 - 5lug conversion done wed - drive 500miles thrus

Member No.: 63

Vegas,

Congrats on the car, just one quick question...you said you drove the Infinity G35 and quickly knew it wasn't the car for you...arn't the 350z and the G35 the same car with just some cosmetic differences?

Personally I like the looks of the G35 better, the 350z is nice, but there are some minor details I don't like...anyway, just curious more than anything...I am sure you will have alot of fun with that car...

I did go on tour in the 914 where I was trying to keep up with a supercharged G35...man that thing was scary fast...

Yours,

Tony (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
VegasRacer
post Jan 6 2005, 01:17 AM
Post #59

ELVIRA

QUOTE (cha914 @ Jan 5 2005, 02:39 PM)
Congrats on the car, just one quick question...you said you drove the Infinity G35 and quickly knew it wasn't the car for you...arn't the 350z and the G35 the same car with just some cosmetic differences?

Don't get me wrong, the G35 is a very nice car. It has won a lot of awards for good reason. It is just not what I was looking for.

#1 - I hate 4 door cars. The only way you would see me driving one is if I won a mega lottery jackpot and then it would be some ultra luxury exotic (after I bought my 3rd house). Yes, the G35 is available as a coupe, but it still felt like a sedan to me. As far as I'm concerned, a back seat is a total waste of space. I would only use it as a place to throw empty beer cars my jacket or a bag of groceries. I already have a nice full size conversion van with big comfy captains chairs if I need to haul more than 2 people.

The G35 and 350Z are built on the same platform and use the same motor. The Infinity has a much softer suspension. As it is, the 350Z is a heavy car, expecially when you compare it to the light and nimble Mazda RX8. The G35 is a lot more of a luxury car than the 350Z. The Nissan is rather raw in comparison. The G35 hit me as more of a sporty coupe/sedan. The 350Z seemed like a real sports car.

I agree that some of the cosmetic details should have received better treatment in the 350Z. I wish they would have spent another $1000 on interior materials.

Update on my LeMans Sunset 350Z - I got a good news / bad news phone call today. The car was due to arrive on Friday. The dealer called to say it came in today. They said to give them a few hours to detail it. An hour later they called back. The car that came in is the wrong one. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/mad.gif) The one they got is an automatic. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/flipa.gif) I'll be down there bright and early tomorrow morning to figure out what we are going to do. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
DuckRyder
post Jan 6 2005, 10:46 PM
Post #60

Avatars Mode: OFF because of the recalcitrant few.

Member No.: 110

QUOTE (VegasRacer @ Dec 17 2004, 07:57 AM)
This blue car pulled up when I was at one of the dealers.
I wonder if he is trading it in? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif)

That would be out of your price range by a rather significant margin. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/huh.gif)
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 02:20 PM