Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Attack of the L-Jet Woes, :'(
Brando
post Dec 17 2004, 10:46 AM
Post #1

BUY MY SPARE KIDNEY!!!

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,648
Region Association: Southern California

Okey. Car's out of comission for the second time in 48 hours. Wednesday morning my car backfired through the intake and mangled my AFM. Had to get a replacement and was able to drive it around all day yesterday without problems.

Now, the car occasionally starts and has fuel starvation issues. I checked my individual wires to the injectors and they're good and connected. Fuel pump relay works, the potentiometer/wiper on the AFM is working and triggering the fuel pump properly. I'm confuzzled and don't know where to go next. Any advice i'll take. I had to leave the thing at my girlfriend's apartment and take the bus home :\

Oh, and I love this part of the Hayne's manual:
" At the time of compiling this Manual, no information was available regarding symptoms and remedies.  In the event of fuel system faults which cannot be rectified by tightening or renewing hoses, or by carrying out the checks given in this chapter, the advice of a Porsche dealer should be sought. "
<_<

TIA
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Dec 17 2004, 10:53 AM
Post #2

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

possible ideas...

pump going out or bad connections at the dual-relay (mine would cut off over bumps and some corners until I cleaned all the terminals and bought a new relay), fuel filter clogged

do you have a fuel pressure gauge, I'm guessing not, you can get one that will "T" in to the lines in the engine compartment, about $30 or so from the auto-parts store
+Quote Post
scotty914
post Dec 17 2004, 11:06 AM
Post #3

suby torque rules

Member No.: 924

start of with the stupid things, fuel filter, pick up in tank clogged, pull the fuel line in the engine bay, stick in to mayo jar and run fuel pump to see if you have flow, also while there pull it on the return side to make sure you are getting fuel through the rails and pressure reg. while you have the return off blow through it till you hear gurgaling in the tank, mine was clogged and it seemed like it would run out of gas because it would get real rich from too much fuel pressure and stumble till died. check the cht, once its running and warm you can ground the wire to it , it just runs real lean but at least you can make sure that part is not the problem ( dont do for long ). check ground on engine for injectors. check the resistor pack to see if it is over heating, rare but a loose connection can do it. check to make sure the wire to the coil is a good connection, and while at the coil and dizzy make sure the dizzy is locked down tight. i had a problem i did my self, when trying to figure why my car would die... i was keeping the dizzy loose to check the timing and the points where not getting a good ground. if you have a mighty vac you can get it running and by pulling a vac on the fuel pressure reg, the rpm should change with a fuel pressure change ( on d jet the reg is a set pressure on a ljet it changes with intake vac ) or use a pressure gauge if you have one

you can call me if none of this helps ( i will pm you my number ) but i gave you all of the things i know that can cause ot to run bad but at least its running thats a start
+Quote Post
Brando
post Dec 17 2004, 05:05 PM
Post #4

BUY MY SPARE KIDNEY!!!

Thanks Scott, Mueller... I'll be running down those lists shortly. Now that the car's at the shop I can get it hooked up to all of the testing equipment. Starting with the fuel pump (is it coming on, is it running, is there pressure in the fuel system, is fuel pressure being retained) then working down to the AFM. Since it was the last thing to be replaced, i should check there as well, right?
+Quote Post
Brando
post Dec 18 2004, 01:16 PM
Post #5

BUY MY SPARE KIDNEY!!!

Fix`t! My ECU came unplugged from the battery & tray toppling over (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 02:28 AM