Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pipercross air filters???, Air filter options for /4 w/duals???
Mueller
post Dec 17 2004, 11:59 AM
Post #1

914 Freak!

Group: Members
Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

Pierce Manifolds sells these Pipercross airfilter made in England or some cold, damp place like that (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

What other options do we have for air filters that would be used for dual throttle bodies?

I'm guessing the filters would be approx. the same size as used on a Weber IDF downdraft carb.????
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Dec 17 2004, 12:23 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 3
Region Association: Europe

If you mean these...

(IMG:http://www.piercemanifolds.com/pipercross/trumpetsocks.jpg)

I have a brand new set of 6 laying around
I got them for my /6 but got a set of regular K&N's with rainshields

PM me your address and they're yours...

cheers,

Jeroen
+Quote Post
machina
post Dec 17 2004, 12:52 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 848

I have a set of these socks but I only use them when I have the main filter plate removed so nothing falls in the stack.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Dec 17 2004, 01:10 PM
Post #4

Not another one!

Member No.: 1,743

I have a set of the oval K&Ns that uses the CB Perf linkage plate as the bottom on the car now. I just picked up as part of a package a pair of "square" K&Ns that will just bolt on to the tops of the throttle bodies if you use some other linkage. They're yours if you want them.

There are some oval foam type filters that fit on DCOEs/IDFs from various places. Pipercross, UNIfilter, and no doubt others make them. I believe the bolt pattern is the same for the DCOE v. the IDF, only the IDF will require a hole between the holes for the jets and the float bowl vent.

I really wish someone made a complete airbox like the /6 airbox for dual IDFs or throttle bodies. The ability to use one big filter, the lack of water being sucked in, and the lack of intake noise would all be big plusses to me. I seem to remember Morphin' was working on these.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Dec 17 2004, 01:15 PM
Post #5

914 Freak!

I really wish someone made a complete airbox like the /6 airbox for dual IDFs or throttle bodies. The ability to use one big filter, the lack of water being sucked in, and the lack of intake noise would all be big plusses to me. I seem to remember Morphin' was working on these.

I thought he was just working on rainshields , but I have been wrong before (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

The /6 airbox just uses one large filter?? I've never seen one opened up.

as to those filters you have, I'll gladly take them off your hands....

Jeroen, I'm leaning toward the oval filter that James just mentioned above...thanks for the offer...and no, I have not forgotten about your parts, I'm waiting for the platers to finish them up ......
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Dec 17 2004, 02:09 PM
Post #6

Not another one!

Member No.: 1,743

QUOTE(Mueller @ Dec 17 2004, 11:15 AM)

as to those filters you have, I'll gladly take them off your hands....

Yes, the /6 airbox uses one big cylindrical paper filter, installed near the intake snorkel. Pretty much the same as the MFI airbox, or the one used on OEM carb'd 911s. It's biggest downside is it's pressed steel, and quite a bit heavier than it needs to be.

I had thought Morphin' was making a clone for the /4, using fiberglass. I could be completely wrong on that, though.

On the filters, the easiest way to hook up would probably be for you to drop by my office in Sunnyvale when you get a free hour during the week. PM me with a rough idea of time, and I'll send you my phone number. You always seem to catch me with a dead cell battery. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

If you don't need them anytime soon, we can wait until later. No hurry on my end. They're just going to be sitting on the shelf.
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Dec 17 2004, 08:14 PM
Post #7

914 Guru

Member No.: 3
Region Association: Europe

QUOTE(Mueller @ Dec 17 2004, 09:15 PM)
I thought he was just working on rainshields , but I have been wrong before (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

No, you're right. Just rainshields. Andy got a set of 'em recently IIRC

Here ya go (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
(IMG:http://www.fabspeed.com/73%20911%20airbox%20old%20new.jpg)

Jeroen, I'm leaning toward the oval filter that James just mentioned above...thanks for the offer...and no, I have not forgotten about your parts, I'm waiting for the platers to finish them up ......

Don't sweat it... it's not like I can't drive the car because I don't have the parts (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)
+Quote Post
morph
post Dec 17 2004, 08:37 PM
Post #8

quality parts builder

Member No.: 1,389
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

nope it will out in 05 i am working on a six style filter for the idf, drla, duals, i have a bus style one allready working but having problems making it production friendly.
i really flows good
and stops the loud woot you get out of the carbs.its got a nice sound to it too.but we are going to put out a whole new line of parts in 05.
james
appearance in performance
+Quote Post
agrump
post Jan 10 2005, 03:44 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 3,103

It's 05! Can I get one yet?

What about now? Mayyyyyybe now? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)

Seriously this will be great for us carb guys. I can hardly wait! (Couldn't tell could ya)
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jan 10 2005, 03:48 PM
Post #10

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

You could use a CB performance turbo ducting to run a single filter in the middle of the engine. Just get the 2 metal covers for the tops of the carbs, and the T-pipe for the turbo. Then put an air filter on the open side of the T.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Apr 4 2006, 02:17 PM
Post #11

914 Freak!

this a "bump" for morphenspectra and the air intake plenum for dual /4 carbs or FI (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
fiid
post Apr 4 2006, 02:51 PM
Post #12

Turbo Megasquirted Subaru Member

Member No.: 530
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE (Mueller @ Dec 17 2004, 09:59 AM)
Pierce Manifolds sells these Pipercross airfilter made in England or some cold, damp place like that  :)

You say that like it's any less wet and cold here....

Alright - it is less cold... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Dominic
post Apr 4 2006, 02:59 PM
Post #13

Dominic

Member No.: 149
Region Association: Northern California

Pierce Manifolds sells these Pipercross airfilter made in England or some cold, damp place like that (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)

What other options do we have for air filters that would be used for dual throttle bodies?

I'm guessing the filters would be approx. the same size as used on a Weber IDF downdraft carb.????

Mike,
Check out ITG Filters: http://www.itgairfilters.com/content2.asp?...ection=megaflow

Also made in England

You'll have to fabricate your own base to mount on the TB's, but these are supposed to flow better than others. I bought a set a few years back for my TB's.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Apr 4 2006, 05:24 PM
Post #14

914 Freak!

QUOTE (Dominic @ Apr 4 2006, 01:59 PM)
Pierce Manifolds sells these Pipercross airfilter made in England or some cold, damp place like that  :)

Mike,
Check out ITG Filters: http://www.itgairfilters.com/content2.asp?...ection=megaflow

Also made in England

You'll have to fabricate your own base to mount on the TB's, but these are supposed to flow better than others. I bought a set a few years back for my TB's.

those are nice...too bad I am not in that income bracket anymore (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Apr 4 2006, 05:39 PM
Post #15

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

MIKE!!!

UNI filters in SoCal, they have clamp on foam elements. used on lots of stuff, gopeds, dirtbikes etc....

i thought about 4 of them, one on each velocity stcak.... too hard to make a rain shield tho
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Apr 4 2006, 05:39 PM
Post #16

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

BaDunk!
(IMG:http://i22.ebayimg.com/05/i/06/c2/f8/cc_1.JPG)
+Quote Post
GS Guy
post Apr 5 2006, 05:59 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 2,325
Region Association: North East States

Maybe contact Remmele?

http://www.remmele-motorsport.com/images/p...kt2005/rem9.jpg

http://www.remmele-motorsport.com/en/index...rcooled_en.html

Yea, like a (guessing...) $1500 air cleaner system makes sense on $200 intake! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/cool_shades.gif)

Jeff
+Quote Post
groot
post Apr 5 2006, 06:11 AM
Post #18

Dis member

Member No.: 1,444

I'm making my own for twin Dellortos. I'm using a 4x16" straight-sided aluminum bread pan that's 4" deep and cutting it in half and welding up each end to create an open top box that's 4x4x6.5". Then I'll cut the bottom so it matches my carbs and use a drop-in K&N panel filter from an Opel.

Here's the real trick.... I'm going to use a NACA duct on top of the filter and bring in cold air (pressurized at speed) from each turn signal opening. I've got those ducts complete and now I just have to finish the filter boxes.

Yes, I know that my jetting will be a compromise.
+Quote Post
maf914
post Apr 5 2006, 07:48 AM
Post #19

Not a Guru!

Member No.: 632

QUOTE (groot @ Apr 5 2006, 04:11 AM)
Here's the real trick.... I'm going to use a NACA duct on top of the filter and bring in cold air (pressurized at speed) from each turn signal opening. I've got those ducts complete and now I just have to finish the filter boxes.

That sounds interesting. What size are the ducts? Since they are fairly long I wonder what the pressure drop will be from the front fender to the engine? How does the NACA duct (do you mean NACA inlet?) work with this arrangement? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
groot
post Apr 5 2006, 07:53 AM
Post #20

Dis member

Member No.: 1,444

I haven't measured the pressure drop and only hoped to get cold air to the engine, but the 3" ducts do deliver some additional pressurized air. I used these last year to get cooler air to the fan. I checked to make sure they work by putting a fan in front of the car and sure enough air blew out of the ducts.

Yes, I'm reversing a NACA duct to put on the filter.... mainly for package reasons (to get the inlet low enough to clear the engine lid).
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 09:21 PM