Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT another question for musicians
scooter311
post Dec 17 2004, 12:42 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,986

Heya peeps sorry for another music-related thread, but I don't know where to start for this, and I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

I've been playing guitar (very poorly (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) ) for a few years now and am always coming up with fun ideas and riffs, like when I'm driving something pops into my head, and by the time I get together with my friends I have forgotten what it was. Also, when we're together we always seem to end up putting together some original ideas on the spot that sound good, but by the next time we get together, it's all been forgotten as well.
I was hoping there was some sort of software or computer-based way to record guitar and bass? Something I could plug into directly from my effects processor, record, and then listen to later? Maybe modify, and put things together as well, like a rythm, a lead, and bass. We even tried plugging a mike into a boombox and taping, but the results have been horriffic.......

I inquired at a local music chain store, and GoateedDude with Limp Bizkit t-shirt told me for 600 bucks he could sell me home recording studio software.

600 bucks INDEED!!!
I say 'not', and have a fine day to that, sir...

Do I hafta spend that much money to do what I want? I can think of waaaay better things to spend 600 buckaroos on, like pick-anything for my 914 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)

Cheerio (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Dec 17 2004, 02:02 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 3
Region Association: Europe

You can get cheap (and simple) home recording stuff. Check E-bay, I'm sure you can find loads of used stuff...

I got some very decent results with just an old fashion tape deck with some cheap ass plastic microphones that were strategicly placed
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Dec 17 2004, 02:09 PM
Post #3

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

When I was with DigiTech I think they were making something that was a processor that had recording capabilities.

Check DigiTech's Site

They might be pricey but as Jeroen has mentioned... you might be able to find one on eBay.
+Quote Post
ninefourteener
post Dec 17 2004, 02:24 PM
Post #4

Perfectly Normal Guy :)

Member No.: 779

Yea.. Its the Digitech GNX-something or other.

It's a solid state processor (I prefer the older tube processors), but from the reviews I've read, it's an excellent product. So you get a processor, AND a recorder with several mixing capabilities.

Here's another idea...... do what I do and just write it down on some blank tablature paper????
+Quote Post
scooter311
post Dec 17 2004, 02:51 PM
Post #5

WOW I priced the Digitech stuff, and right now, I have an old RP20 (I agree, go valve!) that I'm looking at, and will probably be picking up. I can't afford the new GNX stuff, plus, I've heard the one with the recording deal in it, and it doesn't seem to 'sound' right (maybe I wasn't tinkering enough?). An aquaintance returned one not too long ago and just bought a row of pedals instead as well.

I have a few sheets of tab that I tried putting thoughts down on, but I want to be able to 'hear' it pieced together, with rythm (am I not spelling that right (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) ) lead and bass, and it'd be cool to brag to my buddies and say "Have a listen to this, Buckaroos"....

I am perusing the bay now, and have found something called 'cakewalk' that looks like it may be what I'm trying to describe - anyone familiar with it or know what it is?
+Quote Post
balljoint
post Dec 17 2004, 02:56 PM
Post #6

914 Wizard

Member No.: 1,897
Region Association: None

You can buy little digital recorders for less than $100. They fit in your pocket and can record hours of whatever you want, 'Prolly not the best quality recording but more than sufficient to aid your memory.
+Quote Post
scooter311
post Dec 17 2004, 03:20 PM
Post #7

Or how about this??

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=rec/...ase_pid/700519/

This looks even closer....
+Quote Post
redshift
post Dec 17 2004, 03:43 PM
Post #8

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

For when you are humming in the car, you need a simple dictation type recorder.

In the house, you just need to plug a mic into your sound card?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

M
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 04:48 PM