Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

13 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Subaru Transmission Cable Linkage, Some Photos with a Rule
Chris H.
post Oct 12 2013, 02:59 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

DB, do any of these help? I just noticed a couple of threaded holes in what looks like a good location on my trans to bolt a bracket to. You'll see them in the pics. Hopefully this is a common layout. There are a couple inches of clearance between the trans mount and the trans as you can see and I wouldn't have a problem notching it a bit if necessary. It's over-engineered (that's a good thing) and most of the weight is in the front with this layout.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Oct 12 2013, 07:06 PM
Post #22

:: Punch and Pie ::

Member No.: 3,342

I think we'd ALL buy MR2 shifters if it made things easier. (I've already bought one.)

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Oct 10 2013, 08:47 AM) *

We WANT to do it ourselves but we do not all have the engineering skills. This could be a big step!

This is EXACTLY right. If I had the tools, I'd be building this stuff all day, but the reality is, I would rather just pay for something that's already done right. (or close, that I could modify.)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Oct 12 2013, 08:46 PM
Post #23

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

DBCooper's cable shifter on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncmaxYd1WNI
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Oct 13 2013, 07:41 AM
Post #24

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Oct 12 2013, 01:59 PM) *

DB, do any of these help? I just noticed a couple of threaded holes in what looks like a good location on my trans to bolt a bracket to. You'll see them in the pics. Hopefully this is a common layout. There are a couple inches of clearance between the trans mount and the trans as you can see and I wouldn't have a problem notching it a bit if necessary. It's over-engineered (that's a good thing) and most of the weight is in the front with this layout.

Attached Image

Those are the holes used for the transmission bracket in my setup, and that measure, looks about 1-3/4 to 2-1/2 inches, puts that angle iron right in the middle of where the cable runs for my shifter. Means that what I have won't work in the current form with that cradle.

There are a couple of solutions, a bell crank, or an extension of the mounting point on the shift rod bracket, so the cable can run parallel with and closer to the transmission, so it fits in that 1-3/4" space between that angle iron and the trans case. Unfortunately that extends the cable mounting point outwards from the shift rod, meaning that cable end will move more, up and down, when the shift rod is rotated. I don't know if there is enough cable beyond the bracket where it mounts to let it flex enough for that.

Another possibility is drilling a hole right through that angle iron, threading the cable through the hole, and mounting the cable sheath there. You say it's over engineered, and it looks huge, do you think it's strong enough to maintain strength with a 3/4" hole through it? It looks like the angle iron comes down at quite an angle, which may make doing that problematic. The bad thing about a mount that's not on the transmission itself is that it can flex independently of the transmission, moving the cable end and the shift rod in ways that aren't good. But that all looks solid, no soft mounts anywhere between the cradle and the transmission. Anyway, give that some thought, and give me a a little time to see what's possible.

+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Oct 13 2013, 08:05 AM
Post #25

Let me get you a better straight on pic of that hanger with a 3/4 hole outline on it (probably in the wrong spot but who cares (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) ). My opinion is that it would be strong enough. You can actually unbolt the mounts and the trans only falls a couple of inches or so. If the hanger seems too thin after the mod material can be added to strengthen it very easily. I'm sure you agree its key to use the SAME setup for every application if possible. You don't want to get in the "long-distance custom cable shifter cable bracket mount" business. Painful man, painful.

BTW what year is your MR2 shifter? Gonna start trolling Craigslist for a deal just in case.
+Quote Post
effutuo101
post Oct 13 2013, 10:07 AM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,914
Region Association: Southern California

I also have a MR2 shifter that I want to use. I don't have the year handy, but if somebody decides to build, I will buy. Otherwise, when I get back, this is the next project on my list as well as a radiator mount.
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Oct 13 2013, 10:31 AM
Post #27

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Oct 13 2013, 09:41 AM) *

Another possibility is drilling a hole right through that angle iron, threading the cable through the hole, and mounting the cable sheath there. You say it's over engineered, and it looks huge, do you think it's strong enough to maintain strength with a 3/4" hole through it? It looks like the angle iron comes down at quite an angle, which may make doing that problematic. The bad thing about a mount that's not on the transmission itself is that it can flex independently of the transmission, moving the cable end and the shift rod in ways that aren't good. But that all looks solid, no soft mounts anywhere between the cradle and the transmission. Anyway, give that some thought, and give me a a little time to see what's possible.

That's exactly what I was going to monkey around with. At least for one of the two cables. Then, work on some sort of a link for the other that could easily be welded in place to accommodate the spacing and shifter. I was going to build it out of 1/4" plywood and then have a metal version made by someone local with a TIG. If it proves easy enough, I'm guessing that I could just put the plans up here for people to print out and take to a local welder.

Thoughts?
+Quote Post
IM101
post Oct 13 2013, 02:10 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 12,367
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

This thread is killing me... It would be so easy to get a bracket made if I had all my stuff with me and space to do it... I think I was over thinking it before, had a design for a bell crank style set up just never had time cut/weld a prototype and then get it in cad and send it off to laser. I was trying to make it so both cables were the same length and would run nice and neat parallel to the trans to avoid any binding issues that could arise from having one cable go off to the side. DB do you have a shot of how you run your cables, I take it you don't have any issues with binding...

Well shit, now just when I was getting some cash coming in from the new job, and looking for a shop to open up in they decide to change things up and basically lay me off... Maybe I will just have to make the drive back to Oregon this weekend grab what I need to get it done and see if i can piss off the apartment complex just do it in the parking lot...
+Quote Post
effutuo101
post Oct 13 2013, 02:23 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,914
Region Association: Southern California

Go for it. I think there are an easy 20 sets to sell now. I think my headers will get in the way if I run them straight out of the car to the tranny.
+Quote Post
jimkelly
post Oct 13 2013, 03:26 PM
Post #30

Delaware USA

Member No.: 2,460
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

pic from db's thread

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i379.photobucket.com-2460-1381699610.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Oct 13 2013, 04:27 PM
Post #31

QUOTE(IM101 @ Oct 13 2013, 01:10 PM) *
DB do you have a shot of how you run your cables, I take it you don't have any issues with binding...

No, nice curves so no binding (that's my car in Jim's photo, above). Longer cables let you come in to the shift rod at 90 degrees for the rotation, and parallel to the rod for the in-out, which is what you want to keep the mechanism simple. Works great.

I don't really want to make these, so if you can that's perfect. What kind of job are you looking for, anyway? Was the major engineering? Any way you could use your job search to turn up a small fab shop that would let you work with them on some projects? Reason I say that is that custom fab shops tend to know who's doing what in town, even when they aren't directly involved. And better, can give great referrals. Or some serious hobbyist you could team up with to make a few parts for a cut? A Craigslist ad?

+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Oct 13 2013, 06:28 PM
Post #32

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) Alright now we're getting somewhere! Ian once you figure out what you are going to charge why not take deposits to help with your cash flow? Lots of people are stuck at this point in our conversions and would rather not try to make these ourselves. Let us know your thoughts. Don't get thrown out of your apartment though! Not worth it.
+Quote Post
IM101
post Oct 13 2013, 10:11 PM
Post #33

DB,
Cool, I think that'll be the way I go then... Shouldn't be too hard to adapt your design around the cradle system, and with the shape of the pieces I'll probably be able to draft them in a way where I wont need a fixture to weld it a big plus (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif).

As for the job, really just looking to get onto a sales team, some cool tech or software firm would be ideal. At this point though, just looking for something with a salary and health benefits.
Looking back, engineering would have been cool, I just never liked academics, math especially and engineering is all about the math haha. don't get me wrong, I love knowledge acquisition but just could never get into the classroom setting...

Anyway here is my linkedin if anyone has any random leads in Boise (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) http://lnkd.in/s5KCRJ

Chris:
As tempting as it is to do advance deposits, I don't think I will. I've just seen it go sideways too many times, even personally... Remember the axles that were supposed to take 3 weeks, but ended up taking what 4 months for the manufacture to get to me, no thanks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif). I should have enough to do a production run on these without too much problem.
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Oct 14 2013, 04:54 PM
Post #34

Can't help you with a job in PNW, but I'm absolutely down for buying the parts for the shifter!

+Quote Post
r_towle
post Oct 14 2013, 05:16 PM
Post #35

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(IM101 @ Oct 14 2013, 12:11 AM) *

DB,
Cool, I think that'll be the way I go then... Shouldn't be too hard to adapt your design around the cradle system, and with the shape of the pieces I'll probably be able to draft them in a way where I wont need a fixture to weld it a big plus (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif).

As for the job, really just looking to get onto a sales team, some cool tech or software firm would be ideal. At this point though, just looking for something with a salary and health benefits.
Looking back, engineering would have been cool, I just never liked academics, math especially and engineering is all about the math haha. don't get me wrong, I love knowledge acquisition but just could never get into the classroom setting...

Anyway here is my linkedin if anyone has any random leads in Boise (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) http://lnkd.in/s5KCRJ

Chris:
As tempting as it is to do advance deposits, I don't think I will. I've just seen it go sideways too many times, even personally... Remember the axles that were supposed to take 3 weeks, but ended up taking what 4 months for the manufacture to get to me, no thanks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif). I should have enough to do a production run on these without too much problem.

Connect with me on linkedin so I can see your profile.

Rich
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Oct 23 2013, 07:50 PM
Post #36

QUOTE(IM101 @ Oct 13 2013, 09:11 PM) *

DB,

Just to be clear, I'm thinking that means you intend to do this, so I haven't done anything more. If that's wrong let me know. And if you want more information, for example me taking the brackets off the car and photographing with dimensions or whatever, just let me know.

+Quote Post
IM101
post Oct 24 2013, 09:34 AM
Post #37

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Oct 23 2013, 05:50 PM) *

QUOTE(IM101 @ Oct 13 2013, 09:11 PM) *

DB,

Just to be clear, I'm thinking that means you intend to do this, so I haven't done anything more. If that's wrong let me know. And if you want more information, for example me taking the brackets off the car and photographing with dimensions or whatever, just let me know.

Yep I'm on it, just trying to figure out where to get it done at, there aren't any 220 outlets that i can use at the apartment haha. really some more exact dimensions would be nice but not the end of the world if you can't get them, (don't need to injure your back anymore), most likely will just have to do it myself when i get my hands on all the parts.

-Ian
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Oct 24 2013, 09:44 AM
Post #38

::: Waiting patiently ::::

Another thing that'd be helpful is if we could find someplace to get the cables. A "standard" order to be used with an MR2 shifter would be awesome.

I was looking at the Boxster shifters too. They seem to be readily available on eBay with cables for about $200. I wonder if those might work? Or are the cables too short?

eg: http://r.ebay.com/JfPFfK or http://r.ebay.com/PzZSJR

(There are more that are nicer looking, but those were a couple of examples I could find quickly.)
+Quote Post
IM101
post Oct 24 2013, 09:53 AM
Post #39

Well there were some places mentioned earlier in the thread that im looking into just for pricing sake but i do have a spot that i can order custom length/set up cables in bulk... probably will do that and sell it as a kit to make it easy for everyone.

the boxter shifter may work, but the cables are a bit too short. I have an mr2 shifter that i will be basing it off of... but really that portion is up to you guys as i don't have access to my 914 at the moment.
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Oct 24 2013, 10:00 AM
Post #40

Awesome. Keep me in the loop, and make sure I'm at the top of the list please. ;-)

I also need to get a set of your engine mounts...I forgot to buy those from you when I was ordering before...let me know.
+Quote Post

13 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:50 AM