Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

13 Pages V « < 11 12 13  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Subaru Transmission Cable Linkage, Some Photos with a Rule
Mike Bellis
post Oct 18 2014, 12:55 PM
Post #241

Resident Electrician

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

I would cut off the cotter pin tang and drill a hole through for a bolt. The pressed in piece can be used as a bushing of sorts. Make sure the pivot point give you enough throw to activate the cable all the way. I have had to weld extensions on shift linkage to get more throw.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i786.photobucket.com-5327-1413616324.4.jpg)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
IanJ
post Oct 18 2014, 05:15 PM
Post #242

Member No.: 5,327
Region Association: Australia and New Zealand

Thanks for the tips. Will look at it again today.
+Quote Post
El Vikingo Tropical
post Oct 18 2014, 05:56 PM
Post #243

Member No.: 18,003

I use the Boxster shifter on a mid engine race car that I have and it works wel.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Oct 18 2014, 09:01 PM
Post #244

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

QUOTE(El Vikingo Tropical @ Oct 18 2014, 04:56 PM) *

I use the Boxster shifter on a mid engine race car that I have and it works wel.

That looks like an 01E tranny not a Subi but it could be made to work with the Boxster cables and some fab. I've done it by buying 10mm ball studs and making custom linkage at the tranny.
+Quote Post
jimkelly
post May 20 2016, 10:35 PM
Post #245

Delaware USA

Member No.: 2,460
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

wow, very afforsable : )

http://www.donovanequipment.com/search.htm...h+pull&t=pc

thanks
jim

--

QUOTE(nsyr @ May 15 2014, 07:26 PM) *

http://www.donovanequipment.com/catalog_c324325_1.html
Just want to throw this link out there for cable craft cables at a great price.

They have 1/4 & 5/16 bulk head mount cables for around $40 each. Far cheaper than McMaster.

+Quote Post
charliew
post Jul 24 2016, 12:41 PM
Post #246

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,958

so I guess I was off in la la land and missed out on one of these kits. dang, I started out thinking I would need to build my own and I guess it has gone back to that. I sent Ian a pm but he must be doing other things now.

I read the post again and did not see the mfg or the length of the cables that were the final choice.
edit: I found the length for the straight ones to be 7 feet so that is what I will try first. I'm hoping that will put the shifter close to the wheel.

thanks to DB for starting this and everyone one else for their input.

The prototype Ian put together used a aluminum throttle bell crank I found online but I haven't found a steel one yet. I will order the 7 foot cables go from there I guess.
+Quote Post
72black914
post Aug 4 2016, 04:22 AM
Post #247

Member No.: 18,894
Region Association: Middle East

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Oct 10 2013, 08:14 AM) *

If we could get a few people together I think I could duplicate mine and get a few made. If you're interested let me know. Only problem is that the throw on this one was calibrated for the MR2 shifter, so if you're using some other shifter that would probably change. I might be able to accommodate that too, but will need to find out. So if you're interested let me know. If I'm taking things apart I could probably get the cables made as well (they were custom from a shop in Fresno) so all you'd need to do would be find and install the MR2 shifter.

EDIT: Hold up. Re-reading Doug's post about Ian's cradle, and then looking at the photo in Jim's post, there's a kind of funny drop to the transmission mount, looks like angle iron. I remember talking about that when he was designing it, and think that was to accommodate using either a 901 or Subaru transmission with the same cradle. I can't see well in those photos, but it could be that that mount would interfere with the main cable locator bracket and where the cable runs. Would it be possible to get more detailed photos from different angles, to try to see if there would be interference before I take mine apart to make copies?

I'm not good at searching on this site so did you ever make a cable set for a tailshift? Thx Nick
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Oct 11 2016, 10:46 AM
Post #248

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(72black914 @ Aug 4 2016, 03:22 AM) *

I'm not good at searching on this site so did you ever make a cable set for a tailshift? Thx Nick

No, never did. I'm pretty lazy so was actually kind of laying out the information and hoping someone else would.

It's been a while, and I can add some things to this thread. I've been driving my car again after two years of not being able to get into the damned thing because of a bad back. A little while back my son put a Subaru transmission into his car. It already had a WRX motor and he lived in a house where his lease prohibited working on cars, so we assembled the parts we needed to get the transmission into it in a weekend, so no one would notice. That meant we used mostly purchased parts instead of fabricating. One of the things we bought was a cable shift kit that included a bell crank to rotate the shift rod, where the linkage on my car (described in this thread) uses a longer cable that loops around so it comes in to the rod at a 90 degree angle and rotates the rod directly.

Both cars are done now, both with WRX engines and the same Subaru transmissions, which means we can compare the cars side by side. My linkage, with the direct cable connection, is crisper, more precise, really nice. His car is good to very good, very drive-able, but doesn't shift quite as nicely as mine. We also used the stock 914 brake master and a plate from 76-914 to use a Honda clutch master. The Honda master is excellent, lighter and nicer to use and a lot cheaper than my Tilton pedals and Howe clutch and brake masters. More legroom, too. The other thing that turned out really well was a lightened Subaru flywheel. I generally don't like lightened flywheels in street cars, but the 914 is much lighter than a Subaru so really benefits, making the car much more responsive without losing much or any drive-ability.

Anyway, nothing earth-shattering, just you don't often get a chance to do a side-by-side of converted cars, so interesting and hopefully helpful to someone.

+Quote Post
dwillouby
post Oct 11 2016, 12:01 PM
Post #249

Member No.: 29

Did you design one for the 901 trans?

David
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
72black914
post Jan 25 2017, 07:02 PM
Post #250

Member No.: 18,894
Region Association: Middle East

QUOTE(72black914 @ Aug 4 2016, 05:22 AM) *

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Oct 10 2013, 08:14 AM) *

If we could get a few people together I think I could duplicate mine and get a few made. If you're interested let me know. Only problem is that the throw on this one was calibrated for the MR2 shifter, so if you're using some other shifter that would probably change. I might be able to accommodate that too, but will need to find out. So if you're interested let me know. If I'm taking things apart I could probably get the cables made as well (they were custom from a shop in Fresno) so all you'd need to do would be find and install the MR2 shifter.

EDIT: Hold up. Re-reading Doug's post about Ian's cradle, and then looking at the photo in Jim's post, there's a kind of funny drop to the transmission mount, looks like angle iron. I remember talking about that when he was designing it, and think that was to accommodate using either a 901 or Subaru transmission with the same cradle. I can't see well in those photos, but it could be that that mount would interfere with the main cable locator bracket and where the cable runs. Would it be possible to get more detailed photos from different angles, to try to see if there would be interference before I take mine apart to make copies?

I appreciate the reply. Your car sounds like it would be a blast to drive. Thanks Again, Nick
+Quote Post
flmont
post Jan 1 2018, 02:12 PM
Post #251

Member No.: 9,676
Region Association: Southwest Region

Any cable kits for a 901 trans.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 1 2018, 02:23 PM
Post #252

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

QUOTE(flmont @ Jan 1 2018, 03:12 PM) *

Any cable kits for a 901 trans.

Cableshift.com does one for a 914 sideshift trans.
+Quote Post
flmont
post Jan 1 2018, 03:47 PM
Post #253

Member No.: 9,676
Region Association: Southwest Region

Mepstein,..any experience with this vendor,.I would like to go this route on my build ??? Thanks Frank
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 1 2018, 04:32 PM
Post #254

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

QUOTE(flmont @ Jan 1 2018, 04:47 PM) *

Mepstein,..any experience with this vendor,.I would like to go this route on my build ??? Thanks Frank

Not personally. PMS sells their version of this for non tradional builds and there are many reviews on the web. Most are positive. It’s the only - off the shelf - cable shifter for a 914 trans that I’ve ever seen. Many guys (including me) plan to build their own but few get done. Since you are using a 914 trans, you can always stick with conventional rod linkage.
+Quote Post

13 Pages V « < 11 12 13
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 05:26 PM