Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Dellorto Tuning, for head temps and power
yeahmag
post Oct 8 2013, 10:54 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,946
Region Association: Southern California

The new motor is fully broken in by now, so I've started tuning. For reference it's specs are:

2056cc
AA 96mm P&C (5+ years old now) balanced
Raby 86A based cam
2L heads with SS valves and dual springs. Cleaned up and fly cut.
Stock rods - balanced
9.5:1 CR
Mallory Unilite (grey-grey, 12-28)
Mallory 6AL (6500 RPM rev limiter)
CB Dry Sump pump (very massaged)
4:1 header (1.5" primaries with 2.25" extend secondary and Phase9 style silencer)

Gauges:
Innovate LM-1
Aircraft Spruce M1000 CHT
VDO Oil Pressure and Temp

Head temps were always great when wide open, but fairly warm when cruising and rich at WOT. Idle seems a bit lean too. Seemed to cruise at 350F-375F on #3 and 3K RPM. Nice and cool around town. Initial configs:

40 Dells
34 vent
180 air
140 main
60 idle
2 turns out on idle volume adjusters

Initial change to a 200 air to bring the mains in a bit sooner. That brought the 3K RPM cruise head temps down to 300F! Perfect! But as I started cruising closer to 4K RPM (80+ MPH on a hot day) head temps climbed and the AFR leaned out. I also noted that while I was no longer pig rich at WOT I managed to go a bit to lean. Next change was to a 145 main.

The 145 main seems to have had a very positive effect. The car is FAST. AFR is 12.5-12.7 at WOT and I'm cruising around 14.5-15.5. I need to get it out on a long highway drive to see head temps, but I expect positive results.

Idle seems lean (16-18 AFR). While I'm not popping and snapping I think I could stand to throw my 62's in there. I imagine the AFR is a bit skewed at that low of RPM due to reversion, but on the other hand you have to wonder if the Mallory 6AL is covering up some of the lean mixture. No head temp issues, at those low speeds (250F), but I'd like to keep the AFR readings on the rich side of 16:1.

I love this stuff... There is also something very satisfying about reaming your own jets.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 05:31 PM