Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Painful rust issue, suggestions???
jwalters
post Dec 18 2004, 07:52 AM
Post #1

Sooo Close.......

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,068
Region Association: Europe

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) Guys and gals, I have a painful situation which has arrisan. Look closely at the pics>

My predicament is that I need to replace this area which includes the left cross bar mount..

I have a spare car with excellent metal--I was thinking on cutting this large area out from the spare, trimming it down and marking the cut out area onto this car and then.....

Would it be advisable to do like as if I am adding flares (glass) and leave a lip and seam weld it as well as drill holes in the rpl. piece and tack it as well--this would move the mount the thickness of the metal -or -

trim it out exact and just seam weld it along the perimiter--

Is there enough adjustability in the front to make up that extra thickness by going the first route???

I sure want it strong enough!!

Thanks in advance! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jwalters
post Dec 18 2004, 07:53 AM
Post #2

Sooo Close.......

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
brant
post Dec 18 2004, 01:36 PM
Post #3

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I think you would want to seam weld it...

but are you sure this is worth it?
If your other car is rust free.... maybe you should save it and make this one the parts car.
or buy a 1k rust free shell.

b
+Quote Post
redshift
post Dec 18 2004, 06:22 PM
Post #4

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

First off, that's nothing... you ever see Gint's car lik a year ago? (lo freekin l!)

Replace it in it's plane... keep everything butted... you can make it un-visable... and brag to 'us who know'..

That one spot almost looks like hair, maybe you can sell that to a needy member.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

M
+Quote Post
jwalters
post Dec 18 2004, 08:29 PM
Post #5

Sooo Close.......

QUOTE(redshift @ Dec 18 2004, 04:22 PM)
First off, that's nothing... you ever see Gint's car lik a year ago? (lo freekin l!)

Replace it in it's plane... keep everything butted... you can make it un-visable... and brag to 'us who know'..

That one spot almost looks like hair, maybe you can sell that to a needy member.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

M

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif)

Yea cool--my two cars are unique--one is a daily ( the one in the photo ) and the other was / is my A/X project--

Each one has its own rust issues-my daily far less than the donor of metal--boy am I glad I have that biatch!

To any body else --I am going to pull the left front fender and a door sill piece and that portion of the trunk area--if any body wants this car for more donor metal PM me--I might just let you take it from me--it has allot of good panels left.........

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 10:26 PM