Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The one(s) that got away (Porsche or others), Cars....not chicks
7TPorsh
post Oct 17 2013, 09:46 AM
Post #21

7T Porsh

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,782
Region Association: Southern California

in 1980. Concours level 1969 Fiat Dino Spider for $10k...at that was at a Rolls Royce Dealer in Beverly Hills.

Just 4 months ago...I am the second guy to the "barn". All original Lotus Europa JPS goes for $1100
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Oct 17 2013, 10:20 AM
Post #22

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865
Region Association: None

1983 ~ neighbor had been working on his 69 Charger RT since 1979. Lost the car in the divorce to the wife. I was offered the car for $1K by the ex-wife. Father wouldn't let me buy it since I was only 16yr old. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

1988 ~ Mint and I mean mint 1978 Dodge Little Red Express for $5k, again a divorce sale. I was young and dumb. I was living in an apartment and had no place to store it.

1995 ~ Passed up a deal on a 66 911 complete running project car for $2500. I was in the middle of wedding plans and the (now ex) future Mrs didn't want that in "her" garage. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)

2008 ~ Was offered a 71 914/6 for $13K. Complete running one owner. Need battery tray & jack post repair, but nothing major. This is right when things were starting to go south for Motorola and I wasn't sure if I would have a job. I had to pass. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
championgt1
post Oct 17 2013, 11:35 AM
Post #23

Don't embarrass me Filmore!

Member No.: 7,420
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

1994 I was 16 and my parents neighbor was selling his 65 Mustang fastback for a whopping $9000.

1996 I was at a SCCA race and there was a mint looking 73 911S for sale in the parking lot for a whopping $17,500.

2003 at a vintage race and there was a really nice 356 super 90 for sale in the parking lot for $12,000.

No money when I was a kid! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Oct 17 2013, 02:30 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Dang I can't believe I forgot the most incredible car miss of my life....Garold's story reminded me of it....listen to how stupid I am... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)

edit...not sure why I wrote a dang novel the first time...bottom line is I could have had a near-concours quality sixer for about $17,500 a mere 11 years ago with records back to day 1. The mechanic on some of the early paperwork's name was "Bruce Anderson". (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) It was that guy.
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Oct 17 2013, 04:46 PM
Post #25

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871
Region Association: South East States

Forgot to add that while in college my roommate had a Triumph Spitfire. Back in the early 1980's (for the kids on the forum that was before internet and cell phones) you bought parts through Hemmings, car clubs, specialty parts catalogs and junkyards. There was a junkyard in Columbia, SC (it's still operating) that was loaded with wrecked import cars and my roommate and I spent several Saturdays exploring every inch of that place. In the front he sold the more restorable cars. I remember he had several Jaguar XK120's, 140's, etc. for $4 and $5K. I thought that was outrageous.

Two XKE stories I forgot to mention:
1. The father of my high school girlfriend had a beautiful early Series 1 OTS XKE that was in mint condition. I could have bought that car for $5K

2. One Sunday morning in 1988 I came across an ad for a low mileage one owner series II XKE. The seller wanted $17K. I told the seller I would be there the next day (Monday) with the money after I went by the bank. I thought we had a deal. I showed up the next day at the guys house and he acted like he had never talked to me. He had sold the car. I saw that car in Hemmings a few months later for $45K.
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Oct 17 2013, 05:27 PM
Post #26

Can I get this one dad??

Member No.: 7,987

1968 Camaro SS, all original, needed some minor restoration $5k in 1985. Then Ex wife was against it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
Porschef
post Oct 17 2013, 06:36 PM
Post #27

How you doin'

Member No.: 12,152
Region Association: North East States

2. One Sunday morning in 1988 I came across an ad for a low mileage one owner series II XKE. The seller wanted $17K. I told the seller I would be there the next day (Monday) with the money after I went by the bank. I thought we had a deal. I showed up the next day at the guys house and he acted like he had never talked to me. He had sold the car. I saw that car in Hemmings a few months later for $45K.

Bill,

I bought a series II (1970) in 85 for 6500.. Original owner gal had bought it in early 72 and subsequently got married, had kids, new job,etc...when I looked at it, it was covered with kids toys and whatnot..mices schnibbling on da rubber....cleaned it up and drove the heck out of it. When I got the 911 in 1990, it made that E-type feel completely antiquated..

Sold it in 1990 for 24k. After Enzo passed all collectibles shot up. I just happened to be on the wave....

It was a bit of a rust bouquet..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) but chicks dug it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
Type 47
post Oct 17 2013, 09:28 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 11,790

QUOTE(stephenaki @ Oct 17 2013, 03:27 PM) *

1968 Camaro SS, all original, needed some minor restoration $5k in 1985. Then Ex wife was against it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

OMG...you know what that's worth today!!!
+Quote Post
1970 Neun vierzehn
post Oct 18 2013, 06:38 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,727

Way back in 1968, when I was dating Linda (who is now my wife), we looked at a 1963 Corvette split-window for....$2000. We passed on it....too old (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Around 1983, I had the opportunity to dip my toes into Ferrari waters for $8000. The car in question was a mid-'50s Ferrari 250 Boano. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif) It was blue with a red leather interior (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)

The attached photos are not that car but a pretty good indication of the condition of the car. In today's context, having bought that car for 8K would have been a very good investment, even though it might have been re-bodied as a 250 GT SWB Berlinetta or 250 GTO clone or tribute. Hell, people are even restoring Ferrari Boanos today (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) I didn't buy it because I thought it was damn ugly, and opinion I still hold today

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Oct 18 2013, 07:04 PM
Post #30

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871
Region Association: South East States

That Ferrari would be a nice part of a retirement plan! :-)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th June 2024 - 01:44 AM