Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 914World Classifieds Rules

We've established the following rules to help make your sales/purchases as successful as possible!
- Please List WTB:, FS:, TRADE: etc (want to buy, for sale, and trade respectively) before your add title.
- You *must* put a price in your ad and state how you would like payment!
- If you'd like to bump your ads, feel free to do so every two days.
- DO NOT MAKE YOUR ADS IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS! It's considered rude.
- All eBay ads belong in the eBay category.
- Please consolidate your ads into one big lump... listings and pictures together in one thread. Please be considerate of other classified users!!
- Mark your items "SOLD" once you sell them. Please do not ask to have ads removed. Ads will automatically hide themselves after 30 days. We also ask that you leave your pricing in the ads to help others determine fair market value for future sales.

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> FS: A/C Compressor Kit, Mounts to top of Engine
dlee6204
post Mar 15 2020, 07:12 AM
Post #21

Howdy

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,956

It's true. I've been off the grid for a while in regards to A/C stuff. After completing the initial development on this stuff, life really took off for me. Finished school, got a job, had two kids and I also moved to the mountains where A/C is not required. I've had quite a few inquire about this stuff over the years but I've never been in a position to start the project back up as I've had so much going on with "life".

With that being said I am now working on making a small volume of pullies and adapters to get started. I also have some more prototyping work going on with the mount. Hopefully I will be able to offer more in the future but no guarantee as to if/when that will happen.

In the meantime if anyone would like to tackle their own AC system, I am more than happy to help and support anyway I can.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
wes
post Mar 15 2020, 02:13 PM
Post #22

wes

Member No.: 8,436
Region Association: Northern California

I’ll be watching and very interested.
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Mar 15 2020, 02:35 PM
Post #23

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Member No.: 17,042
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Congrats to you, Doug. Life sounds good (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)

I'll be watching for your A/C stuff (and those beautiful rocker panels in the other thread) if it becomes available.

Good luck!
+Quote Post
friethmiller
post Apr 15 2020, 07:31 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 22,863
Region Association: Southwest Region

Sounds good, Doug! Can you put me in for a pre-order, if and when you have them available? I'm 2 1/2 years into a complete restoration on my '74. Mounting the compressor on the engine seems like it will be "forever" from now.
+Quote Post
racingredsc
post Apr 16 2020, 03:42 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 15,762
Region Association: South East States

I'd like the complete set up. That would give me a reason to go to the mountains.
QUOTE(friethmiller @ Apr 15 2020, 09:31 PM) *

Sounds good, Doug! Can you put me in for a pre-order, if and when you have them available? I'm 2 1/2 years into a complete restoration on my '74. Mounting the compressor on the engine seems like it will be "forever" from now.

+Quote Post
wes
post Apr 16 2020, 10:54 PM
Post #26

wes

QUOTE(racingredsc @ Apr 16 2020, 02:42 PM) *

I'd like the complete set up. That would give me a reason to go to the mountains.
QUOTE(friethmiller @ Apr 15 2020, 09:31 PM) *

I’d also like to be inline for a complete set up when the time comes.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Apr 17 2020, 02:24 AM
Post #27

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

I'm reupholstering our white 914 ('HOWARD) with a tan interior to keep it cool, but just in case it isn't enough to keep the temps down ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
ejmetz
post Apr 17 2020, 07:17 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 22,438
Region Association: South East States

Hi Doug - we messaged a while ago, but please keep me on your list as well. Thanks!
+Quote Post
friethmiller
post May 1 2020, 08:53 AM
Post #29

Well, I started the installation process of my A/C on my '74 the other weekend. I went with the Classic Auto Air system. My plan was to just cut the holes needed for the hoses and condenser box prior to painting the [top side of my] car. Here are some photos of the condenser install:

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
sfrenck
post May 1 2020, 12:19 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 11,411

How close to the ground does the condensor intake lip sit?

+Quote Post
Literati914
post May 1 2020, 07:50 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 7,222

Something I've always wondered about..does the valance or air dam not interfere with the air into that intake scoop?
+Quote Post
friethmiller
post May 3 2020, 12:09 PM
Post #32

Excellent question. I didn’t even think about that (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif). I’ll pull the valance out and see about the clearance. God help me if I have to make any more cuts! That damn compressor is going to be “top-mounted”, I can tell you that!
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post May 3 2020, 02:07 PM
Post #33

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Member No.: 17,042

I think the scoop is a kind of a non-issue. The condenser has a pretty good size fan to push (or pull?) air across it, so I'm not sure how much of it requires air movement under the car.

I've got a similar setup from a shop I worked with in Las Vegas (can't remember their name). I haven't been driving my car in work clothes in the summer as much and I'm really hesitant to start cutting up the frunk. I've had it on the shelf for almost 2 years now.
+Quote Post
friethmiller
post May 13 2020, 08:46 PM
Post #34

QUOTE(Literati914 @ May 1 2020, 08:50 PM) *

Something I've always wondered about..does the valance or air dam not interfere with the air into that intake scoop?

I looked at the bottom of the valance and it's contact points and can say that this condenser scoop is below and back from that. Once I get the car painted and go to reassemble everything, I will definitely post pictures.
+Quote Post
wes
post Jun 27 2020, 12:21 PM
Post #35

wes

QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Mar 15 2020, 06:12 AM) *

It's true. I've been off the grid for a while in regards to A/C stuff. After completing the initial development on this stuff, life really took off for me. Finished school, got a job, had two kids and I also moved to the mountains where A/C is not required. I've had quite a few inquire about this stuff over the years but I've never been in a position to start the project back up as I've had so much going on with "life".

With that being said I am now working on making a small volume of pullies and adapters to get started. I also have some more prototyping work going on with the mount. Hopefully I will be able to offer more in the future but no guarantee as to if/when that will happen.

In the meantime if anyone would like to tackle their own AC system, I am more than happy to help and support anyway I can.

Pm sent just in the case you might have one of the pulley adapters or more. Thanks
+Quote Post
friethmiller
post Sep 7 2020, 12:25 PM
Post #36

Ok, started building-up my short block this weekend. It won't be long now before I'll be looking to mount my A/C compressor. Doug, any plans to start building these kits again? If not, any chance you can you let me know the length of the pulley extender so I can start the process of fabricating my own. Thanks in advance.
+Quote Post
friethmiller
post Feb 26 2021, 08:28 AM
Post #37

Update: my engine had some clearance issues after Fat/Rimco cleared the case. Standup folks out there. Ended up sending it back to them and had them build the entire engine to make it right. Engine is arriving Mar 2nd. Need to get back to the A/C pulling and bracket stuff. Does anyone have any updated info on possibly acquiring the mount and pull system? Or, at least the specs so I start fabricating these parts. Thanks in advance.
+Quote Post
dlee6204
post Feb 26 2021, 08:42 AM
Post #38

Howdy

Member No.: 5,956

@friethmiller I got your PM the other day but forgot to get back to you. PM your way shortly.
+Quote Post
Literati914
post Feb 26 2021, 08:45 AM
Post #39

Member No.: 7,222

QUOTE(friethmiller @ Sep 7 2020, 12:25 PM) *

.. Doug, any plans to start building these kits again? If not, any chance you can you let me know the length of the pulley extender so I can start the process of fabricating my own. Thanks in advance.

QUOTE(friethmiller @ Feb 26 2021, 08:28 AM) *

.. Need to get back to the A/C pulling and bracket stuff. Does anyone have any updated info on possibly acquiring the mount and pull system? Or, at least the specs so I start fabricating these parts. Thanks in advance.

I wish you luck on this, I need these items also, maybe @dlee6204 will drop in with an update and/or offer up design info (if he's not interested in producing them - which is understandable too).

+Quote Post
wes
post Feb 26 2021, 12:41 PM
Post #40

wes

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) PM on the way!
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 12:20 AM