Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I figured on a triple gauge Take-2 see the end., trying it myself - again, sigh
worn
post Jul 30 2015, 12:00 PM
Post #21

can't remember

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,152
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(914forme @ Jul 30 2015, 10:52 AM) *

Oh nice and great job (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif) I'll take one, I need it for my 914-6 restoration.

Now onto lettering.

Silkscreening, is the way to go. But the this is how New Vintage started their gauges.

Well I have my positive and my lamp so I will let you know. Have to screen them flat and then press, cause I am real rusty on silk screening. In my day we cut stencils out of tracing paper and used the ink to hold them on the screen.

Do you think that other method is better?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 30 2015, 12:14 PM
Post #22

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I'd like one.
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Jul 30 2015, 12:20 PM
Post #23

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871
Region Association: South East States

Yep...if you decide to sell these put me on a list!
+Quote Post
Valy
post Jul 30 2015, 01:39 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 11,573
Region Association: Northern California

Wow! Great job!
+Quote Post
'73-914kid
post Jul 30 2015, 01:50 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 9,714
Region Association: Southern California

Please put me down for a piece as well. Been running around with a low fuel light rather than a gauge for the past year..
+Quote Post
worn
post Aug 5 2015, 02:04 PM
Post #26

can't remember

QUOTE(worn @ Jul 30 2015, 11:00 AM) *

Oh nice and great job (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif) I'll take one, I need it for my 914-6 restoration.

Now onto lettering.

Silkscreening, is the way to go. But the this is how New Vintage started their gauges.

Well I have my positive and my lamp so I will let you know. Have to screen them flat and then press, cause I am real rusty on silk screening. In my day we cut stencils out of tracing paper and used the ink to hold them on the screen.

I tried two exposures with the inexpensive silk screen kit to make the stencils. Had I tried this first I would have stopped, cause they aren't horrible. But they are all a bit off. The high exposure leaves things out and the lower exposure of the emulsion made everything too blocky. I might in time get it, but it would be hard.

This is a screen emulsion after exposure and wash. I was psyched at this stage. If it was for a T-shirt it would be great.

Attached Image

I went back to the press-on vinyl with some mods in technique.
So what do you think about this:
Attached Image

If it doesn't fall apart on it's own, it is what will go into the car.

I also decided to follow Andy's method and simplify the wiring. Especially as the LED runs 4 wires for the colors.
Deutsch connectors from Jegs/ebay.
Attached Image

So the back looks like this. It says 11/85 and is from I think the donor car for the 3.2. However there are only 3 spade connectors for the tach part. I think that is all I need: power, ground, and signal.

Attached Image

If you have any insight into wiring the tach to the DME I would welcome it.

Also, I have had enough for awhile. I want to hear the motor crank more than have a cute gauge. Do you think it is good enough as a stopping point? I will be back at it as the snow closes us in, but for now.

As for distribution.

I have some ideas yet to try to make them easier to make and better in quality. A laser printable substrate with the right texture and enough stretch for the curves is what I am looking for. It need not be self stick. This vinyl may be good enough.

Or a quality screen print on the metal before forming.
A) They have to be good enough. Not sure they are yet.

B) This has taken so much time that I would only send them out for free to individuals who would use them.

C) I am sort of interested in making entire gauges ready to plug and play. To do that the quality would have to be there and we would need to decide how authentic they need be. My stash of gauge pots is limited, but one could make substitutes with air motors. If we go that way, I will let my son do the work, and he will ask for some compensation. Unfortunately he favors French and British marques, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Aug 5 2015, 03:44 PM
Post #27

914-6 GT in waiting

Put me on your list. I have the 911 gauges ready to convert into the triple gauge.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Aug 5 2015, 06:52 PM
Post #28

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

QUOTE(worn @ Jul 30 2015, 02:00 PM) *

Now onto lettering.

Yes I prefer the other method actually. The best way was an Alps printer as it will print in white. You can find them all day long, but they are $$$$
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Aug 5 2015, 07:31 PM
Post #29

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(914forme @ Aug 5 2015, 08:52 PM) *

Now onto lettering.

Yes I prefer the other method actually. The best way was an Alps printer as it will print in white. You can find them all day long, but they are $$$$

Can you rent time on one?
+Quote Post
914forme
post Aug 6 2015, 04:43 AM
Post #30

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 5 2015, 09:31 PM) *

QUOTE(914forme @ Aug 5 2015, 08:52 PM) *

Now onto lettering.

Can you rent time on one?

excellent idea, never tried.Im a tool / gadget whore, so I always look at ROI on a tool. The rental / lease thing never grosses my mind.
+Quote Post
worn
post Aug 6 2015, 02:30 PM
Post #31

can't remember

QUOTE(914forme @ Aug 5 2015, 05:52 PM) *

Now onto lettering.

The foil toner transfer looked interesting but very fiddle as well. But it works? I am about to check out the alps machine. How close do you think the last one is? The photo is accurate. Since it is generally a bit dim, I am probably going to use it, but I can take and welcome the critique.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 12:41 AM