Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fantabulous weekend at the track, (Mostly)
campbellcj
post May 26 2003, 09:11 AM
Post #1

I can't Re Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

Damn, I am really starting to love this car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

POC Streets of Willow (time trial format); two separate events Sat & Sun. My first trailering experience was uneventful, other than the fact that my car is so low that it's a bitch to load and unload. The front spoiler has to come off, so it needs to get dzus fasteners. The trailer itself pulls nicely and I'm convinced this is THE way to go. Cushy ride, A/C, tunes, and plenty of room for my crap.

I spent Saturday trying to get used to the car, and fighting off dehydration. It was 100F, very dry, and very windy. I didn't drink enough fluids in the a.m. (combined with a few cocktails and very little sleep the night before). My Bosch CD box died while the car was warming up; fortunately JW has seen just about everything over the years, and his old beater van carries a huge supply of spares and tools. Swapped out the boxes, and the car fired right back up (whew).

We ran clockwise direction which is a little slower, but is the direction I have run more often than CCW. I worked on my line and braking all day, taking it relatively easy on the car. I'm finally getting used to the powerband of the small "S" cammed motor; it seems happy running at 4000-7000 all day long and gets really pissy if you drop much below 4000. In one of the practice sessions, I saw something black go flying up over my head at 80-90mph...later found out it was one of my POS old magnetic numbers, which had been stuck on with about 5 pieces of tape but managed to catch some air and go flying. (Now I'm motivated to get my new graphics done.) I scrubbed in the new Hoosiers in the last practice, ran my two timed runs, and put the car away for the night.

After a good dinner, plenty of sleep, and a tasty artery-clogging breakfast, Sunday started off well. It was cooler too, "only" about 90F and a little less windy. Counterclockwise direction today. I let JW (Otto) take the car out on the first practice session, so he could get a feel for the gearing mods we are discussing and also see how far off the carb jetting feels (...a lot...dyno session in the plans). He really hustled the car around the track and said it was a fun ride. Unfortunately my transponder and HotLap timer were both powered off - DOH! He was easily doing 2+ secs a lap quicker than me though; enough faster out of the turns that we could tell just by watching from the pits. He gave me some shift-point tips that helped significantly later.

I ran quite well the rest of the day. I didn't get any little trophies to take home, but I did meet some more great new people...and I shaved 1.16 secs off my previous personal best time. Another 1 - 1.5 secs and I will be seriously competitive for this class (V4). The short gearbox, LSD, dyno tuning, and some additional lightening should do the trick.

Things went downhill somewhat after I left the track. About a mile from my house, where there's a long downgrade, I got stopped by a CHP officer. Oh crap - first time in 4+ years I think. Said I was doing 68-69 vs 55 since I was trailering. He was a pretty young guy and we chatted about the 914 for a minute, then he let me off with a warning...woohoo!

The stop actually occurred right at the offramp to my street. 20 seconds later my cell phone rings. One of my main guys at work, whom I've known for 14 years, died of a massive heart attack yesterday morning. This was not a complete surprise as his health has been pretty shaky for the last couple years, but it is still tragic on a personal as well as professional level. He was one of the most decent, hard working men I have known. RIP, Richard.

Now it's time to unload the car and get ready to burn some meat on the grill later...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post May 26 2003, 09:31 AM
Post #2

I can't Re Member

I didn't take any pics this weekend except this one. The car w/ the new exhaust, oil cooler (not shown, it's in the front, LOL) and the 16x7 Fuchs+Hoosiers.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Zeke
post May 26 2003, 09:38 AM
Post #3

Never left, but not right....

Member No.: 197
Region Association: None

Very sorry about your friend/colleague, Chris. Good news on the skating of the ticket. Good thing you didn't cap off the successful two hot/dry/windy days with some cold ones. That can be nasty when dealing with the man.
+Quote Post
Gint
post May 26 2003, 10:24 AM
Post #4

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Sorry to hear about your friend Chris.

As for the trailer ramps, the PO of my trailer made some 10' units that work perfect for a 914. Pretty simple design. I can shoot pics later if you'd like me to.

Sounds like a great day at the track! That car is looking fantastic. Both of your 914s end up being the example to emulate. Nice work.
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post May 26 2003, 10:39 AM
Post #5

I can't Re Member

Gint; thanks. The PO of the trailer had a Spec Miata he claimed could get up on these ramps...I am skeptical. My car is a close squeeze even with the front (hitch) end jacked up, and wood planks under the ramps. I think they're 6ft ramps.

Problem is that the storage slots for the ramps might not handle anything longer; I'll scope that out. As long as I get a good wood plank setup, and make the front spoiler easily removable, it'll be OK.

I think I'll put a winch on it too. A guy at the track had one, and it looked a lot less "sketchy" than driving up onto the bed. It is pretty freaky driving onto something where you can't really see anything ahead or underneath the car. Plus of course "if" I ever break the car, the winch would be a lifesaver. A guy yesterday had a tie-rod or a-arm break and his whole front suspension collapsed (fortunately in a slow, but high-G, section of the track). The right-front wheel was jammed up under the fenderwell and dragging on the ground. Ouch.
+Quote Post
seanery
post May 26 2003, 12:25 PM
Post #6

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

Chris,

Sorry to hear about your friend. Death always adds a little perspective to things. My perspective leans toward-make sure you do the things you enjoy with the people you enjoy being with!

Your car looks fantastic, I love the fuch's!
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post May 26 2003, 01:23 PM
Post #7

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

Dude.. the FUCHS look awesome.

Sorry to hear about the dead worker.

Electric winch and longer ramps.

Just secure a new set of ramps to the floor of the trailer while towing. Doesnt make much sense to come up with some trick design that slides in.

I think I drove 1 car to a autoX when I was 18. I have towed everything since then. You now know why.

B
+Quote Post
seanery
post May 26 2003, 02:03 PM
Post #8

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

Hey Brad,

Why don't you tell us all why trick sliding ramp enclosures aren't so cool! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
Zeke
post May 26 2003, 02:23 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(Gint @ May 26 2003, 08:24 AM)

As for the trailer ramps, the PO of my trailer made some 10' units that work perfect for a 914. Pretty simple design. I can shoot pics later if you'd like me to.

Yes, do. I am looking for ramps. I just bought a trailer last weekend. The ramps included are way short.
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post May 26 2003, 03:11 PM
Post #10

I can't Re Member

I just found out that unloading at my house is a piece of cake. Our driveway is sloped (up)...so I backed the trailer in, and the ass-end was practically on the ground. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

I also picked up some sections of 2"x10" plank to put on the ground under the existing ramps. The tiny decrease in the ramp slope/angle does the trick (I borrowed some similar planks at the track).

Happy Memorial Day everybody, BTW (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post May 26 2003, 06:36 PM
Post #11

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

Good to hear about the day, sorry about your friend. I need to get out on the track again, I miss it.

If you need help on the graphics, let me know. My guy is up and running again....
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post May 26 2003, 08:24 PM
Post #12

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

Hay, I saw a neat (read: cheep, the best kind) trick the other day. Simple wooden ramps about 2 feet long that the guy backed his truck on to. They were 6-8 inches tall. This raised the truck's rear bunper...and thus the hitch, which causes the back end of his trailer to go down an equal amount. He musta had one of them there low slung racin'
vehicles to off load.

Mebby 5 bucks to build. Gonna have to make me 2.
+Quote Post
Dave Cawdrey
post May 26 2003, 08:33 PM
Post #13

Dumbo going poop, Daddy :)

Member No.: 182

Chris,

What kind of megaphones are those? Are they tuneable (disks)?
+Quote Post
Zeke
post May 26 2003, 10:05 PM
Post #14

I didn't mean to hijack campbell's thread, but thanks Ginter. That'll work for me and I can go join CJC at the track. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif)
+Quote Post
Gint
post May 26 2003, 10:13 PM
Post #15

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20

I didn't mean to hijack campbell's thread, but thanks Ginter. That'll work for me and I can go join CJC at the track.  

I deleted it. Problem solved. Pics are here:

Trailer ramps pics thread link
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post May 26 2003, 11:25 PM
Post #16

I can't Re Member

QUOTE(korijo @ May 26 2003, 07:33 PM)
Chris,

What kind of megaphones are those? Are they tuneable (disks)?

Nope, they are true megaphones (open pipes). Made by European Racing Headers in NV.

The car sounds sweet with the Webers sucking thru the ITG's plus the open pipes... I fired it up at home today and the neighbors probably loved it (not) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
post May 26 2003, 11:49 PM
Post #17

Group:
Member No.: 0

what kind of tire pressures you using? I'm gonna take my car to the track soon, and i Have the same tire/wheel setup.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
914Timo
post May 27 2003, 12:25 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 137
Region Association: Europe

Chris,

I am sorry to hear about your friend.

One thing in your story, which was very nice, made me wonder. First you said Otto was about +2 sec faster than you (!!!) Then you said your car would be competitive if laptimes are 1 - 1.5 sec better. Doesnt that mean that Otto would be VERY competive even now with your car and if you can make it faster, nobody could beat Otto ?? Sound like your car have a lot potential and Otto must be a hell kind of driver.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Do you have any laptimes with four you could compare now the times with six ? I just wonder how much faster sixs really are.

Keep on good work and dont hesitate to tell us about it. I think I am not the only one who loves to read about it.
+Quote Post
brant
post May 27 2003, 08:59 AM
Post #19

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47

Chris,

thanks for posting all of the info. I wish I was driving, but since I don't have a running car I really appreciate your posts.

I wanted to ask you if you knew your car's current weight (with the 6 in there) Perhaps from corner balancing it.

brant
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post May 27 2003, 12:52 PM
Post #20

I can't Re Member

Timo - Yep, Otto (John Williamson) wins these POC events every time (in his own car), usually by 3+ seconds. (More than 10 seconds compared to me, but he is in a much higher class). He has been racing since the 60's...there's no replacement for displacement...or seat time...he has both

L8apex - I run the Hoosiers at 40psi hot, which is a pretty common suggested pressure. I haven't used them long enough to fine-tune the pressures. This was actually just my 2nd weekend on Hoosiers (ever). I never did figure out what the Kumhos liked best, but it seemed to be slightly lower, like 36 hot.

Brant - I don't have the current weight, but I need to find out so I can see how much more I can lighten the car. It had a quickie alignment Friday but I don't know if it went onto the scales.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:54 AM