Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 914World Classifieds Rules

We've established the following rules to help make your sales/purchases as successful as possible!
- Please List WTB:, FS:, TRADE: etc (want to buy, for sale, and trade respectively) before your add title.
- You *must* put a price in your ad and state how you would like payment!
- If you'd like to bump your ads, feel free to do so every two days.
- DO NOT MAKE YOUR ADS IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS! It's considered rude.
- All eBay ads belong in the eBay category.
- Please consolidate your ads into one big lump... listings and pictures together in one thread. Please be considerate of other classified users!!
- Mark your items "SOLD" once you sell them. Please do not ask to have ads removed. Ads will automatically hide themselves after 30 days. We also ask that you leave your pricing in the ads to help others determine fair market value for future sales.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> FS: short geared 901 side shift transmission, A,F,KA,R,Z gears
naro914
post Nov 19 2013, 05:46 PM
Post #1

Losing my mind...

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,073
Region Association: South East States

Hi all,
It's time to start selling some of the things I will never use...like all the transmissions we have. Whenever we get Papa Smurf back on the track, we have a 915 transmission waiting for it, so no need to keep the spare 901's we have.

So, first up is one that has a shorter gear stack - as noted in the title A, F, KA, R, Z.

For those of you that don't know, you can flip the stock 3rd (N) and 5th (ZD) gears and get the KA and Z. But it's the 4th gear - R - that you have to buy...ever try buying one? New, they are anywhere from $700-$850 just for the gear!!

This transmission is GREAT for low to medium HP cars - you really notice that your in a better power band when pulling out of a turn. Besides...how may of you run 5th to redline anyway??

What I can tell you about it is this: I got it with a car I bought years ago and had John Forbes of Black Forest Racing go through it. Everything was fine, I ran it in Huey for a couple months, since then it's been sitting on the shelf.

So, I'll sell it for the cost of 4th gear alone - $750.

I REALLY don't want to ship this, so local pick up/southeast buyer only. I could take a picture, but I assume you all know what a transmission looks like? if needed...I'll get one later this week...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sixaddict
post Nov 19 2013, 08:11 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 9,961

So assume this is not LSD (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

QUOTE(naro914 @ Nov 19 2013, 03:46 PM) *

Hi all,
It's time to start selling some of the things I will never use...like all the transmissions we have. Whenever we get Papa Smurf back on the track, we have a 915 transmission waiting for it, so no need to keep the spare 901's we have.

So, first up is one that has a shorter gear stack - as noted in the title A, F, KA, R, Z.

For those of you that don't know, you can flip the stock 3rd (N) and 5th (ZD) gears and get the KA and Z. But it's the 4th gear - R - that you have to buy...ever try buying one? New, they are anywhere from $700-$850 just for the gear!!

This transmission is GREAT for low to medium HP cars - you really notice that your in a better power band when pulling out of a turn. Besides...how may of you run 5th to redline anyway??

What I can tell you about it is this: I got it with a car I bought years ago and had John Forbes of Black Forest Racing go through it. Everything was fine, I ran it in Huey for a couple months, since then it's been sitting on the shelf.

So, I'll sell it for the cost of 4th gear alone - $750.

I REALLY don't want to ship this, so local pick up/southeast buyer only. I could take a picture, but I assume you all know what a transmission looks like? if needed...I'll get one later this week...
+Quote Post
naro914
post Nov 19 2013, 09:36 PM
Post #3

Losing my mind...

You are correct. That one will be for sale at a later date.... For a bit more $$$ (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
naro914
post Nov 20 2013, 04:52 AM
Post #4

Losing my mind...

I got a good question about gear ratios from someone so I thought I would post the answer here too:

Stock gear ratios are as follows:
A=3.09:1
F=1.89:1
N=1.26:1
V=0.93:1
ZD=0.71:1

For acceleration purposes, you want higher ratios.

In this transmission, ratios are:
A=3.09:1
F=1.89:1
KA=1.41:1
R=1.08:1
Z=0.79:1

What you see when driving is about 300-500 rpm higher at any given speed, especially in 3rd and 4th, so it allows the engine to be better into the torque/power band.
Here are a few charts to show you. Pick a MPH and you can see the RPM you're at and the differences between stock and 'modified'.
For example: pick 50 mph. In a stock trans, you'll be running right around 4000 rpm in 3rd gear. With this modified gear set, you'll be at about 4500 in 3rd.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
racerbvd
post Nov 20 2013, 07:17 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 226
Region Association: None

How would that work for a 2.1 Type IV engine (one of Jay of RPM builds._
+Quote Post
naro914
post Nov 21 2013, 06:48 AM
Post #6

Losing my mind...

Byron, I think it would work quite well.
+Quote Post
naro914
post Nov 25 2013, 08:32 PM
Post #7

Losing my mind...

still available...
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Nov 25 2013, 09:41 PM
Post #8

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(naro914 @ Nov 19 2013, 07:36 PM) *

You are correct. That one will be for sale at a later date.... For a bit more $$$ (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I will be interested in a race-prepped LSD box...
+Quote Post
naro914
post Nov 29 2013, 06:53 AM
Post #9

Losing my mind...

If anyone is going to Roebling Road next weekend, I can have it brought there for you to pick up.
+Quote Post
naro914
post Dec 10 2013, 05:12 PM
Post #10

Losing my mind...

Sale Pending...
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 02:55 AM