Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Piston oil squirters for a /4...anyone have them?
McMark
post Oct 26 2014, 12:29 PM
Post #21

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

Here's that mod.

The real Porsche squirters have a ball check valve inside. This closes the squirters at idle and maintains oil pressure. IMHO there is no other option.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
McMark
post Oct 26 2014, 12:31 PM
Post #22

914 Freak!

Check valve opens around 20psi.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Oct 26 2014, 06:23 PM
Post #23

Custom Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 26 2014, 02:31 PM) *

Check valve opens around 20psi.

Umm, not always (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

So a friend came over today to try and get some squirters functioning, seems they get clogged or just stop opening...
Looks like a tough thing to fix, it's drilled in, then it looks like the squirters are peeled over in the 911 case....

I wonder, are there any threaded ones out there?

Mark, thanks for that pic, please document this mod, I will be doing it when I pull the motor apart this winter.....cause I just can't leave it alone, and I need to change out the camshaft.....so while I am in there, this seems like a very good idea to help out.

Rich
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Oct 26 2014, 06:42 PM
Post #24

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

I've cut notches in rods, I'd say it likely slings rather than squirts, but oil pressure has always been fine and I'm guessing it helps.

I've also replaced 911 squirters, it not a hard job at all, just on the wallet, those puppies are about $50 ea IIRC. Make sure you test them first they are likely fine. They can stick open or closed, seafoam or MEK will often free them up. Careful with MEK if you use it, nasty stuff.

I don't really like the squriter in rod mod, I wouldn't do it.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Oct 26 2014, 07:04 PM
Post #25

914 Freak!

911 squirters are often replaced as a peace-of-mind repair. AFAIK, the factory installed 911 squirters are pressed in from the bearing side so removal is just a matter or tapping them back out. The quick retrofit version is to dril from the case register, tap them in and peen them over. But you should be able to tap them out with a rod inserted from the bearing side of the hole.

I'll be doing it the factory way which leaves a little seat material to keep the squirters from popping out.
+Quote Post
JimN73
post Oct 26 2014, 07:08 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 8,192
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Somebody, Nate (aircoledtechguy), posted a photo of this. Maybe he can repost.
+Quote Post
wndsnd
post Oct 26 2014, 07:21 PM
Post #27

You wanted a horse, but got a goat. Nobody wants a goat....

Member No.: 14,124

QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 26 2014, 09:04 PM) *

911 squirters are often replaced as a peace-of-mind repair. AFAIK, the factory installed 911 squirters are pressed in from the bearing side so removal is just a matter or tapping them back out. The quick retrofit version is to dril from the case register, tap them in and peen them over. But you should be able to tap them out with a rod inserted from the bearing side of the hole.

I'll be doing it the factory way which leaves a little seat material to keep the squirters from popping out.

Not sure about this Mark, from the bearing side these are probably over 2" down their bore.
I would say the factory pressed in from the cylinder side and gave them a peen for good measure.

John
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Oct 27 2014, 04:04 AM
Post #28

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(wndsnd @ Oct 26 2014, 09:21 PM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 26 2014, 09:04 PM) *

Not sure about this Mark, from the bearing side these are probably over 2" down their bore.
I would say the factory pressed in from the cylinder side and gave them a peen for good measure.

John

The one case half it's impossible to go from the backside and the passages don't go from the bearings, the case half stud holes doubles as oil galleys, that's where they are fed from.
They are barely pressed in if at all, the peen does it all. You just drill the peens off and jam a screw in and a small slide hammer then pop it out easy-peasy. Drop the new one in and three new peens lock it in.

BUT if they are working fine I see absolutely no reason to replace them, other than to waste money.
Also you can easily test them to see if they are working proper.
BTDT
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Oct 27 2014, 06:55 AM
Post #29

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 26 2014, 10:58 AM) *

I've never seen the rod notch in person and I'm doubtful it's effective at squirting.

It's detailed in a VW tech bulletin, one (of several) that also recommend elimination of the aluminum/copper head gaskets. A copy here; http://www.ratwell.com/mirror/www.dolphins...m/techbull.html

I don't know why they wouldn't work. Pretty straightforward, cheap, easy to do, won't clog, shouldn't affect oil pressure and they'll be slinging oil as long as you have it. Nothing really to lose, I don't see a down side.

It's neat to see these old threads come up again with names that haven't been around for a while. Like old friends showing up.

+Quote Post
McMark
post Oct 27 2014, 10:10 AM
Post #30

914 Freak!

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Oct 27 2014, 05:55 AM) *

I don't know why they wouldn't work. Pretty straightforward, cheap, easy to do, won't clog, shouldn't affect oil pressure and they'll be slinging oil as long as you have it. Nothing really to lose, I don't see a down side.

Oil pressure is based on a certain amount of restriction in the system. The more restriction, the higher the oil pressure. And the opposite is true. So if you notch your rods, you're adding a drain to the system and it will lower oil pressure somewhat. BUT if VW recommended it, there is a certain amount of confidence about doing the mod.

But my armchair-engineering makes me think that a V notch in the rod isn't an effective 'squirter' since I don't see how it could squirt. It'll throw more oil at the piston in a sloppy, brute-force manner.

I think a true squirter, aimed correctly and which shuts itself off when oil pressure is low is a much better approach.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Oct 27 2014, 10:28 AM
Post #31

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121

"Better", of course! But is the notch "good enough"? Is it an improvement over no notch? I'm guessing it is at least an improvement...

--DD
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Oct 27 2014, 01:27 PM
Post #32

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618

Yeah, it would be great to know VW's engineering data, but I can't see that it would lower oil pressure all that much. It's a 'v' notch, with the outlet to the rod side clearance way down at the point of the 'v', so it's actually pretty small. By the time the oil gets there it's already past the bearing shell and escaping anyway, so it seems like this is mostly just providing one point as an outlet instead of the whole circumference of the journal, so oil that before was flung out randomly is now kind of concentrated on the back of the piston. "kind of" concentrated, so definitely not as precise as squirter nozzles, but not bad in terms of bang for the buck.

+Quote Post
rudedude
post Oct 27 2014, 01:56 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 3,387
Region Association: Upper MidWest

They might be great until your 6 cylinder isn't at quite the oil pressure it use to be and you drain the oil and find most of a squirter laying in the bottom of the case. Now time for a total teardown and rebuild for that peened in squirter that porsche couldn't quite peen well enough to hold in.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Oct 27 2014, 02:57 PM
Post #34

Custom Member

Seems doing this modification to the big end might just be easier and well, easier.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7wuNuuEoN7Y
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Oct 27 2014, 03:01 PM
Post #35

Custom Member

Interesting
Carrillo Rods do this modification also

http://www.cp-carrillo.com/tech/rodtech/ta...76/default.aspx
+Quote Post
McMark
post Oct 27 2014, 10:54 PM
Post #36

914 Freak!

Took a look at a spare case today. Looks like a pretty straightforward mod. Now to order a set and do a mockup install. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sunglasses.gif)
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Oct 28 2014, 06:12 AM
Post #37

Custom Member

From what I read, it is not straight...

A slight angle from the seat to the squirters to get it aimed correctly.

Please take a few pics of how you machine it.....looks like a hairy thing to drill
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Oct 28 2014, 07:05 AM
Post #38

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

Notching the rods is simple and effective.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Oct 28 2014, 10:30 AM
Post #39

The Aircooledtech Guy

Member No.: 9,730
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Oct 28 2014, 06:05 AM) *

Notching the rods is simple and effective.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Takes about 2 minutes per rod with a fine triangle file.

Attached Image

Oil is lazy just like air and will take the path of least resistance. Give it a pathway and you'll have a cheap and effective stream of oil at the base of your piston. Basically you're funneling the oil that would otherwise splash off the rod from the rod bearing and directing a portion of that splash where you want it at the piston crown.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Oct 28 2014, 06:05 PM
Post #40

Custom Member

One of the things I saw, which I can't seem to find again, showed a notch on both sides, offset to spray in different directions.
So instead of the notch being at 6 o'clock, it was at 7 on one side and 5 on the other side....so it would spray both ways.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 05:38 PM