Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Head Breather, Reasons?
Rhodes71/914
post Dec 27 2004, 09:48 PM
Post #1

Glacier

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,482

It was recently brought to my attention that while I have my engine partially dis-assembled that I should put some breather lines into the heads.

Did a search, read some info but looking for more of course (aren't we all)

Just like to know the reason for doing this and also what different set ups ya have. Do ya like the valve cover option or drilling and tapping the boss in the head?

What size fittings are ya using.

TIA
Sean
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
McMark
post Dec 28 2004, 03:22 AM
Post #2

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

Main reason: it stops the valve cover gaskets from getting sucked in and causing oil leakage.

Drilling the head bosses is preferred because if they're in the valve covers you have to unhook the tubing each time you check the valves and you also have a routing issue if you don't use the built in bosses.

Bosses are the winner! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Dec 28 2004, 09:54 AM
Post #3

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696
Region Association: None

Even with the best engine, combustion gasses pass by the rings, creating internal pressure in the crankcase. Combine this with a whirling crankshaft assembly, creating a small hurricane and the oil will froth and droplets are carried everywhere and WILL find a way out of the engine..whether it be the front or rear main seal, pushrod tube seals or valve cover gaskets or ??????

Secondly, in my dim memory, I remember something about high internal pressure being able to effect oil ring sealing too!

Solution....the old road draft tube, PCV valve, breather ports..even the drag racers used to try to pull negative pressure on the crankcase by intalling a one way valve in the exhaust system (at an angle) to have the rapid flow of exhaust gasses create a vaccum on the breather ports of an engine.
+Quote Post
Rhodes71/914
post Feb 20 2005, 02:45 PM
Post #4

Glacier

Since this was brought up in another thread today I thought I would just add to this one already started.

Since I had to pull the heads from my engine I will be putting these breathers in.

My question is in regards to what to run the hoses to. Through my searched I see the carb guys use a little breather box, but found nothing for FI. Could you do this and just plug the hole in the plenum that the oil filler breather goes to?

What size are you using for the fitting in the head? Maybe the same size as the Oil filler breather line?
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Feb 20 2005, 02:57 PM
Post #5

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE (SLITS @ Dec 28 2004, 07:54 AM)
Even with the best engine, combustion gasses pass by the rings, creating internal pressure in the crankcase.

correct, but the heads actually *suck* at higer rpms. like mark said, the problem with the heads is that the gasket gets *sucked in* and then you got yourself a leak.

the head vents need to be routed together with the oil-filler neck vent.
on the stock setup they will all simply go to the air-cleaner.

on a carb setup, your best bet is installing a breather box ...

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/cool.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Feb 20 2005, 02:59 PM
Post #6

Resident German

QUOTE (Rhodes71/914 @ Feb 20 2005, 12:45 PM)
Could you do this and just plug the hole in the plenum that the oil filler breather goes to?

only if you want your engine to explode ...

on a stock FI setup, run the vent hose from the oil-filler to the air cleaner. this is where your engine reliefs internal pressure. *do not plug* this!

second, run a hose from each head-vent, join them with a "Y" and them run that into the air-cleaner as well.

+Quote Post
MecGen
post Feb 20 2005, 03:05 PM
Post #7

8 Easy Steps

Member No.: 3,421

Hi
Mine is set up with two hoses coming from the heads to a manifold that I made with copper tubing, painted black, also connected to the oil fill neck. no pcv. This all goes to a downdraft pipe, that passes thru the tin, and cut off in a angle 45, supposed to help with the flow. A breather box was my first option that I'd tryed, but for the life of me, I can't remember why it did not work, been running the downdraft for 12 years.
WBR
Joe

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smash.gif)
+Quote Post
Rhodes71/914
post Feb 20 2005, 03:05 PM
Post #8

Glacier

QUOTE (SirAndy @ Feb 20 2005, 12:59 PM)

on a stock FI setup, run the vent hose from the oil-filler to the air cleaner. this is where your engine reliefs internal pressure. *do not plug* this!

OK but the original routing of the oil filler breather is to the plenum on my 2.0.

So if I run that to the air filter I have a connection at the plenum that has no hose, so it should be plugged, correct (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif)

+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Feb 20 2005, 03:09 PM
Post #9

Resident German

QUOTE (Rhodes71/914 @ Feb 20 2005, 01:05 PM)
So if I run that to the air filter I have a connection at the plenum that has no hose, so it should be plugged, correct (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif)

nope, sorry, there are 2 different setups used on the 914.

on one setup the oil-filler neck vent goes to the air-filter, on the second setup it goes to the plenum.

if yours goes to the plenum, leave it there. that means you have a PCV in your oil-filler. on engines without PCV, that line goes to the air-filter.

soooo, all you need to do is to join the 2 head-vents with a Y and route them to one of the air-cleaner ports ...
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
Rhodes71/914
post Feb 20 2005, 03:25 PM
Post #10

Glacier

QUOTE (SirAndy @ Feb 20 2005, 01:09 PM)

if yours goes to the plenum, leave it there. that means you have a PCV in your oil-filler. on engines without PCV, that line goes to the air-filter.

Well here is my problem, the oil filler I have does not have a PCV Valve. Is it built into the filler, because I can't seem to find one that is separate. Do I have to have this or do I have another option?
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Feb 20 2005, 03:59 PM
Post #11

Resident German

QUOTE (Rhodes71/914 @ Feb 20 2005, 01:25 PM)
Well here is my problem, the oil filler I have does not have a PCV Valve. Is it built into the filler, because I can't seem to find one that is separate. Do I have to have this or do I have another option?

the PCV is inside the filler neck. if your filler doesn't have a PCV and you hook it up to the plenum, you'll hear a very loud noise as the vacuum of the plenum is sucking air out of the filler. that's a easy way to check if your filler has a PCV. if you hook it up to the plenum and it doesn't scream, you've got a PCV in there.
if it screams (no PCV), connect it to the air-filter instead and plug the plenum port ...

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
Allan
post Feb 20 2005, 04:27 PM
Post #12

Teenerless Weenie

Member No.: 2,304
Region Association: Southern California

I was looking at some older threads regarding this and found this one that seems to add some confusion to this.

Vent
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Feb 20 2005, 05:07 PM
Post #13

Resident German

QUOTE (Headrage @ Feb 20 2005, 02:27 PM)
and found this one that seems to add some confusion to this.

yes, that was before i figured out how all this works ... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

some engines didn't have the head-vents, like my old 1.8L
it only had the filler neck vent, with *no* PCV, and the breather hose went straight to the air-cleaner.
that setup worked just fine.

but since then, i have learned that the additional venting on the heads helps keeping your engine pressurized correctly ...

+Quote Post
MarkG
post Feb 21 2005, 11:34 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 2,102

QUOTE (SirAndy @ Feb 20 2005, 03:07 PM)
QUOTE (Headrage @ Feb 20 2005, 02:27 PM)
and found this one that seems to add some confusion to this.

yes, that was before i figured out how all this works ... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

some engines didn't have the head-vents, like my old 1.8L
it only had the filler neck vent, with *no* PCV, and the breather hose went straight to the air-cleaner.
that setup worked just fine.

but since then, i have learned that the additional venting on the heads helps keeping your engine pressurized correctly ...

So if I understand correctly, on my '76 2.0 D-jet, which has the oil filer/no PCV to air cleaner setup, I would still gain some bennefit by adding head vents? (will be removing air injection......).
+Quote Post
davep
post Feb 21 2005, 11:45 AM
Post #15

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

I think only the 1.8 engine did not have head vents. That engine, with stock FI, needed to be a sealed system, and would not run properly with leaking O-rings on the oil filler. All the air that 'can' enter the internals of the engine needs to have filtered air.
+Quote Post
Brando
post Feb 21 2005, 11:54 AM
Post #16

BUY MY SPARE KIDNEY!!!

Member No.: 2,648
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE (davep @ Feb 21 2005, 09:45 AM)
I think only the 1.8 engine did not have head vents. That engine, with stock FI, needed to be a sealed system, and would not run properly with leaking O-rings on the oil filler. All the air that 'can' enter the internals of the engine needs to have filtered air.

I believe you're right. with the AFM/AFC setup the whole crank is under vacuum right before the plenum on the intake. Any leaks and it will not run right due to unmetered air in the system.

You could go with head-breathers. Run them into a filter box, then to a 'T' fitting between the oil filler neck and the intake boot. Not sure what the benefit would be since the case is already under vacuum.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 02:32 PM