Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Water Cooled Question, Fan sequencing / works great!
andys
post Dec 9 2013, 01:21 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 721
Region Association: None

QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Dec 6 2013, 02:58 PM) *

I would turn the two speed on first at low speed and then when the temp increased switch it to high speed with the second fan.
On my car I turn on both fans at half speed at 190 degrees and if the temp gets to 200 degrees both fans go to full speed.
This is easy to do using 3 relays. Slow speed is the fans wired in series and then put them in parallel for full speed.

Bob,

I've got three different schematics of this setup, but this is the best I've seen. Yeah, I love the low/high speed function, but oddly enough, it stopped working. My manual fan low/high over ride switches work, so the PCM signal is somehow not getting sent. Time to do some troubleshooting! I'm thinking GM coolant temp sensor failure? I'd like to test it; would you happen to know the resistance values to look for? (slight hijack)

Thanks,

Andys
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post Dec 9 2013, 01:45 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 194
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(andys @ Dec 9 2013, 02:21 PM) *

QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Dec 6 2013, 02:58 PM) *

I would turn the two speed on first at low speed and then when the temp increased switch it to high speed with the second fan.
On my car I turn on both fans at half speed at 190 degrees and if the temp gets to 200 degrees both fans go to full speed.
This is easy to do using 3 relays. Slow speed is the fans wired in series and then put them in parallel for full speed.

Bob,

I've got three different schematics of this setup, but this is the best I've seen. Yeah, I love the low/high speed function, but oddly enough, it stopped working. My manual fan low/high over ride switches work, so the PCM signal is somehow not getting sent. Time to do some troubleshooting! I'm thinking GM coolant temp sensor failure? I'd like to test it; would you happen to know the resistance values to look for? (slight hijack)

Thanks,

Andys

The GM LS1 sensor (thermistor) is 29k ohms at -20 degress C and 180 ohms at 100 degress C.
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Dec 9 2013, 07:12 PM
Post #23

:: Punch and Pie ::

Member No.: 3,342
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I'm having one hell of a time locating a radiator anything close to the one you have. I started thinking about a compact sized radiator, and that took me to looking at two smaller radiators. I think the Boxster does something like that too.

What do people think about using two smaller motorcycle or quad radiators.

I could mount two of these, and put the Intercooler radiator in between them...all up front without taking up too much room.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
76-914
post Dec 9 2013, 07:27 PM
Post #24

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Mike & Tom, Thanks for explaining things to me. Now I get it. Bob tried to tell me but I was too damn stupid to get it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif) He must think that I know what I'm doing. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) Bob, if your still following, were those MegaSquirt pin numbers that you show in that print?
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post Dec 9 2013, 07:34 PM
Post #25

QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 9 2013, 08:27 PM) *

Mike & Tom, Thanks for explaining things to me. Now I get it. Bob tried to tell me but I was too damn stupid to get it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif) He must think that I know what I'm doing. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) Bob, if your still following, were those MegaSquirt pin numbers that you show in that print?

Didn't mean to confuse you those are LS1 ecu pin numbers. I have two radiators set up like this one in the subaru car. Using two outputs out of the megasquirt to control the fans. The other one is the LS1 car and they are controlled with the stock ECU.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif) Bob
+Quote Post
76-914
post Dec 9 2013, 07:44 PM
Post #26

Spoke too soon. I see relay 2 powering Fan #1 @ high speed. I don't understand the "path" it takes to run Fan #2 on high. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif) Sorry I'm so thick about this.

EDIT: Nevermind. I went back and read where Tom confirmed that both circuits are energized at the same time. God I hope I remember this tomorrow after I've slept.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Dec 9 2013, 08:02 PM
Post #27

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

QUOTE(CptTripps @ Dec 9 2013, 05:12 PM) *

I'm having one hell of a time locating a radiator anything close to the one you have. I started thinking about a compact sized radiator, and that took me to looking at two smaller radiators. I think the Boxster does something like that too.

I could mount two of these, and put the Intercooler radiator in between them...all up front without taking up too much room.

Horse Power equals heat. You need to be able to dissipate the heat. Most motorcycles make less than 100hp, so you would in theory need 4 radiators rated for 100hp to cool 400hp. It doesn't really work that way since it's not a linear equation.

Things to consider:

1) Surface area - larger surface area will have better heat transfer. Small radiators look cool but may not be cool.

2) Water flow - too much or too little water flow will reduce heat transfer.

3) Air flow - radiator must be sealed with a shroud to prevent air flow around the radiator. Air will follow the path of least resistance.

4) Confection - To create a low pressure area behind the radiator to promote air flow. Most of us accomplish this by having a larger outlet for air and a smaller inlet in the bumper. This creates a high pressure zone in front of the radiator.

5) Fans - fans must pull air through the radiator. Never push through.

6) Surface tension - Increasing the surface tension of the water can promote better heat transfer. This is accomplished by using a product like "Water Wetter" or "Purple Ice"

7) Tuning - an improperly tuned engine can create additional heat.

+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post Dec 10 2013, 05:49 AM
Post #28

QUOTE(CptTripps @ Dec 9 2013, 08:12 PM) *

Here's a couple for you. These are used on a 993 LS1 conversion.
Attached Image
Attached Image

Bob
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Dec 10 2013, 10:07 AM
Post #29

That got me thinking...what about the front radiator for a Boxster instead of the side radiators? (It has 3, right?)

something like this one.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/...7-106-037-02-M6

Looks like it's small enough to fit down low. With 2 fans exhausting out the wheel-wells in a fiberglass/aluminium tunnel?
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Dec 10 2013, 10:27 AM
Post #30

Resident Electrician

QUOTE(CptTripps @ Dec 10 2013, 08:07 AM) *

That got me thinking...what about the front radiator for a Boxster instead of the side radiators? (It has 3, right?)

something like this one.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/...7-106-037-02-M6

Looks like it's small enough to fit down low. With 2 fans exhausting out the wheel-wells in a fiberglass/aluminium tunnel?

The center radiator was added to supplement the side radiators. I doubt if it has enough Delta T to be used by itself.
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Dec 10 2013, 12:35 PM
Post #31

YeH, that's what I'm thinking too. Looks a little small for what I'd need it for.

Back to the drawing board.
+Quote Post
skeates
post Dec 10 2013, 01:08 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 3,684
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Dec 9 2013, 06:02 PM) *

QUOTE(CptTripps @ Dec 9 2013, 05:12 PM) *

Horse Power equals heat. You need to be able to dissipate the heat. Most motorcycles make less than 100hp, so you would in theory need 4 radiators rated for 100hp to cool 400hp. It doesn't really work that way since it's not a linear equation.

Things to consider:

1) Surface area - larger surface area will have better heat transfer. Small radiators look cool but may not be cool.

2) Water flow - too much or too little water flow will reduce heat transfer.

3) Air flow - radiator must be sealed with a shroud to prevent air flow around the radiator. Air will follow the path of least resistance.

4) Confection - To create a low pressure area behind the radiator to promote air flow. Most of us accomplish this by having a larger outlet for air and a smaller inlet in the bumper. This creates a high pressure zone in front of the radiator.

5) Fans - fans must pull air through the radiator. Never push through.

6) Surface tension - Increasing the surface tension of the water can promote better heat transfer. This is accomplished by using a product like "Water Wetter" or "Purple Ice"

7) Tuning - an improperly tuned engine can create additional heat.

A little "confection" goes a long way in many baking recipes, but I'm pretty sure that it's "convection" that facilitates the heat transfer between the radiator and the air (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

As long as you are matching HP figures on the radiators you will be safe (and in my opinion fairly conservative). One thing to keep in mind is that in our radiator set-ups we don't have a massive mass of metal inches behind the radiators. In fact, we have fairly un-obstructed paths for the air flow (particularly if you are ducting or venting through the hood) which dramatically increases the air flow rates and therefore capacity of the radiators.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Dec 10 2013, 07:39 PM
Post #33

Resident Electrician

QUOTE(skeates @ Dec 10 2013, 11:08 AM) *

A little "confection" goes a long way in many baking recipes, but I'm pretty sure that it's "convection" that facilitates the heat transfer between the radiator and the air (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

Stupid spell check... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

+Quote Post
76-914
post Dec 12 2013, 10:12 PM
Post #34

Got my fans & relays wired in tonite (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) I'm happier than a 3 petered Billy Goat. It works great (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Thanks for all the help from everyone and thanks for that most excellent schematic, Bob.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Aug 25 2014, 11:22 AM
Post #35

Member No.: 73

Gotta bump this great thread...Just a quick question...

Just ordered my 5 pin relays (the SVX stock ones are 4 pin), just trying to understand this diagram. I decided not to use the SVX fans since they are huge and when I started my car and let it run for 10 minutes and it didn't even come up to temp so I'm thinking that's overkill.

My new fans only have two wires (stock ones had 4). Assuming one is power and one is ground. On the diagram it's showing that I only ground ONE of the fans directly and then ground relay 3, which the second fan is connected to. Is that correct?

reposting the diagram:

Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
76-914
post Aug 25 2014, 05:20 PM
Post #36

Es verdad, Christo. Looks funny but think of stacking 2 D cell batts. 6v or 12v depending upon whether the are in series or parallel.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Aug 25 2014, 05:22 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 73

Cool thanks Kent! Just seemed weird not grounding the second fan directly.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
76-914
post Sep 1 2014, 10:06 AM
Post #38

Thought I'd add this bit of info re: this style system. Last week I noticed that my fans were working on low but when switched to high (yeah, I was chasing a cooling issue) it dropped to Fan #2, only. Following the chart I was able to determine that relay F, in my case, (relay 3 in the diagram) was at fault. I was quite proud of my diagnostic abilities and proceeded to remove said relay to bench test and verify what I knew to be the problem. But the relay tested good. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) If it had been a snake it would have bitten me. And it's not like I didn't know it was there; I built the damned thing. I just forgot they were there. The fuses are now labeled for my benefit in case I blow another one. So if this one blows I get the above described scenario, however if the other one blew I think none of the fans would operate but you might want to double check me on that one. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
messix
post Sep 1 2014, 10:54 AM
Post #39

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada
Member No.: 3,931
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(76-914 @ Sep 1 2014, 09:06 AM) *

Thought I'd add this bit of info re: this style system. Last week I noticed that my fans were working on low but when switched to high (yeah, I was chasing a cooling issue) it dropped to Fan #2, only. Following the chart I was able to determine that relay F, in my case, (relay 3 in the diagram) was at fault. I was quite proud of my diagnostic abilities and proceeded to remove said relay to bench test and verify what I knew to be the problem. But the relay tested good. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) If it had been a snake it would have bitten me. And it's not like I didn't know it was there; I built the damned thing. I just forgot they were there. The fuses are now labeled for my benefit in case I blow another one. So if this one blows I get the above described scenario, however if the other one blew I think none of the fans would operate but you might want to double check me on that one. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached Image

you are correct.

I think if I built that circuit I would have activated the high speed on relay #2 from the 87 pole on relay #3. if the relay switching speed is not the same it would "buck" power.

so to do so you would run 2 wires off the 87 pole on relay #3, one to the fan and the other to the relay#2 at pole #85. only one high speed wire from the harness.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 07:26 AM