Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Starting rust repair
last337
post May 5 2014, 08:43 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,221
Region Association: None

Rust repair is beginning again. I have been practicing my MIG welding and am feeling more comfortable moving forward now.

I realized that I didnt have enough measurement prior to taking doors off and making first couple of cuts so I put the doors back just to make sure nothing has moved yet with the few cuts I made. Good news is that the gaps all look good still so I take a number of measurements and then put my braces back in place.

Time to start cutting again! I was wondering what type/gauge steel you guys are using for fabbing up small pieces of the frame in places where I wouldnt want to buy the whole stamped out piece from restoration design? I will most likely have to buy the inner wheelhouse, inner rocker panel kit, and the rear floor pan but there are spots where I just need to fabricate small pieces to connect everything together.

I will update more pics as a starting point this week.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
saigon71
post May 5 2014, 07:44 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,428
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(last337 @ May 5 2014, 10:43 AM) *

Rust repair is beginning again. I have been practicing my MIG welding and am feeling more comfortable moving forward now.

I realized that I didnt have enough measurement prior to taking doors off and making first couple of cuts so I put the doors back just to make sure nothing has moved yet with the few cuts I made. Good news is that the gaps all look good still so I take a number of measurements and then put my braces back in place.

Time to start cutting again! I was wondering what type/gauge steel you guys are using for fabbing up small pieces of the frame in places where I wouldnt want to buy the whole stamped out piece from restoration design? I will most likely have to buy the inner wheelhouse, inner rocker panel kit, and the rear floor pan but there are spots where I just need to fabricate small pieces to connect everything together.

I will update more pics as a starting point this week.

I used 18GA sheet metal for patching the longs. Good luck with your project and keep us posted.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th June 2024 - 05:59 PM