Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Another 914 goes under the knife, UPDATE: IT'S ALIVE....FINALLY
vintage914racer
post Dec 8 2013, 12:36 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,473

Today was a chilling day, both figuratively and literally. You see, I dropped off my 1970 914-6 for some long overdue structural repairs in Northern Minnesota. It was both freakishly cold and a milestone in my 914 ownership.

A little backstory....

Attached Image

Since I was was a kid cars have been a part of my life, particularly 914s. In the early 1980's my father, who was in his early 30's, was diagnosed with cancer and endured months of experimental treatment at the U of M. Miraculously he overcame the odds and entered remission. Upon paying back his medical bills he celebrated by purchase a 1970 914-6.

This particular car brings back many fond memories from my childhood. I remember riding in between my parents in the front seat, urging my dad to go faster. I remember riding in the car as we drove up to Brainerd International Raceway to watch the IMSA Camel GT series run. I remember my school age friends looking at the speedometer in awe, simply blown away that it went up to 180mph. As a kid I affectionately referred to the car as "Speedy."

Long story short, the car fell into my possession many years later following my father's passing and would become a reminder of the great times I spent with him. The car spent the majority of the last 20-years languishing in our garage. It was brought back to life mechanically, but had a number of battle wounds that accumulated both by me as a lackadaisical kid and from corrosion on the non-galvanized body. Knowing that a car does not do wel sitting, I enthusiastically drove it whenever I could. In fact the last couple years I had it on the road I probably average 3k miles per year, which is a lot for a sports car in Minnesota where it snows 6 months out of the year...more on this later.

Deep down I knew that the car suffered from corrosion and I finally faced it head on when I removed the rocker covers just over a year ago. I soon discovered that the car suffered in the usual rust areas. So much that I was no longer comfortable driving it. The passenger side needed an inner and outer long. The drivers side needed an outer panel. I found that the rear half of the floorpan required replacement. Surprisingly, the hell hole was in pretty decent shape.

Despite having some little welding experience under my belt I knew the repairs weren't in my wheelhouse. After consulting the 914world brain trust I quickly learned that that the solution to my problems was just a couple hour drive away. Rick, aka Rick918S, has torn apart a number of 914s and after some back and forth he agreed to tackle the project.

Before hauling the car up north, I pulled the engine and interior. Upon pulling the engine I learned that the car no longer has it's original motor, rather is has one from a 68s. For the record the engine is stamped with 901/02 and serial number 4080519. Makes sense since the car seemed to have more zip than 110hp brings. Once stripped of the engine I loaded it up on my trailer in anticipation of the pilgrimage north.

Attached Image

So, this morning at the crack of dawn I hopped in my truck and made the 2.5 hour trip to Duluth, MN, with the car. Normally a trip to Duluth isn't a big deal, however the weather made it a bit more exciting. Earlier this week we got dumped on by snow. In the Minneapolis metro we got about 8-inches. Duluth got closer to 18-inches. If the snow along wasn't enough, the temperature brought things to a new level. When I left my house in Minneapolis the temperature read -7 degrees. As I got closer to Duluth the thermometer dropped to -19F. Soon thereafter it dropped to -26.

Attached Image

Part of me thought the car would break down and I would become a human popsicle. With inconsistently plowed roads part of me also thought I would careen off the road, but with a stroke of luck I made it to Duluth in one piece.

Rick and I unloaded the car quickly in an effort to escape the cold and rolled the car into his shop.

Attached Image

At present the car sits in good company next to a 1960s Mercedes roadster. Whereas the 914 normally hibernates during winters, this year it will partake in a makeover program. The aforementioned structural elements will get repaired. Concurrently I will be putting the engine on a stand to adjust the valves and replacing gaskets and seals as needed. I'll open the transmission to make sure everything looks good. I plan to replace the sail panel vinyl, carpet, shocks and rechrome the rear bumper. Inevitably, the slop will get more slippery. The goal is to have a stong structural and mechanical foundation come spring. Once complete, I'll drive the car for a few years before tackling the superficial cosmetic blemishes.

Stay tuned for a photo diary of the progress.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
speed metal army
post Dec 8 2013, 12:46 AM
Post #2

Waiting for the rain to stop...

Member No.: 12,137
Region Association: Canada

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Dec 8 2013, 12:49 AM
Post #3

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

Whats that white stuff? '

Rick is a master, you won't be disappointed.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
euro911
post Dec 8 2013, 12:55 AM
Post #4

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-1473-1386484548_thumb.jpg)

Nice story. Nice photo too (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)

You're car is in good hands now (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
gothspeed
post Dec 8 2013, 02:11 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 10,019

QUOTE(euro911 @ Dec 7 2013, 10:55 PM) *

Nice story. Nice photo too (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)

You're car is in good hands now (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

+1 .... That picture looks like it should be in some hard cover glossy page porsche book (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
carr914
post Dec 8 2013, 06:09 AM
Post #6

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623
Region Association: South East States

It's in Good hands with Rick!
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Dec 8 2013, 06:10 AM
Post #7

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871

Beautiful car!
+Quote Post
JawjaPorsche
post Dec 8 2013, 06:24 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,351

So great the 914 stays in the family. Keep us posted on the progress. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
arcadeforever
post Dec 8 2013, 07:20 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 16,568
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

thats a great story and thats one incredible car, your dad would be proud that your doing this!

Please keep us in the loop how it goes.
+Quote Post
bulitt
post Dec 8 2013, 07:43 AM
Post #10

Achtzylinder

Member No.: 13,632

-26 Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Dec 8 2013, 09:12 AM
Post #11

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

This is a great story. But not just a story. Once again our little cars are about more than shiny paint and gas and oil. Ben's car comes with a legacy and a connection to family. I am going to enjoy being involved with the start of a new chapter and future for the car and a continuation of the fond memories this car evokes.

Ben has be gracious enough to allow me to use his car in a video idea I have had for awhile. Many of you have asked about how to go about repairing the chassis of your 914. Or "What the heck did I do ?!?! My door won't shut and my top won't align!"

I'm going to start with evaluation and documentation. A step many never think of and move on from there.

Ben's car will be the first part of the video. I will also include the chassis repair on the 6 Ethan agreed to sell me. This will be a full on chassis repair with the Celette.

So because of the video I will have a slow start with photos of Ben's car but by the end of December and on into the beginning of the new year Ben and I should have some nice photo documentation. My goal is to have the chassis sewn up by the third week in January.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Dec 8 2013, 10:03 AM
Post #12

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

I just love the story and the fact that Ben has entrusted with his family heirloom. He are the right choice having a professional tackle these issues so that once it is fixed he will never have to address those problems again. I have always believed that when building anything, even a car, you need a rock-solid foundation to begin with or you are just throwing money away.

I am really looking forward to seeing the progress this car makes. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
vintage914racer
post Dec 8 2013, 10:11 AM
Post #13

I am very thankful that Rick decided to take on this project and look forward to watching the progress unfold. It is a great car and I look forward to it being structurally sound enough to put back on the road for many more years to come. I now have a two year old, Benjie, and look forward to spending time with him in the car.

Since the car has been in the family for about 30 years we have a lot of the service history. More impressive though is the stack of repair and purchase orders from the previous two owners.

Attached Image

Attached Image

After looking through big stack of documents I can piece together the cars history, beginning in Louisville where it was sold new and then in the early 80's when it traveled north to Minnesota.

Ownership History:

1970: Purchased by a Mr. Mike Losey at Don Corlett Porsche/Audi
1982: Carousel Porsche/Audi in Minneapolis aquires the car
1982: Carousel sells the car to Kevin Kirby of Sioux Falls, SD
1984: The car returns to Carousel and my father purchases it shortly thereafter

I find the Carousel connection pretty neat. My dad initiated a relationship with this dealer upon buying the 914 and maintained a strong relationship with them for his years thereafter. It was through this connection that I got my first real job working there. Any high schoolers dream, they hired me on at the ripe age of 15 as a lot runner. I worked there through high school, college and a couple years out of college concurrently moving from lot runner to service advisor to sales associate. Bottom line, much like Carousel was an important part of the 914s life, it was also a big part of my life.

So, back to the service history... In the file I must have 15 odd repair orders from the cars first 15 years.

Attached Image

Attached Image

It's certainly fun looking back at was done and the incredibly low price charged to do some of the work. Digging through the documents I can see that the car had persistent carb problems. They were rebuilt a number of times and ultimately replaced. There was an engine fire that likely stemmed from fuel issues.

Attached Image

It's also interesting to look back and see problems that still persist. Here are just a few. There is a repair order for a rattle in the passenger door panel. That rattle is still there today. A new dash was added at one point, which explains why the dash looks so nice. The odometer was replaced at 53k miles in 1982. This explains why the current odometer reads in the 18k mile range.

All in all, the comprehensive packet of records really helps to reconstruct the car's history.

This thread will start the documentation of the cars future.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
euro911
post Dec 8 2013, 03:55 PM
Post #14

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

That's cool, having all the service records.

I purchased a '66 912 from a gal that owned the car from new. Her dad bought it for her when she started college. She finished her education and became a successful lawyer. When she became established, she bought a new 911SC, but kept the 912 for several years afterward.

I acquired it in 1988 and it came with a 3/4" thick envelope of service receipts. When I got home, I went though the receipts and found that some parts, like the heads and the carbs, were replaced 10k miles ago. I'm also happy to say, that it is the most rust free early 901 series body car I've ever owned (and still have it) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Looking forward to seeing the repair progress and completion of your car ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Dec 8 2013, 07:02 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104

Very nice story. I look forward to the video and hearing about the rest of the restoration.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Dec 8 2013, 07:45 PM
Post #16

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

Always loved that color, it just looks right on a 914 ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)
+Quote Post
porbmw
post Dec 9 2013, 12:49 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 9,534

Nice car!
Great story!
Hope my son takes custody and care of mine, when I am "not".
Paul
Love the wheels on the car, with that color of paint, nice touch, and different. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
gothspeed
post Dec 10 2013, 12:53 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 10,019

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif) for hopefully more pics of this -6 ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
smj
post Dec 10 2013, 05:57 PM
Post #19

"Dude, Steve from Berkeley."

Member No.: 4,691

I always thought cookie cutters would look good on teeners, and meant to hang on to the ones from my first P-car (early '85 944).

Great story, thanks for sharing it and looking forward to more!
+Quote Post
vintage914racer
post Dec 10 2013, 09:10 PM
Post #20

Thanks, everyone, for the kind words. Since a couple people requested more pictures I must oblige.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post

9 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2024 - 10:50 PM