Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> more heat duct questions
rosenfe
post Dec 8 2013, 01:04 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,512
Region Association: None

on my 73 2liter .so i understand that on the 73 passenger side heat ducts are closed off and only drivers side is used.is this correct.?i have a splitter for blower and have gotten l+r s curve pieces, j tube and flapper boxes-used, from a forum member,but passenger side s duct is larger-is that correct,or are they supposed to be the same size?hard to see it all line up without lift .
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jcd914
post Dec 8 2013, 01:29 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,684
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(rosenfe @ Dec 8 2013, 11:04 AM) *

on my 73 2liter .so i understand that on the 73 passenger side heat ducts are closed off and only drivers side is used.is this correct.?i have a splitter for blower and have gotten l+r s curve pieces, j tube and flapper boxes-used, from a forum member,but passenger side s duct is larger-is that correct,or are they supposed to be the same size?hard to see it all line up without lift .

I have seen some cars that only had the aux fan only hooked up to the drivers side, don't know if the were factory or not. But that was just the aux heater fan, ALL cars had engine blower duct'd to both passenger and driver sides heat exchangers. The "S" curve pieces are different from side to side.

Jim
+Quote Post
rmdinmd
post Dec 8 2013, 01:49 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 16,585
Region Association: South East States

you can get or make a splitter to run air to both sides. I have also seen on pelican where others have added 1) a second blower fan in the engine compartment or 2) gotten a VW heat booster fans and installed that in the cowl section. I am going to try option 2.
+Quote Post
JawjaPorsche
post Dec 8 2013, 01:55 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,351

The 1973 passenger side heat ducts are NOT closed off. The auxiliary blower fan was only for the driver's side.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Dec 8 2013, 02:05 PM
Post #5

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

Jawja is correct--the only thing capped off was the J-tube on the passenger's side; the rest of the plumbing was the same.

The S ducts are slightly different shapes from left to right, because the cylinders on one side are offset from those on the other, meaning the exhaust ports are offset, meaning the heat exchangers are offset, so where the heat exchanger connects to the duct is offset.

--DD
+Quote Post
rosenfe
post Dec 8 2013, 02:28 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Dec 8 2013, 12:05 PM) *

Jawja is correct--the only thing capped off was the J-tube on the passenger's side; the rest of the plumbing was the same.

The S ducts are slightly different shapes from left to right, because the cylinders on one side are offset from those on the other, meaning the exhaust ports are offset, meaning the heat exchangers are offset, so where the heat exchanger connects to the duct is offset.

--DD

thanks for all the info.this is a great forum
+Quote Post
rosenfe
post Dec 8 2013, 02:39 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(rosenfe @ Dec 8 2013, 12:28 PM) *

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Dec 8 2013, 12:05 PM) *

--DD

thanks for all the info.this is a great forum

one more question.are flapper box arms that cable is connected to oriented to ground or to the underside of car?
+Quote Post
rmdinmd
post Dec 8 2013, 02:42 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 16,585

I am sorry if I was less then clear. what I was saying is you could connect the blower to both sides where the down pipes come up through the tins. the blower I got to put in my 74 splits to hook up to both sides.
+Quote Post
rosenfe
post Dec 8 2013, 02:53 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(rmdinmd @ Dec 8 2013, 12:42 PM) *

I am sorry if I was less then clear. what I was saying is you could connect the blower to both sides where the down pipes come up through the tins. the blower I got to put in my 74 splits to hook up to both sides.

i understand about hooking blower up to both sides,i have a splitter for the blower.need to know orientaion of arms that control flapper opening and closing.they can go in with arms on top towards underside of car or towards the ground,which way is correct?
+Quote Post
David_S
post Dec 8 2013, 06:45 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 680
Region Association: Southwest Region

On my 73 1.7 engine that is sitting in my garage floor, the arms are on top (towards the bottom of the car) !!
+Quote Post
rosenfe
post Dec 8 2013, 07:08 PM
Post #11

thanks,now ive got all the pieces and info
+Quote Post
saigon71
post Dec 8 2013, 07:19 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 10,428
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(rosenfe @ Dec 8 2013, 03:53 PM) *

QUOTE(rmdinmd @ Dec 8 2013, 12:42 PM) *

i understand about hooking blower up to both sides,i have a splitter for the blower.need to know orientaion of arms that control flapper opening and closing.they can go in with arms on top towards underside of car or towards the ground,which way is correct?

I am pretty sure I installed my flapper valves with the arms down. Climb under there with one of the flapper boxes and it should make sense when you see how the cable ends are routed.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 01:08 AM