Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Brake Pad Recommendation, Street/HPDE
andys
post Dec 11 2013, 04:32 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 721
Region Association: None

I'm still wanting to get my car to the track to do some suspension adjustments, and get a feel for how the car responds at its limit. I like to use HPDE's as test sessions to set up the car. Just a reminder, my car is an LS1 conversion with '89 Carerra suspension/brakes. That said, I'd like some opinions/recommendations on what pads to run. What I'd prefer, is a pad that's good enough for a bit of track time without too much fading, and serve well on the street without the annoyance of squeal. I'm not opposed to having a street pad and a track pad, but then bedding becomes a problem. Opinions?

Thanks,
Andys
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
brant
post Dec 11 2013, 04:35 PM
Post #2

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

r4s
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Dec 11 2013, 04:47 PM
Post #3

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

QUOTE(andys @ Dec 11 2013, 05:32 PM) *

I'm still wanting to get my car to the track to do some suspension adjustments, and get a feel for how the car responds at its limit. I like to use HPDE's as test sessions to set up the car. Just a reminder, my car is an LS1 conversion with '89 Carerra suspension/brakes. That said, I'd like some opinions/recommendations on what pads to run. What I'd prefer, is a pad that's good enough for a bit of track time without too much fading, and serve well on the street without the annoyance of squeal. I'm not opposed to having a street pad and a track pad, but then bedding becomes a problem. Opinions?

Thanks,
Andys

None of the high performance street pads like high sustained temps.
But the medium temp (800F) track pads will squeal when you approach a stop light on the road.
I would stay away from swapping pads back and forth unless you're prepared to clean the rotors every time you switch.
I guess your usage description points more to a good street pad, as long as you're mindful of their temp limitations on the track and don't run balls out for 30 minutes.
I'd try the KFP 1935 compound we sell for street/AX cars. I know they're quiet and they have a pretty good C/F.
+Quote Post
podiummotorsports
post Dec 11 2013, 05:04 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 15,011
Region Association: Southern California

Having raced for many years and have tried just about everything. I am convinced that Carbotech is the best solution. You would need to call them to get their opinion on what they would suggest for your application but as far as feel, performance and stopping, I don't think you will find a better pad.

http://www.ctbrakes.com/

They will also pre bed them for you.
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Dec 11 2013, 05:10 PM
Post #5

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(brant @ Dec 11 2013, 03:35 PM) *

r4s

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) but, I'd want to know more about a "good amount of track time"

The Porterfield R41 is a vintage race compound that may do the trick.
+Quote Post
andys
post Dec 11 2013, 05:30 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Ok, so I need to elaborate a bit. I'll be running at The Streets of Willow which, depending on the direction they run, only has one serious braking zone where you have to set it down form speed. Otherwise, it's a fairly low speed technical course, though you do use the brakes often. Granted, the LS1 will get the car rolling to speed pretty quick. The HPDE sessions are 20 minutes, so that makes it a bit more brake freindly. Yeah, I've heard R4S are good, but have no experience with them.

Andys
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Dec 11 2013, 05:44 PM
Post #7

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(andys @ Dec 11 2013, 03:30 PM) *
I'll be running at The Streets of Willow which, depending on the direction they run, only has one serious braking zone where you have to set it down form speed.

If you're running clockwise, there's actually two places where you can get some good speed.

One is obviously at the end of the main straight but there's also the back straight after the bowl (turn 8? if i recall correctly).
In my car, i can take 9 pretty much flat out and then have to brake very hard for 10/11 while trying to keep the car straight.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
andys
post Dec 11 2013, 06:11 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 11 2013, 03:44 PM) *

QUOTE(andys @ Dec 11 2013, 03:30 PM) *
I'll be running at The Streets of Willow which, depending on the direction they run, only has one serious braking zone where you have to set it down form speed.

If you're running clockwise, there's actually two places where you can get some good speed.

One is obviously at the end of the main straight but there's also the back straight after the bowl (turn 8? if i recall correctly).
In my car, i can take 9 pretty much flat out and then have to brake very hard for 10/11 while trying to keep the car straight.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

If they run SOW counter clockwise, then you pick up the most speed going down hill on the front straight, then hard braking before the skid-pad turn. CCW is my least favorite direction. Clockwise, you have to really attach the track and get a good rythm going. Been running there since it opened, but never in a 914, so that'll be a new experience.

Andys
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd May 2024 - 08:00 AM