Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> POC Classes, V4 -V5
Zeke
post May 26 2003, 10:12 PM
Post #1

Never left, but not right....

Group: Members
Member No.: 197
Region Association: None

Campbell is a V4. With the recent rule changes (this year), I will be a V3 with a four cyl due to my suspension, brake and gear mods. Plus I have points added for cam, compression and induction (carbs). Drop a stock six in the car and I go back to V4. Go figure that.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
VegasRacer
post May 26 2003, 10:22 PM
Post #2

ELVIRA

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 481

I know what ya mean. It don't seem fair.
When I ran with 'em a few years ago I was V5 only because I had carbs.
I was just a rolling pylon of some of the other cars in that class with my stock 2.0

To try and be competitive you gotta pick one sanctioning body
and build the car according to their rule book.

That's why I like to run with VARA and HSR most of the time now.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post May 26 2003, 10:47 PM
Post #3

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

Milt -- my car was borderline V3 with the big four. POC allows you to run over/under class weight and fine-tune your points that way, which is how I got it into V4. I could have run V5 if I hadn't been planning the -6 conversion imminently. If they ever take away the weight-related points, we'll be screwed...the club's rules are generally not kind to 914's. In V4, I am running against 911's with 2.7 and 3.0 motors and more wheel/tire than me. The way the rules are written, it is almost impossible for a 914-6 to go above 2.2L and not bump into V3 (at least). I think the only way to do it would be to somehow build a larger engine with the same compression ratio and cams as the factory -6 / 2.0T motor. This might get you a low-revving, low-compression 2.5L; whoop-de-doo. I'd rather have a 2.0 or 2.2S.

Also, it could be good or bad depending on your perspective, but V5 and V4 are not very large classes. You would have a LOT of tough competition in V3 though. IMHO that's where the "big money" classes start, and it progressively gets scarier from there.
+Quote Post
Zeke
post May 27 2003, 12:24 AM
Post #4

QUOTE(VegasRacer @ May 26 2003, 08:22 PM)

To try and be competitive you gotta pick one sanctioning body
and build the car according to their rule book.

That's what I was doing. (POC) However, I started the car in nov '01. The rules have changed and I'm losing interest. It's a '73 916 look alike except no GT flares. I do have a 4' tall rear deck spoiler, but I can get rid of that. Everything else is stock appearing except the interior which is full race, i.e., cage, stripped out and gutted dash.

The motor is a mild 2.0 four 2056. Gearbox is short ratio, but not too low for Buttonwillow or the infield course at Fontana. I'm looking at TCRA, HSR and even SCCA when I finish my 1.8L. Any suggestions on who to run with?
+Quote Post
VegasRacer
post May 27 2003, 12:55 AM
Post #5

ELVIRA

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 481

I've never run with TCRA. Sounds like they have a good format (if it works). Similar to what NASA was. Only problem was NASA usually was more of a drivers ed thing. Very few 'real' race cars. A lot of rice.

Check the rule book close on SCCA to see where you might fit in. Some of the tech guys take the job serious. I raced a RX7 with them for several years. Some of the drivers don't seem to mind contact.

I really enjoy HSR (Porsche 2 litre series) and VARA. Fun and safety are the major concerns. They are very strict about NO contact. The tech crew is not known for being rigid on all the mods to your car. I know there are some cars that are bending the rules to win. I have always found enough others to play with and have plenty of fun.

After all, I am in it for the FUN. I enjoy driving the car in a sportsman like manner (while pushing it to the limit). Driving fast is enjoyable. Competition is better.
If I really want a trophy at the end of the year, I'll buy my own for less that what it cost to mount a set of tires and save 10 grand.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post May 27 2003, 06:19 AM
Post #6

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

It used to be that all I heard from West Coast Porsche racers was "POC is great!". Seems to have changed though.
For my money SCCA offers the best package, but you have to be prepared to comply with a large rule book that doesn't distinguish mid-engine cars from the rest. You can go anywhere in the country and the rules will be the same, and you get to test your skills against plenty of non-Porsche competition.
With the 1.8 you could fit into F Production. Any bigger and you will be in Super Production, which is a catch all Regional Only class for cars which comply with the safety requirements, but not all the other rules.
So far, in my experience, National level SCCA racing is quite a challenge. There is a good amount of track time at each event, the competition is fierce, and the races are long enough to be very tiring. Regionals are just a little cheaper, shorter races, less track time, and a little more laid back in general.
+Quote Post
seanery
post May 27 2003, 07:30 AM
Post #7

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

TCRA is a good group of guys, good mix of real race cars and guys testing the water.
Most real race cars are in the Red group, the race group, the blue and green are the time trial groups. Yellow is the student group. I haven't run with them in a while, they have a 2.0 liter Challenge and some other changes, but they are solid on having fun and not touching.

www.touringcarclub.com
+Quote Post
drew365
post May 27 2003, 08:57 AM
Post #8

These are the good old days!

Member No.: 37

Milt; I've been told that the POC competition committee is discussing some of the problems with the V classes now. Don't know if they will help or make it worse. You can still come out and get track time no matter what class they put you in, you just might not get a little plaque to collect dust. That way you can get the car dialed in. As Chris mentioned, get your car weighed, if it's over the stock weight because of the roll bar you get points to deduct which may keep you in V4. V3 is definately a desperation class. I see these cars that show up and grab my attention because they're so heavily modified and then I see the V3 on the side and I just sigh. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
Zeke
post May 27 2003, 10:09 AM
Post #9

OK, i can keep the car in V4 with a few adjustments to the truth (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) a practice that I know exists with the slower cars that don't contend for the points lead month after month. But, I'm still in V4! with the sixes. V5 is for four cylinder cars, be they 914s or 912s. I understand the need for seat time and will be out to the POC short track series for the remainder of the year, but I am looking to run other tracks like Spring mountain and Buttonwillow. I am also signed up for the Open Track Racing event July 23 at Willow Springs. I might just make a career of racing on Wednesdays. Hah! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post May 27 2003, 03:11 PM
Post #10

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

Milt - put a big slug of lead in the front trunk and go kick butt in V5. With my 4-cylinder, I was competitive (slightly quicker) with Glenn Uslan (the Short Track Series chairman) in his fully race prepped 944. There are only 2 or 3 other cars that show up in V5; one is a nice 914/4 dedicated race car, but I'm not sure what times he's turning.

I'm not sure about the NASA comments. There was a HUGE NASA event at the Big Track (Willow) this past weekend, and there were an awful lot of serious race cars and racers there. Hundreds in fact - the paddocks were more crowded than I've ever seen.

Supposedly a 14 year old kid in some kind of little Formula car was turning 1:18's...which is smokin' fast.
+Quote Post
Zeke
post May 27 2003, 04:28 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(campbellcj @ May 27 2003, 01:11 PM)

Supposedly a 14 year old kid in some kind of little Formula car was turning 1:18's...which is smokin' fast.

Smokin' fast is right because that's the time for a well sorted Atlantic car with a top notch chauffer. He must lie about his age as they've always told me you have to be 16 to run. More power (literally) to him!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 11:35 AM