Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is this rust FATAL?
Jason914
post Dec 30 2004, 08:24 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,359

First, housekeeping, I am new to Porsche and this site. Is there a thread where I should introduce myself?

Now, my problem. My 914 has rusted through the metal panel located under the spare tire. From the top of the car I can see the suspension. Can this be fixed? Does anyone know of a source for a new panel and what this panel is called?

Thanks,
Jason
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Rusty
post Dec 30 2004, 08:30 AM
Post #2

Wanted: Engine case GA003709

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Hi Jason! You just created the place to introduce yourself!

Welcome! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/clap.gif)

Sounds like it's the front trunk floor. It would be easier to determine the extent of the repair, if you could post a picture of it. I don't know of anyone making a repro piece for that area - but donor cars usually pop up.

-Lawrence
+Quote Post
Rusty
post Dec 30 2004, 08:32 AM
Post #3

Wanted: Engine case GA003709

Member No.: 6
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

P.S. Have you checked under the rocker panels (long black panels on below the doors)? Or the battery tray (in the engine compartment) and the area beneath it? Those are classic, and potentially fatal areas for rust to occur.

-Lawrence
+Quote Post
spare time toys
post Dec 30 2004, 08:33 AM
Post #4

hooked on grilling food.

Member No.: 1,884
Region Association: Southwest Region

Not to be a smart ass but anything can be fixed. How much time and $$ you got. A photo would be a help also. One last thing welcome to the group (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wavey.gif) We are here for you. Help is just a keyboard away. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/type.gif)
+Quote Post
greg.treadway
post Dec 30 2004, 08:42 AM
Post #5

914 Nut

Member No.: 3,295

Welcome to the group. Absolutely the front trunk floor can be fixed. Post some pics and I'm sure we can give you some suggestions. The only reason to fix it is if you have rust around the transverse links which the pieces are available no problem. My initial guess is maybe the car had air conditioning and the hole you're seeing is from the missing condensor. Let's see a pic and we can tell more.
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Dec 30 2004, 09:16 AM
Post #6

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

Yup, almost everything can be fixed if you have the time and motivation. Skills can be learned and there are lots of pieces from donor cars that can be used. Of course, $$$$ is always a substitute.

In any case, don't worry about rust in the trunk, look for it in the longs and under the battery in the engine bay and right side suspension console. welcome to the club and ggod luck (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Dec 30 2004, 09:28 AM
Post #7

PMB Performance

Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Welcome Jason (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif)

After a certain number of posts you can begin posting pictures.

Greg may be right. Quite a few cars had AC condensors there. Also... it's a common place for rust. Not as common as the placed Lawrence mentioned (which is why you should check there now) but common nonetheless.

It's not "fun" but any qualified welder with a good MIG can probably install a new trunk pan for you.

Keep your eye on the list for "Sawzall" parties and see if you can get a pan section. If it's rust and not the AC cutout then I'd be guessing you'll need a few more pieces. You may want to asses the entire project before you start buying replacement pieces. Rusty longitudinals can lead to quarter panels and suspension consoles and front fenders and rear trunk sections, etc... before you know it you're into $3-4,000 worth of metalwork alone.

I've got my fingers and toes crossed for ya! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Dec 30 2004, 09:42 AM
Post #8

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Member No.: 12
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Jason Good morning, and welcome. After you have given us a better idea(pic) of what the extent of your rust has caused then we as a group can better determine what you will need. If you need afront trunk floor I have one at CAMP 914. Saved out of a donor car.
CCLINHOLEYARTTHOU
+Quote Post
greg.treadway
post Dec 30 2004, 09:43 AM
Post #9

914 Nut

Eric is right. Check overall first. You don't want the cancer to eat away at the hidden areas and cause more damage than a big hole you might see at first glance which might be the easiest fix.

We also have a good pamphlet "How To Buy A 914" which tells about all the typical problems and what to watch out for in the very beginning.
+Quote Post
Jason914
post Dec 30 2004, 10:22 AM
Post #10

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I do have rust under the doors, inside of the rockers. I also have rust in the firewall. I'll take some pics and post them when I find the memory card for my camera.

I purchased the car for $400. It had been sitting for no less than 8 years in a basement disassembled. The interior is removed, most panels except for fenders are removed. I have all the removed pieces. The engine/tranny are still in it. It's on all four wheels. But, the doors had been removed for all those years. With the rust to the frame, I'm concerned it might have sagged. If it has sagged, will it straighten if the longitudals are replaced?

I know I'm in over my head. But, I've wanted to learn body repair and figure I can cut and weld on this and it won't be a great loss if I mess up. Maybe I'm crazy.
+Quote Post
skline
post Dec 30 2004, 10:28 AM
Post #11

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

If it sagged, I would find another car to practice on but use all the parts you got from the first one. 400 is a good price for a complete parts car.
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Dec 30 2004, 10:31 AM
Post #12

PMB Performance

Uni-body tubs are not the easiest places to start when "Learning Body Repair". You should be able to get plenty of welding practice from what you're describing though (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

Sagging shouldn't be a concern at this point. If you do decide to weld her back together you'll want to address this at that time. It would be best to make a call out to the list for measurements and mount your doors (when you're ready) to get an accurate line. Restoration Design has some very good panels. They're generally difficult to get in touch with but... good panels nonetheless (longitudinal repair sections)

If'n I was you (and, of course, I'm not). I'd keep that $400 bargain you got and look for a clean tub to put underneath it. You have well over $400 in parts if it was a complete car.

Good luck with it... send pics when you can.
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Dec 30 2004, 10:50 AM
Post #13

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

Hi and Welcome

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beerchug.gif)

At the top of the page is a tab that says 914info. In there you can find the body dimensions and you can measure to see if your body has sagged.

Read some of the rust posts here, that will give you some idea what is needed to fix what ever is wrong with your car. There are some incredible projects going on.
+Quote Post
greg.treadway
post Dec 30 2004, 10:52 AM
Post #14

914 Nut

Not to sound too competitive...if you can't get ahold of Restoration Design, please call Automobile Atlanta for your rust repair panel replacements and you can always get it touch with us. We have all that RE has and many many more. Whomever you buy from I urge you to save the car as they continue to dwindle in number every year.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Dec 30 2004, 12:24 PM
Post #15

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

Many 914 shops stock the Restoration Design parts. Call you favorite.

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you. It's not and easy project, but it's do-able. The best way to cure a sagging car is to support the car from as many points as possible and take lots of measurements. If you click the 914 Info link at the top you'll find the factory chassis measurements, but note that the chassis was handmade and each one is a little different so measurements are approximate.

If I was faced with a sagging car I would put a jack stand at all four points and then support the wheels just enough to keep them from pulling down on each end.
+Quote Post
greg.treadway
post Dec 30 2004, 12:36 PM
Post #16

914 Nut

I think if you check, most of the shops are stocking the AutoAtlanta pieces since we are reliable and always have them in stock. We have a wholesale program to most vendors and enjoy our relationship with them.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Dec 30 2004, 02:56 PM
Post #17

Resident German

Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Dec 30 2004, 07:28 AM)
After a certain number of posts you can begin posting pictures.

no, no and no!

please, don't confuse the newbies,

THERE IS NO LIMIT ON WHEN YOU CAN ATTACH PICTURES TO YOUR POSTS!

you can attach pictures to your very first post here on this board ...
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif) Andy

PS: sounds like quite a rust-bucket. please post pics of the rusty areas and the "hell-hole" (area under the battery tray)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Rhodes71/914
post Dec 30 2004, 03:28 PM
Post #18

Glacier

Member No.: 2,482

Just wanted to say... welcome to the club, great bunch of people here.

Craig- pm sent regarding floor peice.
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Dec 30 2004, 05:09 PM
Post #19

PMB Performance

you can attach pictures to your very first post here on this board ...

Did it change? I don't remember having a problem but I've heard SO many people saying that they had to have (x) number of posts before they can post a pic. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Jason914
post Dec 30 2004, 05:34 PM
Post #20

I measured the windshield to sail and got 41". The driver door measured 25 1/16". So, as it sits it does not appear to have a problem. Believe it or not I could not measure the passenger side. I wasn't prepared to pick up the car when I had to. So, I pulled everything out of the garage, put the car and all its boxes in, and then put everything back in the garage. So, I couldn't get to the passenger side. I should find my camera memory card tonight and then post pictures.

Thanks again!
Jason
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 04:25 PM