Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Should I part-out my 914?, advice
dkos
post Dec 31 2004, 12:04 PM
Post #1

say, "RUST"!

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,204
Region Association: None

I just happened to have a few bucks in my pocket when I came across this '72 1.7. I've always want one and figured it would be a good father/son project. Well being a bonehead with a bonus check in his pocket I bought the car (this is why my wife usually handles the money). Once I got it home and up on jacks I started to discover a lot of rust hidden under those brand new rocker panels. When I jack the car under the jack points I can see the the door frame opening up. While the battery tray looks pretty good from above, once I got under the car I discovered there was some damage to the area underneath it. The jacking donut on the passenger side rear is pretty much gone. The car runs great. It starts right up even in the cold after sitting a week. The interior looks pretty nice except for a questionable reupolstering job on the drivers seat by the PO.

I'm not afraid of hard work and I know someone willing to give me welding lessons. I'm not looking to race this car or to restore it to original form. I just want to drive it safely. Will installing the Brad Mayeurs kit make this car safe to drive? Is it worth fixing or should I try to recoup my money parting it out? Can I make my money back parting it out? Can I find a rust free 914, in the Philadelphia area, for under $5000 to replace it?

Any advice appreciated.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
spare time toys
post Dec 31 2004, 12:09 PM
Post #2

hooked on grilling food.

Member No.: 1,884
Region Association: Southwest Region

Let me be one of the first to say Welcome to the club. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wavey.gif) Can you post photos to help us decide just how bad it may be.
+Quote Post
nebreitling
post Dec 31 2004, 12:10 PM
Post #3

Member Emeritus

Member No.: 478

welcome to the board!

if your unibody is rotting that much, then it's probably not worth repairing. BUT, if the rest of the car is nice (or, nice enough), then you can just buy yourself a tub and swap all the parts into it.

tub=$1k west coast + $600 or so shipping

and you got yourself a car!
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Dec 31 2004, 12:44 PM
Post #4

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

Hello and welcome

It all depends on how much you need to repair and if you have a place to do the repairs. Skills can be learned/ tools bought. There are several members here that are doing exactly what you are describing now. Some are doing more.

Post some pictures of the areas on your car and we will have a better idea of what your up against and can advise you.

Take a look at the repair threads that others are doing, like THIS one for instance.

There are two strengthing kits available for the car. One goes outside (Brad Mayeurs) and the other goes inside (Engman) but before you add those you should fix the cause of weakness by replacing the rusted metal and treat the other areas that can be reached with a rust inhibitor.

It sounds like a doable project (car starts and runs and the rest looks ok) The satisfaction you will get when your compleated will be worth it. As long as you don't sucume to either DW or NW disease along the way.
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Dec 31 2004, 12:51 PM
Post #5

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

Yup....better to get a good tub and transfer yer running gear. Don't cut it up.....keep it for parts or another restore it....
+Quote Post
dkos
post Dec 31 2004, 02:37 PM
Post #6

say, "RUST"!

Member No.: 3,204

Thanks for the replies! I think I'm gonna take my chances and try to repair this car. I don't have room for another car though. I'll try to post some pictures this weekend. From what I've seen on this site a lot of people have repaired much worse.

Happy New Year!!!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 03:00 PM