Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The 1st thing to do on the 1st, It might be "long" but don't ignore it
boxsterfan
post Jan 1 2014, 08:24 PM
Post #1

914's are kewl

Group: Members
Member No.: 791
Region Association: Northern California

Check your longs!! Mine had some piles of dirt come out (not necessarily picture below) but not that much. There wise a nice clod of dirt compacted around the jack point on the passenger side.

My car is, so fortunately, looking pretty good. I have rust in the hell hole. My firewall and floorboards look great. I am sure there is rust back in behind that long area though.

First is drivers side:

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
boxsterfan
post Jan 1 2014, 08:26 PM
Post #2

914's are kewl

And passenger side:

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jan 1 2014, 08:30 PM
Post #3

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

I pulled my passenger rocker last year for the first time. It was filled with rubber worms from the car's old track days... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif)
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jan 1 2014, 08:38 PM
Post #4

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

When I pulled the rocker covers off the 'BB', I stuck a piece of coat hanger wire up into the weep holes in the bottoms of the jack supports and was amazed how much dried up dirt came out.

I ended up drilling additional weep holes at the opposite lower corners of the supports and continued removing dirt from a different angle. Then I blew compressed air into one weep hole and even more dirt came out of the other. Now any moisture should drain better no matter whether parked flat, uphill, or downhill.

Attached Image

I wonder if drilling some drain holes at a few locations in the longs would be beneficial (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
gifted914
post Jan 1 2014, 08:58 PM
Post #5

middleagecrisis

Member No.: 15,778
Region Association: Australia and New Zealand

QUOTE(euro911 @ Jan 2 2014, 12:38 PM) *

When I pulled the rocker covers off the 'BB', I stuck a piece of coat hanger wire up into the weep holes in the bottoms of the jack supports and was amazed how much dried up dirt came out.

I ended up drilling an additional weep holes at the opposite lower corners of the supports and continued removing dirt from a different angle. Then I blew compressed air into one weep hole and even more dirt came out of the other. Now any moisture should drain better no matter whether parked flat, uphill, or downhill.

Attached Image

I wonder if drilling some drain holes at a few locations in the longs would be beneficial (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Hi, I would drill maybe 3 x 1" holes in the longs evenly spaced.
Then blast the hell out of inside with hight pressure water.
Then wait until dry and blast the inside with rust converter ie "Phosphoric Acid"
This will slow the rust if any.
The fit rubber bungs in the holes so these can be removed at times for cleaning and inspection.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/type.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/type.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/type.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/type.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
boxsterfan
post Jan 1 2014, 09:12 PM
Post #6

914's are kewl

Hmmmm......that seems like a good idea to drill some weep holes (and to spray inside the longs to protect from rust as long as possible). However, wouldn't that damage the "heater mufflers" in there? I would assume the acid would destroy them. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

BTW, where can I acquire some new bolts (especially for the bottom) for the rocker panels? Just hit up my local hW store? I am going to be using sheet metal screws for the rocker panels on the topside/threshhold area instead of rivets.
+Quote Post
gifted914
post Jan 2 2014, 12:49 AM
Post #7

middleagecrisis

QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Jan 2 2014, 01:12 PM) *

Hmmmm......that seems like a good idea to drill some weep holes (and to spray inside the longs to protect from rust as long as possible). However, wouldn't that damage the "heater mufflers" in there? I would assume the acid would destroy them. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

BTW, where can I acquire some new am going to be using sheet metal screws for the rocker panels on the topside/threshhold area instead of rivets.

The acid is used in rust converters in a mild form when dry it leaves a white powdery coating and neutralises the air to moisture reaction on ferris metals which arears as rust. This is a neutralising process not a complete fix so I have sprayed some thick oil in the longs to reduce the chance of rust reaccuring.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jan 2 2014, 02:13 AM
Post #8

I'm going to insert an inspection camera in the longs to assess their condition and see where any obstacles exist.

I used Eastwood's 'Rust Encapsulator' spray (the green stuff) in my tunnel, will probably use the same in the longs.

I'm thinking the best place for a drain hole will be at the lowest section in each of the longs, just beyond where the downward angle transitions to horizontal (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
cary
post Jan 2 2014, 08:05 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,608
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

The rocker panel has drains pressed in it already .............
Kind of hard to explain
I'll shoot a couple pictures today at the shop.
They just need to cleaned out.
I have two new rocker panels waiting to be installed.
I'm thinking I'll shoot a blip of orange paint on the drain holes before I clear coat it after I paint it. Just as a reminder.

I think the original jack points kind of had drains holes in them.
But they were too close to the bottom radius of the rocker and probably got filled up pretty quickly.
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Jan 2 2014, 08:15 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,527
Region Association: South East States

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

When I did my long repair, I made sure that all of those drains were still intact on the inner rocker. I suppose one could drill an extra hole to feed that rust encapsulator tube in, just make sure that the RE doesn't go on so thick that it plugs those drains. They can, and should be cleaned with a small screwdriver occasionally. The jack point is a whole different story, as Cary mentioned. But it seems to me most of the rust that occurs there actually starts from the outside in, as debris piles up on it over the years.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jan 2 2014, 09:14 AM
Post #11

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

with that amount pictured i think you're in pretty good shape.
+Quote Post
boxsterfan
post Jan 2 2014, 11:05 AM
Post #12

914's are kewl

Thanks for all of the replies. I am going to clean each of the longs this weekend and get a good look at them (it was getting dark when i took pics yesterday). I definitely like the idea of spraying some rust encapsulator into the longs.

I also like the idea of spraying some thick oil into the longs afterwards to help keep future rust at bay (until the day that i do a full restore on this car). What kind of oil can be sprayed in for this purpose? Motor oil?
+Quote Post
gifted914
post Jan 2 2014, 01:40 PM
Post #13

middleagecrisis

QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Jan 3 2014, 03:05 AM) *

Thanks for all of the replies. I am going to clean each of the longs this weekend and get a good look at them (it was getting dark when i took pics yesterday). I definitely like the idea of spraying some rust encapsulator into the longs.

I also like the idea of spraying some thick oil into the longs afterwards to help keep future rust at bay (until the day that i do a full restore on this car). What kind of oil can be sprayed in for this purpose? Motor oil?

Motor oil would work but gearbox/diff oil is thicker.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
boxsterfan
post Jan 2 2014, 02:00 PM
Post #14

914's are kewl

Thanks for the all the replies.

Who sells the Rocker Panel Jack Plugs? 914Rubber have these?

I probably need a few other pieces from 914Rubber so hoping I can combine it all together.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jan 2 2014, 03:02 PM
Post #15

Once you spray an 'encapsulator', why would you need to (or want to) apply any type of oil in there?

Once you spray oil in there, you have a hard time getting it all out if the need arises (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
boxsterfan
post Jan 2 2014, 03:54 PM
Post #16

914's are kewl

QUOTE(euro911 @ Jan 2 2014, 01:02 PM) *

Once you spray an 'encapsulator', why would you need to (or want to) apply any type of oil in there?

Once you spray oil in there, you have a hard time getting it all out if the need arises (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

You mean it will still rust after that? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yikes.gif)

Just kidding....guess it is kind of an either/or situation then. If I had to choose one i would spray a rust encapsulator I guess because at some point the car will have to be restored....even though I live in Cali. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sunglasses.gif)
+Quote Post
nsyr
post Jan 2 2014, 05:06 PM
Post #17

Because I Can

Member No.: 2,073

After the rust is treated, flood the inside of the longs with boiled linseed oil. it works great at sealing and preventing rust.
+Quote Post
cary
post Jan 2 2014, 10:16 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,608
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Here's a picture of the rocker laying on the bench.
Inside of the blue boxes are the drain holes.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
boxsterfan
post Jan 4 2014, 10:21 PM
Post #19

914's are kewl

So I was able to finish cleaning up the longs today. In addition, I checked all of the drain (weeping) holes on the longs and jack point and they are all clear. I'm in the midst of rattle canning my rocker panels but that will be another thread.

For now, here are a couple more close ups of the passenger side long and the "worst" of it...which thankfully is nothing.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jan 4 2014, 11:14 PM
Post #20

Doesn't look bad at all.

Maybe wire-brush the surface rust and hit it with some rust mort (or a similar product)?

I'm more concerned with what the insides of my longs look like, since I did have a hell hole issue/repair.

I need to determine the best location(s) to insert the inspection camera. I don't think the OEM drain slots are large enough to accommodate the camera head. I'm leery of pulling those rubber plugs from the inside (passenger compartment) for fear they will either break, or have a hard time reinstalling them (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Are they still available new? ... Bueller?, anyone?
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 12:14 PM