Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> COMPANY RESTORATION RECOMMENDATION, LOOKING FOR LIST OF COMPANIES TO RESTORE 914
scotty b
post Jan 5 2014, 01:10 PM
Post #21

rust free you say ?

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,419
Region Association: None

Jake, I'm going to steal your post and have it printed on some t-shirts (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

Double what you think it will cost and you'll be pretty close.

Triple how long you think it will take, and you'll be pretty close.

Restorations start out with high levels of enthusiasm, they often end with drained bank accounts, pissed off wives, bad experiences with those providing services and some people just give up.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jan 5 2014, 01:43 PM
Post #22

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(scotty b @ Jan 5 2014, 11:10 AM) *

Jake, I'm going to steal your post and have it printed on some t-shirts (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

Double what you think it will cost and you'll be pretty close.

Triple how long you think it will take, and you'll be pretty close.

Restorations start out with high levels of enthusiasm, they often end with drained bank accounts, pissed off wives, bad experiences with those providing services and some people just give up.

Or at least frame it & put it on your shop wall (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif) . True statement for sure
+Quote Post
FourBlades
post Jan 5 2014, 03:27 PM
Post #23

From Wreck to Rockin

Member No.: 8,414
Region Association: South East States

All the obstacles, trials, and tribulations just make your first drive in your restored
car all the more sweet. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Truly one of the cool experiences in life is to drive a car you just rebuilt yourself
or that you had restored to the way you wanted it.

Every time you drive it or show it to people it keeps paying off.

John
+Quote Post
struckn
post Jan 5 2014, 06:43 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 13,764
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(rodneyj512 @ Jan 4 2014, 11:28 PM) *

I have a 914, drives but needs restoring. Please send me a list of good companies. Rodneyj512@yahoo.com

Rodney, suggest you Post some Pictures of what you have and what you think you need done so we can help you know if it's a good idea to proceed with restortion.

If it's too involved I have to suggest you bail out on it and buy one that's already done. In the long run you can buy a rust free Calif., Arizon, maybe Texas car that wouldn't need a lot done to it for less that $10K and drive it home tomorrow.......if it's not snowing.

Doug

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Jan 5 2014, 08:43 PM
Post #25

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095

Glad you guys who have been there agree with my statements. I tell my engine customers this same thing over and over again about the entirety of the project.

I don't want people starting a project with me, then when a year passes by and they have to pay me for the last 50% of the engine and they have to bail. Because I am so forward about this I have only had one person bail in the past 7 years, and yes, he was a 914 owner and he bailed last year.

From building my own cars I have learned to not even add up the costs. Just build the damn thing and enjoy it, it cost what it cost and takes as long as it takes. You can't rush success, but you can rush failure.

I have started buying cars that are almost done, or that people have finished.. Let someone else lose all their time and money, make a few changes to make it my way and save a ton of time and cash.

This post has been edited by Jake Raby: Jan 5 2014, 08:46 PM
+Quote Post
Old Yella
post Jan 5 2014, 11:40 PM
Post #26

Old Yella

Member No.: 16,086
Region Association: Southwest Region

If you are not a high earner and can't pay for everything to be done, you need to get some training and some decent tools.

I have a qualification in motor vehicle restoration which was a two year coarse. We learnt oxy, mig, electric stick welding, panel shaping, file finish and lead wiping. That was 25 years ago and the best thing I ever did.

I feel sick in the stomach when I see a can of bog, filler or as you Americans call it bondo. The problem with training is you are taught to have standards. This can also cause problems if you have a compulsive obsessive disorder, because nothing is ever good enough.

I did the coarse initially because I was sick of poor workmanship at the places who worked on my cars so I just thought, "gotta do it myself".

I eventually got over having to have everything perfect and just wanted the cars to drive, brake and handle beautifully. Paint and body work always gets its scratched and bumped so a few scratches and bumps is OK. It's apparently all the rage to have some patina.

I also learned that you just have to get into the habit of doing a little bit on your project regularly. That way you move through the sets of tasks and the jobs get done.

good luck
+Quote Post
Ruprect006
post Jul 16 2020, 01:15 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 21,511

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jan 5 2014, 10:12 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

Chris Foley and Scottyb on the east coast. Don't forget about Joe O'Brien in Florida.

Where in Florida is Joe O'Brien? What's his company?

Does anyone know any good shops in the region around Pensacola, FL? I don't need a full restoration, but just help knowing what should be done to get a very clean '73 15K mile car that was stored for 35 years going correctly.

Thanks for your help!
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jul 16 2020, 02:38 PM
Post #28

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

I suggest anyone looking to have a complete car done do their homework and check the shops current level of work quality. Apparently this skill is perishable and what once may have been considered 5 star quality now may not even earn 1 star. Don't rush and ask around for recommendations.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jul 16 2020, 04:18 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Joe is in Deland FL:

Series 9

Very reputable shop.
+Quote Post
hcdmueller
post Jul 16 2020, 09:42 PM
Post #30

?????????????

Member No.: 5,527
Region Association: England

My car is over with Joe right now. He came highly recommended and I was impressed with what I saw at his shop when I dropped off my car.

My car is a low mileage 76 that needed some minor welding and refresh.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 07:07 PM