Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New Years Resolution- weight loss, Atkins, South Beach, 914 ?
ottox914
post Jan 3 2005, 07:49 AM
Post #1

The glory that once was.

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,438
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Atkins or South Beach may work on the driver, how about the car? Here are some of the things I have done or will do, with weights listed. Thinking of auto cross here. Also rate your projects, 1-10, 1 being way to easy, 10 being get friends w/experience, block off the weekend, plan on pizza and beer in the garage.

Stock exhaust- 44 lbs
SSI w/bursch- 37lbs
Kerry Hunter- 21lbs

weights by way of GRM 914 series article. I now have the KH system on the car, a savings of 23 lbs. Maybe a 4-5 on the hard to do scale.

remove spair tire. weights will varry, a Mahle 4 bolt with unknown size/brand spair was 32lbs. This is a 1.

mini battery. haven't done this yet, but the standard size battery was 34 lbs in my car, I hear they make 12 pounders in a sealed design. Thats 22 more lbs, again at a difficulty rating of 1.

? how much a gallon of gas is, but to run with 1/4 tank rather than 3/4 would be maybe 5 gals or so, at even a pound per gallon, thats 5 lbs, difficulty of 1.

Took off the fuel vapor recovery tank on top of the gas tank. vented all lines to below the chassis, don't want overflow or fumes in the front trunk. haven't weighted it, guessing at 5 lbs. difficulty of 2.

Hollow front torsion bars, didn't weigh either, but lets guess at 5 lbs each, total of 10lbs. difficulty level 3, to r/r, but you need to mess around w/your corner weights after, which is easy but time comsuming.

revised front suspension to cut 1 5/8 off the strut housings and use 911 konis. this allows front end to be lowered more, and retain more suspension travel. when putting it back togather, used koni snubbers, and left the metal dust shields off. Those were 2 lbs each, I think, don't know about the weight of 1 strut to the other, so I'll stick w/2 lbs per side, total of 4 lbs. difficulty of the dust shield, may be a 3, doing the struts at least a 5, as measuring/cutting/welding required.

All totaled thats 96 lbs!!!!! Most of it was pretty easy. What have other done? Does anyone know how much early doors will save? How about an early interior? How much more for getting rid of the under coating, tar sound insulation, and insulation pad in the engine room? How about light weight alu. calipers, like some wilwoods vs the stock iron units? After market wheels/tires? Keep it coming!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
URY914
post Jan 3 2005, 08:00 AM
Post #2

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222
Region Association: None

Thats a great start!

Wilwoods are not a bolt on or an easy modification. Its been discussed here before. To get them to work would be about a 9 on your scale. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sad.gif)

Wheels and tires are an easy item, but as you go wider you also pick up weight. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sad.gif)

Here is an easy one on race day- remove the passenger seat. About a 2 on the scale. Save about 15 pounds (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)

Remove the radio and speakers- 5 pounds? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)

Replace the heater boxes with a header- 20 pounds (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)

Paul
+Quote Post
machina
post Jan 3 2005, 08:06 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 848

Lexan windows make a huge difference and they are cheap if you cut them yourself. Not sure of the exact weight savings but I'm thinking over 25 lbs not counting the windshield.

Yes they will scratch but if your careful they will last quite a while.

The lexan windshield is expensive and probably not a good idea for a street car.
+Quote Post
URY914
post Jan 3 2005, 08:09 AM
Post #4

****************************************************************************************************

Is the intent to keep it in a stock or prepared class and streetable?
+Quote Post
machina
post Jan 3 2005, 08:14 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

on thread topic, slight hi-jack

hey paul...

you must have some idea how much your car will weigh now.

What are you thinking your race weight will be?
+Quote Post
skline
post Jan 3 2005, 08:24 AM
Post #6

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

Gasoline is about 7 pounds per gallon. So if you use 5 gallons less you lose approximately 35 pounds.
+Quote Post
ottox914
post Jan 3 2005, 09:46 AM
Post #7

The glory that once was.

Member No.: 1,438
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Wow, didn't know gas was so heavy. Good thing its priced by the gallon rather than the pound! I knew our seats were light, but had no idea what the real weight was. Think I'll get into the storage shed with a scale, as I have a complete seat and rails.

Paul, I thought you'd be all over this one... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

As far as class, I ran SM2 last season, mostly due to honesty and the BMW front brake, move the 914 fronts to the rear conversion. Suspension tweeks but stock drivetrain. Actually won 1 event, but it was an early season (poor "R" performance for the other SM2's, I was on 2 season old Azenis) against the turbo/supercharged miatas- several of each, turbo MR2's, wild engine swaps... Our SM2 class usually has about 1/2 of the top 10 raw times of the day...

Class plans for the next several seasons would be DSP, now that we have been moved there. De-evolve the brakes. Patiently wait for the KitCarlson EFI, install, and learn how to tune it. Add the turbo sitting in the garage. (Yes, I know, I KNOW, you can't turbo a 914 (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/huh.gif) ) and move back into SM2 with a sorted suspension/tire combo, well tuned 150 whp or so, LSD/shortened 3rd gear tranny, and see how it goes. Class minimums currently are 1900 NA and 2100 turbo/super charged. I know I'll still be down on power with a conservative tune and back yard turbo, but if I have 150 reliable whp I can actually put down, VS one particular supercharged miata w/270 whp (yes, I saw the dyno chart) who knows? Keep the weight loss ideas coming, I'd like to get under 2100 and add a cage and/or the engman (sp) stiffening kit to make up the difference.
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Jan 3 2005, 01:23 PM
Post #8

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

Get rid of those 73 doors. They are very heavy.
I am intrigued by the guy that put a velcro strap to hold the windows up instead of the winder mechanism. Howz that work?

Getting rid of the head light motors is something I am really going to do on my 70 stripper.
+Quote Post
Colicious
post Jan 3 2005, 01:36 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 3,397

carbon fiber hood and trunk. i know for the bmw e30 m3 the hood weighs somewhere around 70-80lbs, and a good carbon fiber hood weighs 12..so you save like 60lbs on that...and same with the trunk
+Quote Post
nebreitling
post Jan 3 2005, 01:50 PM
Post #10

Member Emeritus

Member No.: 478

from your avatar, it looks like you've got stock bumpers. if you can live w/out their protection, you can move to fiberglass and save some ###s.

also, how gutted can your interior be?
+Quote Post
scotty914
post Jan 3 2005, 03:58 PM
Post #11

suby torque rules

Member No.: 924

how much does the engine lid weigh you could take it off at the track or ax course.
+Quote Post
URY914
post Jan 3 2005, 08:19 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (synthesisdv @ Jan 3 2005, 06:14 AM)

hey paul...

Maybe 1200 pounds???
+Quote Post
machina
post Jan 3 2005, 08:28 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (URY914 @ Jan 3 2005, 09:19 PM)
QUOTE (synthesisdv @ Jan 3 2005, 06:14 AM)

hey paul...

Maybe 1200 pounds???

That's amazing.

Basically the weight of a formula continental or C sport racer. With even a mild motor, that thing will fly.
+Quote Post
URY914
post Jan 3 2005, 08:48 PM
Post #14

Sorry Dave I miss read your question. Without the body and engine (as shown in the pictures) I'd say 1,100 -1,200. The body is 75-125, and the engine 200-250(???) so I figure the total weight 1500???

Are you going to the PCA Club Race in Feb? I'll be weighing the car on thier scales.

Paul
+Quote Post
machina
post Jan 3 2005, 09:06 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (URY914 @ Jan 3 2005, 09:48 PM)
Are you going to the PCA Club Race in Feb? I'll be weighing the car on thier scales.

I thought that sounded tooo light but hey, there aint much there.

I was going to be at Sebring but there is an SCCA vintage race at Moroso in February. Not sure if its the same weekend as the 48hrs but I can't make 2 race weekends in the same month, my wife would change the locks before I got home. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
URY914
post Jan 3 2005, 09:32 PM
Post #16

I knw what you mean.

Club race is 12th -15th of Feb. Just come over for the day.
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Jan 4 2005, 01:00 AM
Post #17

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Member No.: 12
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Front hood= 32.9
Rear hood=27.8
Rear window glass=9.4
Doors Early=22.9(stripped)
Doors Late= 34.6(stripped)
Gas tank= 17.5 (empty)
Heater parts= 10.0
Targa top= 22.1
Bumpers Late front=44.3
Bumpers Late rear= 43.2
Engine lid=15.2

I took these over the weekend. Lots of instant weight loose items.
CLINATKINSLOWCARBDIET
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Jan 4 2005, 11:27 AM
Post #18

CUMONIWANNARACEU

QUOTE (boxstr @ Jan 3 2005, 11:00 PM)
Front hood= 32.9
Rear hood=27.8
Rear window glass=9.4
Doors Early=22.9(stripped)
Doors Late= 34.6(stripped)
Gas tank= 17.5 (empty)
Heater parts= 10.0
Targa top= 22.1
Bumpers Late front=44.3
Bumpers Late rear= 43.2
Engine lid=15.2

I took these over the weekend. Lots of instant weight loose items.
CLINATKINSLOWCARBDIET

I will take one of everything in it's lightest version please (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

I also think I am in the position to go with fiberglass door skins as I have a early set from the stripper.

Paul what ya got? maybe we can talk Rob into bringing me out a pair when he gets his motor.
+Quote Post
URY914
post Jan 4 2005, 11:41 AM
Post #19

Joe, When is he picking up the engine?
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Jan 4 2005, 11:42 AM
Post #20

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Paul you have mail
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 08:02 AM