Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cylinder compression, 1973-2.0, 4-Cyl (#3 compression)
rickllyell53
post Jan 3 2005, 10:30 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,396

Hi everyone,
When I bought this car in 2000, I adjusted the valves and checked compression, which was 138 psi for 3 of the four cylinders and 95 for the number 3 cylinder. Today, I repeated this check and the 3 cylinders are at 127, with the number 3 cylinder at 82 psi. I put a tblsp of oil in the #3 cyl spark plug hole and the compression came up to 130, so I believe the cause is just ring wear.

The question is what are everyones thoughts on allowable min compression (if not there already) before rebuilding the engine.

Or is the delta between the 'good' and bad cylinder compression too great?
Thanks, and happy new year,
Rick
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
DJsRepS
post Jan 3 2005, 11:09 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 3,060

First recheck your valve adjustment.Repete the test on a warm motor and keep the throddle open during the cranking sumtin about vacuume throws off the test with closed throdle.
+Quote Post
rickllyell53
post Jan 6 2005, 08:37 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 3,396

DJ,
I got a very similar response from the guys at Pelican, with the addional comment of 100psi being the recommended min compression. I was doing the compression check wrong (cold engine/throttle closed). So will take your recommendation, verify valve clearances, warm up engine then check compression with throttle open.
Thanks for the great advice, I really appreciate it.
Rick
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 08:52 AM