Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> new style elec connectors, anyone try these yet?
machina
post Jan 3 2005, 01:20 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 848

Saw them on speedTV.

http://www.posi-lock.com/index.html

The Posi-Tap caught my eye because I need to tap into an existing ignition lead. Looks like a good way to do it.

All the rest of my connections are crimped and heat shrinked so not sure I could use the other styles but they are nice.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Jan 3 2005, 01:41 PM
Post #2

Not another one!

Member No.: 1,743

Pity there are no multi-conductor connectors in their line. It looks like only their "Posi-Tite" connection is weather-proof. The price isn't too bad compared to something like a WeatherPak connector, esp. when you factor in the price of a good crimp tool.
+Quote Post
Kerrys914
post Jan 3 2005, 01:51 PM
Post #3

Dear, the parts I just sold paid for that part ;)

Group: Members
Member No.: 16

I tried one of the type shown. Wal-mart has some of the types in the automotive section.

They work okay but are not the cleanest installation out there.

Cheers
+Quote Post
gaz914
post Jan 3 2005, 04:20 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 1,758
Region Association: None

Wouldn't be using them for anything high current (headlights, etc).
Solder and tape is still the neatest and most secure method for joining wires in my experience (auto elec for 20 years).
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Jan 3 2005, 04:35 PM
Post #5

Not another one!

Member No.: 1,743

Solder and tape is still the neatest and most secure method for joining wires in my experience (auto elec for 20 years).

This really does appear to be an issue that's nearly religious. Aircraft use has been crimp only for a long time, and those guys are pretty anal. It comes down, I think, to two issues: solder connections are harder to make properly, and harder to check after they're made, but crimp connections are very easy to make badly, with improper tools (and crappy connectors). Both get a bad rep as a result.

With a proper (expensive) crimp tool and good connectors, crimp connections work well and will last for a very long time. Done with care, solder connections will work well and will last for a very long time. IMHO, with a good crimper and some practice, it's possible to make good connections much faster than with solder, and these connections can be checked visually.

Both require some sort of weatherproofing and strain relief. Heat shrink is tidier than black tape, but tape will work.
+Quote Post
StratPlayer
post Jan 3 2005, 04:36 PM
Post #6

StratPlayer

Member No.: 27
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I use them, and once the wires are connected these babies stay connected. Great product and very easy to use.
+Quote Post
zabo
post Jan 3 2005, 04:41 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 2,940

They are phantasitc! They are not water tight, but they hold tight as all git out. Only problem… They are expensive as platinum.

Michael.
+Quote Post
gaz914
post Jan 4 2005, 12:04 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 1,758
Region Association: None

QUOTE (lapuwali @ Jan 3 2005, 02:35 PM)
This really does appear to be an issue that's nearly religious.  Aircraft use has been crimp only for a long time, and those guys are pretty anal.

Correct.
If you look at a automotive wiring loom you will also notice that there are no soldered joints from the factory.

The issue with soldering is the copper hardens (precipitation hardening) with heat and makes it more brittle. Probably a BIG deal on aircraft and for manufacturers - hence no solder.

Our cars are probably a little bit less stringent in the requirements.

Crimp works well if done right but splicing into a wire (pick up power, etc) is a lot more difficult and takes up more space with a crimp conection.

As long as a soldered joint is kept free from excessive movement (ie taped to the loom) then it is definately the most weather resistant and enduring for us mere mortals.
+Quote Post
Gint
post Jan 4 2005, 03:36 PM
Post #9

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

The inline connectors are great for temporarily wiring stuff that you may remove or during testing of new components. They're also extremely handy on the side of the highwway.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 05:32 PM