Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> removable rain tray?
mightyohm
post Jan 3 2005, 01:56 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 162
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Is there a good way to make the rain tray easily removable? Zip ties or?? I want to put it back on for the rest of the winter and be able to take it off when summer is here again.

I have an early style 70-72 rain tray if it matters. Actually if anyone in the bay area is giving away a rain tray I would gladly take one in better shape than mine. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif) Mine is warped and one of the mounting tabs is broken off. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/unsure.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Demick
post Jan 3 2005, 02:12 PM
Post #2

Ernie made me do it!

Member No.: 257

It's held in with just 6 screws isn't it? Comes out in less than 5 minutes. Are you really looking for a faster way to get it in and out?
+Quote Post
mightyohm
post Jan 3 2005, 03:42 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

It was originally held in by rivets. I don't know if that is stock or not, this is a 72.
+Quote Post
Demick
post Jan 3 2005, 04:13 PM
Post #4

Ernie made me do it!

Member No.: 257

I didn't know that. My '74 was held in with screws. In that case, I can see why you want an easier way.

Demick
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Jan 3 2005, 04:32 PM
Post #5

Retired admin, banned a few times

Group: Members
Member No.: 5
Region Association: None

Ummmm, rivets are a DAPO modification....they should all be held in with screws.
+Quote Post
smooth_eddy
post Jan 3 2005, 08:55 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 3,102

Just drill out the rivots and replace them with stainless screws.
+Quote Post
mightyohm
post Jan 4 2005, 02:30 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (smooth_eddy @ Jan 3 2005, 06:55 PM)
Just drill out the rivots and replace them with stainless screws.

that's exactly what I just did. it took me about 15 minutes. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif) my rain tray is a little bit hosed (one of the tabs at the rear broke off) but i think it will be enough to get by. thanks for all the help!
+Quote Post
DJsRepS
post Jan 4 2005, 05:48 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 3,060

You really think it cools better with it off. I do central A/C repair and know some about CFM (cubic foot pr Min)and how pos and neg airpressures and restrictions affect the airflow/CFM. I may be wrong as I often am but the Intake of the fan is open to the entire motor bay and less than 1sq ft opening. The large grill opening with the rain gaurd spaced for 1" air gap all around it should be suffecent. One could prove airflow with an manometer that measuers pressure in inches of water colom. Put the sensor in the motor bay and hood closed and run from idle up to 4k for 10 sec and look for neg pressuer readings, then compair the readings with the rain gaurd off. I would figure the rain and the sun hitting the motor would not be an good trade off.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jan 4 2005, 09:03 AM
Post #9

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

QUOTE (DJsRepS @ Jan 4 2005, 04:48 AM)
You really think it cools better with it off. I do central A/C repair and know some about CFM (cubic foot pr Min)and how pos and neg airpressures and restrictions affect the airflow/CFM. I may be wrong as I often am but the Intake of the fan is open to the entire motor bay and less than 1sq ft opening. The large grill opening with the rain gaurd spaced for 1" air gap all around it should be suffecent. One could prove airflow with an manometer that measuers pressure in inches of water colom. Put the sensor in the motor bay and hood closed and run from idle up to 4k for 10 sec and look for neg pressuer readings, then compair the readings with the rain gaurd off. I would figure the rain and the sun hitting the motor would not be an good trade off.

yes, removing it does help, in fact one person with a /6 reported a 15° drop in temperature by raising the lid open about 2"
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 04:34 PM