Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Looking for a 914
Phil Patry
post Jan 4 2005, 03:49 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,842

I have been drooling over 914's for a while now and have done quite a bit of reading and research on them. I read the book “How to Restore & Modify Your Porsche 914 & 914/6” cover to cover and have done a bit on research online. What draws me most to a 914 is the fact that is affordable, mid-engine (great handling), and is not too common a car. I love the lines, etc.

I’m currently searching for a car in the South Florida area (West Palm Beach/Fort Lauderdale). I’m looking for a car that is daily drivable, solid chassis with little rust, and a decent coat of paint (as not to piss off the HOA in my wonderful gated community). I’m not looking for show quality and I don’t care that much about the interior, just something to drive everyday and work on. I’m pretty competent with a wrench so most repairs that can be done in a driveway I can handle.

Since I’m really a Porsche/VW newbie I was hoping for some advice as to some things I should watch out for. I know the doors should close flush with weight in the car and the battery trays are prone to rusting. From what I have read it looks like the ideal car would be a 73 or 74 2.0 though I would still consider any other engine. I’m currently looking at a price range of around $2,500 for a car. I would appreciate any input as to what I should expect to find. I know eBay’s prices are allot more inflated then local purchases since I’ve sold a car on there before and have been checking 914’s on there.

Thanks
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
nebreitling
post Jan 4 2005, 03:58 PM
Post #2

Member Emeritus

Member No.: 478

welcome aboard -- you've hit the jackpot in cumulative knowledge here.

i'll just offer the following: pay more up front and less later.

seriously, if you're looking for a decent driver, try to budget $5-6k. you will save far more than the initial $2.5-3.5k difference in the long run.

and don't worry -- you'll still get to wrench on it if it breaks down (somewhat likely) or if you get "upgrade fever" (highly likely)!

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Jan 4 2005, 04:11 PM
Post #3

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE (nebreitling @ Jan 4 2005, 01:58 PM)
welcome aboard -- you've hit the jackpot in cumulative knowledge here.

i'll just offer the following: pay more up front and less later.

seriously, if you're looking for a decent driver, try to budget $5-6k. you will save far more than the initial $2.5-3.5k difference in the long run.

and don't worry -- you'll still get to wrench on it if it breaks down (somewhat likely) or if you get "upgrade fever" (highly likely)!

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beerchug.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif) Buy something someone has already done or kept up on. Oh yeah, and welcome! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wavey.gif)
+Quote Post
seanery
post Jan 4 2005, 04:19 PM
Post #4

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100
Region Association: None

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif)
$2500 isn't much of a budget for a solid car outside of CA.
Don't get too hung up on the 73/74 thing either.
Many cars have had or need engine rebuilds and a bigger motor
isn't that big of a deal, unless you go crazy on hi-po parts.
Sway bars can be added, etc....

I agree with the $5000 range as a good starting point.
If you can find someone here to go with you to look at any potential candidates
I think you'll learn quite a bit about what/where to look for trouble.

Also, don't be afraid to buy a car long distance with a good inspection from
a member then a PPI by a competent 914 shop.

Oh, and welcome!
Ask questions and you'll get quick answers here.
+Quote Post
d7n7master
post Jan 4 2005, 04:24 PM
Post #5

Gary#

Member No.: 421

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
Welcome!!! I would suggest having a PPI performed by a local shop... Or, maybe someone on this board - that's local to you could go with you & PPI.
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Jan 4 2005, 04:46 PM
Post #6

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

You list two areas of living that have serious rust issues for older cars. MA and FL

Good luck finding a local 914 for that price. Because at 2500 it ain't gonna happen..... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Jan 4 2005, 05:07 PM
Post #7

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

One more vote for spending more up front. One hard and fast rule in the old car game is you NEVER make back the money you spend on fixing up a car. Spending $15K on a $2K car will usually result in a $5K car, not a $17K car. So, get someone else to spend the $15K and snap up the car for $5K, or YOU'LL be the guy spending the $15K. Even if you want a project, with a $5K car the projects will be things like fixing minor electrical problems and tuning the suspension. If you buy a $2500 car, the projects will be building a rotesserie, welding in new panels, rebuilding the gearbox, etc.

And while you think now that you don't care about the interior, it's the thing you see every time you get in the car. After awhile, it really starts to bug you.
+Quote Post
cooltimes
post Jan 4 2005, 05:12 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,081

Several sources are searchable.
Start here on 914club in the classified. There is a few for sale here.

Another big place that is national
http://www.tradeonline.com/
Look under collector cars.

Prices are low to high and cover all regions of the country. One will probably be near to you.
As others say though, you are going to spend one way or the other. More if you start our wrenching to get it going.
http://www.rennlist.com, one of the other better places for some nice 914's as well as www.pelicanparts.com
Get the 914 FAQ when at Pelican Parts. It pretty well sums up what to look for.

Also, http://www.autoatlanta.com will have some of various conditions from low middle price to extreme high dollar.
No matter where you get your 914, check it for rust. They all have some so never believe anything the seller tells you if they tell you the metal parts are rust free.

Welcome to the world of 914. Most are not like me though.
Most of the others are sane.

Mike
+Quote Post
cooltimes
post Jan 4 2005, 05:20 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,081

QUOTE (cooltimes @ Jan 4 2005, 03:12 PM)
Several sources are searchable.
Start here on http://www.914world.com (main page entrance) in the classified. There are a few nice ones for sale here.

Another big place that is national
http://www.tradeonline.com/
Look under collector cars.

Prices are low to high and cover all regions of the country. One will probably be near to you.
As others say though, you are going to spend one way or the other. More if you start our wrenching to get it going.
http://www.rennlist.com, one of the other better places for some nice 914's as well as http://www.pelicanparts.com
Get the 914 FAQ when at Pelican Parts. It pretty well sums up what to look for.

Also, http://www.autoatlanta.com will have some of various conditions from low middle price to extreme high dollar.
No matter where you get your 914, check it for rust. They all have some so never believe anything the seller tells you if they tell you the metal parts are rust free.

Welcome to the world of 914. Most are not like me though.
Most of the others are sane.

Mike

My error, not
traderonline
but this pasted below.

http://www.collectorcartraderonline.com/adsearch.html
+Quote Post
Allan
post Jan 4 2005, 06:06 PM
Post #10

Teenerless Weenie

Member No.: 2,304
Region Association: Southern California

I also would highly recommend leaning towards spending more money up front on a car that has already been gone through. I thought I had a really good deal on mine "'76 2.0 California car, $2200.00". After only 7 months it has now cost closer to $5500.00 and it still isn't running. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
curtis
post Jan 4 2005, 06:10 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 2,206

If all you plan on spending on the car is 2500.00 on the initial purchase then you will be a long way from having a daily driver unless you find the little old lady that used to live in Pasadena with a 914 she has owned from day one and it has church on Sunday only miles on it and she just needs to move it for whatever because she is about to kick the bucket. These cars are not a dime a dozen any more and I agree with what (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif) the guys are saying above as far as allowing for a budget of 5-6k to start out with or you are more than likely to spend 10-15k on a 2500 car...95% likely anyway .. just my .02 cents and 18 years experience worth. Good luck! Oh yeah welcome to club!!
+Quote Post
Phil Patry
post Jan 4 2005, 06:58 PM
Post #12

I appreciate all of your help. I do agree that for $2,500 a car will have quite a few problems to take care of. I can swing about $4,000 as it is now. I’m sort of in a rush to get a driver since I have nothing right now in Florida. I know it is a bad thing to rush into buying a car, especially a classic. There is one in Hollywood that could be good going for $3,500 OBO I am going to check out when I’m back in Florida next week. It lookes like it has had quite a bit of work, but I’m a little cautious about cars converted to carbs. 914 in hollywood $3,500

~phil
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jan 4 2005, 07:20 PM
Post #13

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

go to pelican parts and print out the "914 buyers guide". familiarize yourself with the terms. take an icepick or scratch awl with you and poke around. see if there is an experienced eye in the area to help with a prepurchase inspection. even offer to pay someone for their time. it's the best money you will spend.

kevin
+Quote Post
nebreitling
post Jan 4 2005, 07:25 PM
Post #14

Member Emeritus

Member No.: 478

QUOTE (Phil Patry @ Jan 4 2005, 04:58 PM)
I’m a little cautious about cars converted to carbs.

that's wise. carbed cars with stock engines are often a sign of a mechanic/owner who couldn't fix the FI and just gave up. who knows what else they couldn't fix or neglegted...

still, check the car out -- might be a nice deal.
+Quote Post
ein 6er
post Jan 4 2005, 07:38 PM
Post #15

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 300

welcome to the club phil!!

there are a few club members down your way. also black forest racing is in delray, they do 914s, but i've haven't dealt with them in years so i can't vouch for them.

hope the one in hollywood hasn't been living outside, they won't last long outside in fl. (AMHIK).

Spending $15K on a $2K car will usually result in a $5K car, not a $17K car. So, get someone else to spend the $15K and snap up the car for $5K, or YOU'LL be the guy spending the $15K.

HAAAAA! that is well put!! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif) so true, great advice!!

good luck!!
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Jan 4 2005, 07:44 PM
Post #16

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

Phil,
Pout and get more money!!!

You should be able to find a good car for 4k somewhere.

I know a few up here, let me know when you are back, I will give you the address's

There a four in the want ad right now.
Dude, that car looks great, get it inspected by a porche/vw mechanic...or take some pics and either post them here or send them to me.
Take pics of
under the battery tray (pic from above inside the engine bay)
Take pics of both longitudinals....the basic frame section behind the rocker panels...best done on a lift, but lay down and bang on them with a screw driver....

Look in the rear trunk under the carpet closest to the tailights to check for rust
Check under the headlight buckets way down....look from inside the trunk...check for rust.
Basically make sure that any rust you find (you will find some) is easy enough to deal with.
If you bring it up here for the summer, I could help, otherwise make sure you can handle it.
Get three friends to sit in the car while you check the door gaps.
All other mechanical issues are really not that hard to fix...you are just looking for as little rust as possible.
I have engines, carbs etc no problem there.
As far as the carbs go, I can put a stock FI system back on pretty quick, or I can make sure your carbs are set up right.

Rich
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Jan 4 2005, 09:16 PM
Post #17

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

Every now and then you hear about someone finding a nice 914 for $2500, offered by someone that isn't in touch with current values. Those cars are few and far between. More often you hear about someone getting a $2500 914, that is later found to be worth much less.

With the advent of information technology and online auctions, fewer people are out of touch with real world values. This same technology though helps owners, old and new, relate information. Use this to your advantage when looking for a 914.

Find out where 914's rust and know it well. Find out how to spot accident and sloppy rust repairs. If you aren't comfortable doing this, find a shop, or someone on this board; that can you can pay or bribe to check a prospective car for you. Whatever it costs upfront is money well spent.

In reality, you'll be lucky to get a good car for $2500. Look at eBay and all the online classifieds, and you'll see what is current market value.

Good luck, and happy hunting!
+Quote Post
Phil Patry
post Jan 4 2005, 09:25 PM
Post #18

QUOTE (r_towle @ Jan 4 2005, 08:44 PM)
Phil,
Pout and get more money!!!

You should be able to find a good car for 4k somewhere.

I know a few up here, let me know when you are back, I will give you the address's

There a four in the want ad right now.
Dude, that car looks great, get it inspected by a porche/vw mechanic...or take some pics and either post them here or send them to me.
Take pics of
under the battery tray (pic from above inside the engine bay)
Take pics of both longitudinals....the basic frame section behind the rocker panels...best done on a lift, but lay down and bang on them with a screw driver....

Look in the rear trunk under the carpet closest to the tailights to check for rust
Check under the headlight buckets way down....look from inside the trunk...check for rust.
Basically make sure that any rust you find (you will find some) is easy enough to deal with.
If you bring it up here for the summer, I could help, otherwise make sure you can handle it.
Get three friends to sit in the car while you check the door gaps.
All other mechanical issues are really not that hard to fix...you are just looking for as little rust as possible.
I have engines, carbs etc no problem there.
As far as the carbs go, I can put a stock FI system back on pretty quick, or I can make sure your carbs are set up right.

Rich

Rich,

I knew you would read this at some point. I'm actually in Groton until next Monday. I'll have to stop by your neck of the woods. If there are any 914's close by I would definitely go check them out. I've got plenty of time to kill this week. As for FI I’ve got nothing against carbs (cept those god damn British ones) if they are properly set up and the rest of the car was taken well care of. As for this summer I'm moving back to Groton. Those old people are too annoying. I'll check out that car for sure when I get back to Florida.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Jan 5 2005, 08:32 AM
Post #19

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

Get the want ad.
Go to Eurosport in Stow MA. He has at least three.
I would ask him, he has many many more in storage.
Look at www.porschenet.com in the classifieds.

Come over and inspect one with me...I will show you all the bad spots to look for...as I said the mechanical stuff is very simple to fix compared to the rust. Really a hands on look at one with a flashlight etc will do alot more than a book.

Ask me in private, I know a few more.

Rich
+Quote Post
post Jan 5 2005, 10:29 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 988

I agree with what's been said, and definitly take Rich up on his offer if you can!

I'd be glad to help as well while your still in MA, but it sounds like Rich knows about more available cars than I do! If you haven't driven one of these before, try to get out and drive one as well because it's a whole different experience!

-Adam
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 03:55 AM