Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> AUTOZONE, They have 914 parts?
Mike's2nd914
post May 27 2003, 09:47 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 616

I was at autozone.com checking on some parts for my F150 and just out of curiosity, I registered my 914 and started looking for parts. I am amazed at how many parts they have for the teener! I would have never thought they would have stuff for this car. I know some of their stuff is of questionable quality, but for some stuff, its all the same and they are cheap!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tesserra
post May 27 2003, 10:54 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 479

During an autox my 2.0's starter stayed engaged
while a friend was driving the car. The flywheel ring gear spun up the starter until the windings centrifuged into the housing, then the ring gear shaved off the starter gears. The ring gears on the flywheel were ok. It was quite a catastrophic failure. Anyway, I brought it in to the electric shop I always use to rebuild my stuff and he laughed, said NO WAY, use it as a doorstop. Well I used it as a core at PEP boys for a lifetime warranty starter. They had it in stock and it was under 50 bucks. Ther was an article in Panorama about a guy that bought 928 (I think it was an alternator) parts there too. Who does there buying??
Tesserra
+Quote Post
Part Pricer
post May 28 2003, 04:43 AM
Post #3

Believe everything I post

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 35

Most of the automobile parts that end up in our hands come from one of five major wholesale parts distributors. What you are seeing when you use the parts search on the Autozone site is a front end that queries the inventories of CSK Proshop (wholesale distributor).

Very few retailers (online or otherwise) stock parts other than those that meet their turn requirements. I would even say that most online retailers don't stock any parts at all. They just act as a sales agent for the wholesaler. They don't even touch the product. It is drop-shipped from the wholesaler to you. The retailer just collects his margin.

If you have shopped around online, you have probably seen a screen similar to the one that I will attach below. That is the front end to the Worldpac system. Currently, there are around 75 online retailers that use it for fulfillment of their online orders.

I guess what I'm saying is, "Shop around". Your parts will be coming from one of just a few places. The only difference is how much money your are willing to let the retailer pocket off of your transaction.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post May 28 2003, 07:51 AM
Post #4

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

One of the reasons I shop at GPR, HPH and Parts Obsolete is because they stock the parts and if you call they actually know what you are talking about on a 914. They make sure you get the right part the first time. Real honest to god old school parts houses. I use Pelican (a drop ship place) sometimes because they have a good easy to use online catalog.
Order from the little guys to keep them in business. If you call they sometimes adjust their pricing to match.
Geoff
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:58 PM