Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Speedometer upgrade, No more broken cables or angle drives
ClayPerrine
post Feb 12 2014, 02:47 PM
Post #1

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

I found something online that I wanted to try:

Attached Image

I bought one and wired it to my factory 911 speedometer.

I wired it like this:

Attached Image

The white wires are from a 12v DC transformer, used to bench test it. The Positive is on the left, and the negative is on the right. The Autometer module is wired to the same positive and negative lugs, and the purple wire from the Autometer is connected to the speedo input. The other speedo input is jumped to ground.

Running the calibration procedure in a bench test, found here , I was able to get the speedo to read exactly 80 mph, and the odometer was working too.

The next step is to test it in a vehicle.

The heavy wires from the positive and negative go to an old cigarette lighter plug that I will use to test it in my truck, comparing the output with the truck's speedo, and my android app "gps speedometer".

If everything works as I expect, I can remove the speedo cable and angle drive from my car. I will probably plug the speedo output in the gearbox to prevent any gear oil leaks.

I will update this when I run the second test.

I will keep you updated on the results.
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
timothy_nd28
post Feb 12 2014, 02:52 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,154
Region Association: Upper MidWest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
flipb
post Feb 12 2014, 03:05 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 10,752
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I drive my DD every day with the speed showing in my GPS app. It's generally very good and helps me figure out the speedometer error.

But once in a while, around tall buildings or while driving past certain high-electromagnetic-interference facilities (ahem) in the DC Metro area, it goes a little haywire -- like showing 25mph one second, 78mph the next.

Also, it won't function in tunnels if that's a concern in your neck of the woods.

Still curious though, since it's purpose-built for speed tracking with a high refresh rate, maybe it'll be better.

I second the (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Feb 12 2014, 03:10 PM
Post #4

There are very few tunnels in my area. And I can generally maintain my speed with the Tachometer.

Plus, I won't have to worry about odometer correction for rallys, and I can put in a small switch to turn off the speedo for track events.

+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Feb 12 2014, 04:29 PM
Post #5

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

Please tell me you'll use a better crimper for the final connections...

--DD
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Feb 12 2014, 04:30 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,527
Region Association: South East States

Interesting, but does that mean the trip meter is disabled?
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Feb 12 2014, 04:36 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Feb 12 2014, 04:29 PM) *

Please tell me you'll use a better crimper for the final connections...

--DD

Dave... You know me better than that. This is just a test rig.

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Feb 12 2014, 04:30 PM) *

Interesting, but does that mean the trip meter is disabled?

The odometer and the trip meter worked great when I ran the calibration sequence.

+Quote Post
monkeyboy
post Feb 12 2014, 04:42 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 9,147
Region Association: None

I have been discussing this for a while with Tim... I am patiently awaiting your tests.

I notice that VDO sells their own GPS sending unit. I was thinking of going that way since it's all one brand, but if this works for you I will go that way.

Good Luck!
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Feb 12 2014, 05:01 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(monkeyboy @ Feb 12 2014, 04:42 PM) *

I have been discussing this for a while with Tim... I am patiently awaiting your tests.

I notice that VDO sells their own GPS sending unit. I was thinking of going that way since it's all one brand, but if this works for you I will go that way.

Good Luck!

I will sell you the VDO unit I bought if you want it. But it won't work with a 911 speedo. It will send the signal, but it pegs the speedo at anything over 20 MPH.

And there is no way to calibrate it.

+Quote Post
struckn
post Feb 12 2014, 05:38 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 13,764
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Not sure I understand how it would work with a stock 914 Speedometer. Isn't it a mechanical gear driven device needing the cable to operate.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
pcar916
post Feb 12 2014, 06:23 PM
Post #11

Is that a Lola?

Member No.: 4,188

This is really neat. I've been using the "Dashboard" screen on my Garmin for years and don't put speedo drive gears in my transaxles any more. I hadn't considered an Autometer speedo to match the tach. Hmmm.

+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Feb 12 2014, 08:41 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(struckn @ Feb 12 2014, 05:38 PM) *

Not sure I understand how it would work with a stock 914 Speedometer. Isn't it a mechanical gear driven device needing the cable to operate.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Yes, a stock 914 speedometer is mechanical. A later model 911 speedometer is electronic. It uses a disk with magnets on the side of the differential inside the transmission, and a "puck" (aka a coil of wire) to generate a small pulse of electricity when the magnets pass by. That is sent to the speedometer, where it is interpreted by the electronics to indicate the speed of the car.

I replace the puck and the wiring with the GPS box. The GPS box output sends a pulse to the speedometer. Grounding the other side of the signal input gives it a full circuit, and the speedometer responds just like it was hooked to the puck.

Update: I took the test rig out in the truck this evening. I put the GPS antenna on top of the dash, and the speedometer in the trash can pointing up. It worked! I realized that the transformer I used in the house to calibrate it may not have contained a full wave rectifier, and that induced pulses into the speedometer. It affected the calibration.. it was off by 2 mph. The update was as smooth and as quick as a standard cable operated speedometer. The only drawback is that if you jump in and take off real quick, the GPS box needs a couple of seconds to find the satellites, so the speedometer will appear dead for 15 seconds. Then it jumps up to the proper speed.

When I built the wiring harness for my dash, I included power and ground wires for an electronic speedometer. So this weekend I will be installing it into my car, and removing the speedometer cable and angle drive.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif)(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif)
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Feb 12 2014, 08:48 PM
Post #13

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

Nice Clay (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif) can you please define "later model 911?"
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Feb 12 2014, 08:52 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104

Could you hook it up to a HUD?
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Feb 12 2014, 09:48 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Feb 12 2014, 08:48 PM) *

Nice Clay (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif) can you please define "later model 911?"

Mine came from a 76 911. But the easy way is to look at the face of the speedometer. It will have a reset button at the bottom, and under the VDO logo it will say "Electronic".

QUOTE(Krieger @ Feb 12 2014, 08:52 PM) *

Could you hook it up to a HUD?

I suppose you could. But I was not looking for that.

+Quote Post
monkeyboy
post Feb 13 2014, 01:08 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 9,147

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 12 2014, 03:01 PM) *

QUOTE(monkeyboy @ Feb 12 2014, 04:42 PM) *

Good Luck!

I will sell you the VDO unit I bought if you want it. But it won't work with a 911 speedo. It will send the signal, but it pegs the speedo at anything over 20 MPH.

And there is no way to calibrate it.

No thanks. But thank you for the warning.
+Quote Post
rmdinmd
post Feb 13 2014, 02:36 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 16,585
Region Association: South East States

my 914 came with this when I bought it.
Attached Image
It is a GPS speedometer and works pretty good. Of course there is the delay upon start up and it doesn't work in the tunnels.
+Quote Post
Madswede
post Feb 13 2014, 05:42 PM
Post #18

Flat Out Driver

Member No.: 6,831
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I've outrun the GPS speedo app on my iPhone. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

But in reality, that's probably just a software programming issue with the timing of it pinging the satellite(s). I mean, my car is quick, but it shouldn't be THAT noticeable.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Feb 13 2014, 07:28 PM
Post #19

I ran around all day today with it in my truck. It worked fine. No delay when comparing it with the truck's stock speedometer.

Unlike your phone, this was designed to be a speedometer sender. So the update rate is very high, it doesn't have a delay.

+Quote Post
mikesmith
post Feb 14 2014, 11:34 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 16,354

QUOTE(Madswede @ Feb 13 2014, 03:42 PM) *

I've outrun the GPS speedo app on my iPhone. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

But in reality, that's probably just a software programming issue with the timing of it pinging the satellite(s). I mean, my car is quick, but it shouldn't be THAT noticeable.

GPS doesn't work like that. The receiver is passive, it doesn't "ping" the satellites, it's just listening to them talk.

The app may have some silly restrictions in it about how high a speed it will display; might be something as simple as UI layout, or some stupid law about encouraging speeding like the one that prevents the roadside "this is your speed" display from showing more than ~15mph over.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 10:27 AM