Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A jake Raby engine, Need more power
Ronnie J
post Jan 5 2005, 08:25 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,039

I don't know if this is appropriate but I want to purchase a Jake Raby engine hopefully a 2056 or a 2270 performer (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/drooley.gif) What can I expect to pay?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Jan 5 2005, 08:47 PM
Post #2

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

depends on what you order, so call Jake for a price. each engine is custom soo a custom price.

Its not gonna be $2500 I can tell you that,

Geoff
+Quote Post
seanery
post Jan 5 2005, 08:54 PM
Post #3

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100
Region Association: None

i'd guess it's close to $4-5 per cc.
+Quote Post
newdeal2
post Jan 5 2005, 10:11 PM
Post #4

Unregistered

For the 2270 $8,000 +++ depending on add ons [carbs, EFI, etc.].

Just email him with your requirements. If it were me I would definitely go with the 2270. The best all around performer (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Jan 5 2005, 11:02 PM
Post #5

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

Don't get misinformation from here or any other site/forum.

EVERY build is different! Different cores are involved, different options apply and all this makes it impossible for standard pricing.

Schedule a phone call with me to get a priced locked in, they are going up quarterly as a general rule due to every development we make increasing the time the build requires.

Seven years ago we could build two damn good 2270s per week...... Now I schedule one engine to be built every TWO weeks!!!! The 2005 version makes 15-20% more power, runs 25 degrees cooler and gets 10 MPG more than the old version that was also exceptional.

Refinements take research to find and its worthless to do the research without applying what we learn from it! Heck, most engines get 30 bucks worth of fuel ran through them on the dyno these days.

Open the wallet a little further and do it all right- Or end up a statistic with a sobstory and drained bank account to boot!

Its cheaper to do it my way- trust me.
+Quote Post
Qarl
post Jan 5 2005, 11:12 PM
Post #6

Shriveled member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 271
Region Association: None

What Jake is trying to say, is that you will have to spread your cheeks a little wider....

haha...

Just kidding!

Qarl
+Quote Post
ChrisReale
post Jan 5 2005, 11:35 PM
Post #7

Sleazy

Member No.: 176

QUOTE (Qarl @ Jan 5 2005, 09:12 PM)
What Jake is trying to say, is that you will have to spread your cheeks a little wider....

Qarl, is that with or without vasoline?
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Jan 5 2005, 11:55 PM
Post #8

Engine Surgeon

Gear oil works best!

Heck, I'm within a hair of giving up on the 914 following altogether. One more year like we had with 914 sales in 2004 and they will be history in the custom engine department here.

The things we do with these engines are much more appreciated by beetle and 356 fans than the 914 guys.. Perhaps thats because it is so superior to what they had in their car to begin with.
+Quote Post
MattR
post Jan 6 2005, 12:04 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,589
Region Association: Northern California

T4 in a 356? Kit cars? Or are you doing your thing to 1.6 Porsche engines?
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Jan 6 2005, 12:08 AM
Post #10

Engine Surgeon

Almost all 356 and Beetle conversions to the Type IV engine....

And right now 70% of all my jobs in work are going to Europe (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/boldblue.gif)
+Quote Post
anthony
post Jan 6 2005, 12:13 AM
Post #11

2270 club

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 218

Jake, you keep busting our balls calling us cheapskates. I think the problem is that the 914 market for what you do is just so much smaller than the custom bug market. Those bug guys have huge shows where hundreds of expensive custom cars show up. Even in California where there is the largest concentration of 914s, we are lucky to get 50-60 cars show up for a once a year huge event like the WCC.

I've only known about you for a couple years because of these types of online forums. I will be a customer some day. I'm just not that motivated right now with a good running stock engine. I think a lot of people here, if in need, would buy an engine from you in a heartbeat assuming they had the funds.

I also bet that a lot of people here are on the fence, waiting to see what you'll be selling on your website in the near future. You've been talking about it for a while now and many of us are waiting to see what you will have for us.
+Quote Post
MattR
post Jan 6 2005, 12:23 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,589
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Jan 5 2005, 10:08 PM)
Almost all 356 and Beetle conversions to the Type IV engine....

Oh, I didnt know that. Well I knew the beetle conversions went to T4... but the only fake 356 Ive worked on had a T1. Shows what I know. Ah well, I'll stick to 9xx cars (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
markb
post Jan 6 2005, 02:12 AM
Post #13

914less :(

Member No.: 180
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE (anthony @ Jan 5 2005, 10:13 PM)
Jake, you keep busting our balls calling us cheapskates. I think the problem is that the 914 market for what you do is just so much smaller than the custom bug market. Those bug guys have huge shows where hundreds of expensive custom cars show up. Even in California where there is the largest concentration of 914s, we are lucky to get 50-60 cars show up for a once a year huge event like the WCC.

I've only known about you for a couple years because of these types of online forums. I will be a customer some day. I'm just not that motivated right now with a good running stock engine. I think a lot of people here, if in need, would buy an engine from you in a heartbeat assuming they had the funds.

I hate to say it, Jake, but I agree with anthony.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
nebreitling
post Jan 6 2005, 02:39 AM
Post #14

Member Emeritus

Member No.: 478

yup, i would imagine that there is simply not a huge market for 914's. that's alright. give it another 20 years -- the market won't get any bigger but it will get more $$$.

meanwhile, you can't blame a man for following the market, and you can't blame the market for not following you.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/givemebeer.gif)
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Jan 6 2005, 06:19 AM
Post #15

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Refinements take research to find and its worthless to do the research without applying what we learn from it! Heck, most engines get 30 bucks worth of fuel ran through them on the dyno these days.

Jake , Newbie Question, Dont you have tried and proven reciepes for your T4 motors , Every motor can't be a reseach platform. Wouldnt this make the price somewhat stable?
I understand it depends on what you want . There is a lot of variables.
Maybe that is why the six conversion is so popular. There is a lot of motor combinations right from the factory .
Take a look at what motors Kerry and Trekkor ,one more he is using the same ,are useing Old 2.0 sixes . that are older than the car. The price of all the conversion stuff stays pretty much the same ,but when some one inquires about a T4 , It always a mystery.
I want 160Hp 6600rpm 130lbft torque, rev limit7200
Carbs . semi daily driver/auto crosser for fun.
How many hours would this combo be good for ?

I am asking cause I would like to be in the know , instead of promoting the 6 all the time. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/drunk.gif)

I know those old 6 motors ,arnt new and they will need $$$
I have done alot of 6 motors no mystery. Jeff
+Quote Post
mike_the_man
post Jan 6 2005, 09:22 AM
Post #16

I like stuff!

Member No.: 809

QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Jan 5 2005, 09:55 PM)
Heck, I'm within a hair of giving up on the 914 following altogether. One more year like we had with 914 sales in 2004 and they will be history in the custom engine department here.

Don't give up on the 914s Jake. I still hope to buy one of your engines someday, I just can't afford it right now. I was hoping that in 2-3 years I'd have the available cash.

I guess that you do what you have to do. If you're not selling any engines to us cheap 914 guys, then there's not much point in developing them. If I can still get an engine from you when I have the cashola, then good. If not, I'll have to do something silly like put in a 6, or a V8. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/driving.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 08:56 AM