Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Triangle window seal installPic of late directions for both, How to - tools needed - other items
BeatNavy
post Jun 12 2016, 04:26 PM
Post #41

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,042
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 11 2016, 09:23 PM) *

You can cut a relief in the back of the seal or remove the metal bracket. Mine are a replica of the ones currently available OEM.

Thanks, Mark. Spent several frustrating hours today working on this. I initially tried to cut a relief and push the tab through the slit I made, but that didn't work particularly well. I managed to get the passenger side on, but I'm not happy with how it turned out.

On the driver's side I just removed the metal brackets and installed that way. It was easier to install and turned out better, I think. Time will tell if removing those tabs will cause any issues in terms of window stability. I think I'll go back and re-do the passenger side and just use adhesive to seal up the slit I cut in the seal. Anyone with an early car should probably just remove those tabs before installing the triangle seals. These seals are very well made, and I recommend them (like all 914Rubber solutions). But just know that you'll probably have to remove the two tabs when installing these.

FWIW, here's a picture of the early seal with the tab that inserts into the seal. The bottom picture is the front seal relief. If you want these old seals for reference, Mark, I'll gladly send them to you, but I'm not sure you want more tooling costs (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached Image
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
roland914
post Jul 13 2018, 12:32 AM
Post #42

Member No.: 12,478

Thanks guys for your input, Was trying to do the vent window with the window regulator and glass in its proper location, will loosen them up and try the ways suggested. Appreciate the prompt response and help....THANKS so much!!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jul 13 2018, 09:37 AM
Post #43

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Jun 12 2016, 03:26 PM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 11 2016, 09:23 PM) *

You can cut a relief in the back of the seal or remove the metal bracket. Mine are a replica of the ones currently available OEM.

Thanks, Mark. Spent several frustrating hours today working on this. I initially tried to cut a relief and push the tab through the slit I made, but that didn't work particularly well. I managed to get the passenger side on, but I'm not happy with how it turned out.

On the driver's side I just removed the metal brackets and installed that way. It was easier to install and turned out better, I think. Time will tell if removing those tabs will cause any issues in terms of window stability. I think I'll go back and re-do the passenger side and just use adhesive to seal up the slit I cut in the seal. Anyone with an early car should probably just remove those tabs before installing the triangle seals. These seals are very well made, and I recommend them (like all 914Rubber solutions). But just know that you'll probably have to remove the two tabs when installing these.

FWIW, here's a picture of the early seal with the tab that inserts into the seal. The bottom picture is the front seal relief. If you want these old seals for reference, Mark, I'll gladly send them to you, but I'm not sure you want more tooling costs (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached Image
Attached Image

I do realize that the rubber that hold the window in can be quite frustrating to install. Matt is finishing up the video for the install on these and he speaks specifically about this area and how and why you should modify this area. Sorry we have not got that together yet but it will be very clear as you can see how it promotes rust. I think this may be why they eliminated it in the later years.

Mark
+Quote Post
roland914
post Jul 17 2018, 01:00 AM
Post #44

Member No.: 12,478

Up date Guys, took the window regulator, door glass and rear vertical track and worked with the vertical triangle bar and glass with the new rubber together as it was pictured in these posts and got the triangle glass in snug as a bug in the forward part of the door first. Then worked with the regulator, door glass, and rails, in wrapping it up. The Saran wrap trick in holding the glass to the vertical post with the rubber was a good idea, was using rubber bands and that did not work as the rubber bands kept sliding towards the shallow end of the triange. Got the drivers side done, passenger side next to tackle.
THANKS for all your help and input!!! When I get this together will post some picturs, as this is on my bucket list!
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:53 AM