Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

27 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OKTEENERFEST 2014 - 914 Gathering and Can Am Reunion, 50+ 914s invading Townsend and the Smokies!
naro914
post Mar 10 2014, 08:20 AM
Post #21

Losing my mind...

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,073
Region Association: South East States

Talked to the hotel over the weekend, seems a lot of you have already booked a room!!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post Mar 10 2014, 04:37 PM
Post #22

T4 Supercharged

Member No.: 10,419

QUOTE(naro914 @ Mar 10 2014, 09:20 AM) *
Talked to the hotel over the weekend, seems a lot of you have already booked a room!!

The smart ones are booking early. I have a feeling we will be overflowing into the nearby hotels this year. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Mar 14 2014, 02:52 PM
Post #23

LUFTBRIGADE

Member No.: 15,092

YES!!! I found out about Okteenerfest a week after it ended! I've owned 3 914s in the last 12 years but never driven one out of town in fear of breaking down or not starting for one reason or another at any given moment. I've never been able to go to a 914 meet and have always wanted to. And with remaining Creamsicle drivers in the mid double digits, I think Valentine and I may need an Okteener weekend holiday getaway!

I. AM. STOKED!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grouphug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

PS - Can I bring Magnus? He wants to buy a 914 now! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post Mar 14 2014, 03:27 PM
Post #24

T4 Supercharged

Would love to see you and Valentine at Okteenerfest this year (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)
And if Magnus shows up WITH a 914 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)
Did you tell him about the event?

+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Mar 14 2014, 03:38 PM
Post #25

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I'm thinking about it... trying to see if I can arrange a truck & enclosed trailer

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post Mar 14 2014, 03:40 PM
Post #26

T4 Supercharged

Would love to see your Creamsicle. Mine also has the tan interior. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Mar 14 2014, 03:44 PM
Post #27

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Mar 14 2014, 05:40 PM) *

Would love to see your Creamsicle. Mine also has the tan interior. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Rarest of the rare (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
Got lucky & found a member here on the world who turned his into a racecar down in Roanoke, Va & he traded me his old cinnamon interior for some parts I pulled off of my six. That interior is now in my six (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Mar 14 2014, 04:14 PM
Post #28

LUFTBRIGADE

QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Mar 14 2014, 04:27 PM) *

Would love to see you and Valentine at Okteenerfest this year (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)
And if Magnus shows up WITH a 914 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)
Did you tell him about the event?

I'd love to go and meet you guys! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

No, I just saw the thread for it from a link in another thread. But I can let him know. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Mar 14 2014, 04:55 PM
Post #29

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871

Room reserved!
+Quote Post
hot_shoe914
post Mar 14 2014, 08:11 PM
Post #30

on ramp passer

Member No.: 8,354
Region Association: None

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Mar 17 2014, 12:56 PM
Post #31

LUFTBRIGADE

BOOKED! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Now I just hope my car will make it from FL. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Mar 17 2014, 01:03 PM
Post #32

Car Hoarder!

QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Mar 17 2014, 02:56 PM) *

Now I just hope my car will make it from FL. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

You coming up I-95 to I-26? You can meet up with Phil W just over the SC-GA line and I'll join in around Columbia. There's safety in a convoy! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
JawjaPorsche
post Mar 17 2014, 01:12 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,351

Just Booked My Room Too! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Mar 17 2014, 01:18 PM
Post #34

LUFTBRIGADE

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Mar 17 2014, 02:03 PM) *

You coming up I-95 to I-26? You can meet up with Phil W just over the SC-GA line and I'll join in around Columbia. There's safety in a convoy! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

That sounds like a great idea! I can take two routes: I-95 N to I-26 W (your way) or I-75 N. There's only a 10 mile/10 minute difference between the two. So yeah, whichever route we can caravan would be great! I've had 3 914s and never once driven one out of town (not counting St. Augustine which is just 26 minutes away) for fear of anything going wrong at any minute and getting stranded. I've been stranded enough in town with 914s, let alone out of town. I just hope it will make it without problems. It's still not 100%. Sometimes the power hiccups, occasionally it screeches when I try to start it and once in a great while, it won't turn over after it gets hot. So keeping my fingers crossed I can make it there and back. I wish I had something I could trailer it with. Maybe I should take out long distance towing insurance like AAA before I go just in case. But yeah, that would be great to caravan up there for sure! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

PS - Who's Phil W?
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Mar 17 2014, 01:31 PM
Post #35

Car Hoarder!

QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Mar 17 2014, 03:18 PM) *

That sounds like a great idea! I can take two routes: I-95 N to I-26 W (your way) or I-75 N. There's only a 10 mile/10 minute difference between the two. So yeah, whichever route we can caravan would be great! I've had 3 914s and never once driven one out of town (not counting St. Augustine which is just 26 minutes away) for fear of anything going wrong at any minute and getting stranded. I've been stranded enough in town with 914s, let alone out of town. I just hope it will make it without problems. It's still not 100%. Sometimes the power hiccups, occasionally it screeches when I try to start it and once in a great while, it won't turn over after it gets hot. So keeping my fingers crossed I can make it there and back. I wish I had something I could trailer it with. Maybe I should take out long distance towing insurance like AAA before I go just in case. But yeah, that would be great to caravan up there for sure! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Everyone's risk tolerance is different; but, it's really not that risky.

First, anyone with a classic car should have AAA 100+ mile towing.

I don't know what's south of Savannah; however, once you get into SC I know several shops between here and TN that can work on a 914. Phil has a 2.0L with FI so between the two of you carrying spare parts most likely someone will have a part if needed.

Don't forget that once you're at the venue there will be 914 experts everywhere.

So, take a chance and make the trip. Last year's trip was the farthest I had ever driven a 914. The car ran great and I actually became more comfortable with the car than I had ever been before! These cars are meant to be driven. In the case of my car, the more I drove it the better it ran...seriously!

And, btw, you may want to make sure you have a working radio. I love the sound of my 6; however, I can tell you that after a few hours of driving I was pretty much over it for that day! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Mar 17 2014, 01:45 PM
Post #36

LUFTBRIGADE

Yeah, I agree. I haven't gotten AAA because I felt it would be safer to not drive it out of town. But, in this case, I will get it right before I go for peace of mind. I also need to figure out what kind of fire extinguisher to get for my car just in case. I also want to add a second oil cooler as well since I'll be driving at high rpms for a long time. Need to figure out which kind/size to get. I'm also going to check the brakes close to then and go ahead and get new tires for it soon so by then they will be nice and sticky in case those twisty roads are wet. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Oh yeah, and my radio works and is OG. But of course, I can barely hear it at 80 mph. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Mar 17 2014, 01:55 PM
Post #37

LUFTBRIGADE

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Mar 14 2014, 04:38 PM) *

I'm thinking about it... trying to see if I can arrange a truck & enclosed trailer

Any luck? I may be interested in doing the same thing. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Mar 17 2014, 02:00 PM
Post #38

Car Hoarder!

QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Mar 17 2014, 03:45 PM) *

Yeah, I agree. I haven't gotten AAA because I felt it would be safer to not drive it out of town. But, in this case, I will get it right before I go for peace of mind. I also need to figure out what kind of fire extinguisher to get for my car just in case. I also want to add a second oil cooler as well since I'll be driving at high rpms for a long time. Need to figure out which kind/size to get. I'm also going to check the brakes close to then and go ahead and get new tires for it soon so by then they will be nice and sticky in case those twisty roads are wet. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Oh yeah, and my radio works and is OG. But of course, I can barely hear it at 80 mph. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

The only time I saw higher oil temps was on the long uphill grades in the mountains of NC/TN. Even they, they weren't that high.

I'm running the factory engine mounted engine cooler on my 6 (similar to what your 2.0 has) so I doubt you'll have an issue.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Mar 17 2014, 02:03 PM
Post #39

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106

last long trip i took it was 95 degrees and i drove to Port Orange FLA- ran great!, looking forward to this trip, its been a couple years since i took it on a good drive. - i will travel with some extra parts for sure! i have an extra distributor with new points, extra MPS etc. for 2.0 tools etc. never had to use the extras but most of that stuff is brand new anyway. Would be great to get a few of us together for the way up!

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Mar 17 2014, 03:31 PM) *

QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Mar 17 2014, 03:18 PM) *

Everyone's risk tolerance is different; but, it's really not that risky.

First, anyone with a classic car should have AAA 100+ mile towing.

I don't know what's south of Savannah; however, once you get into SC I know several shops between here and TN that can work on a 914. Phil has a 2.0L with FI so between the two of you carrying spare parts most likely someone will have a part if needed.

Don't forget that once you're at the venue there will be 914 experts everywhere.

So, take a chance and make the trip. Last year's trip was the farthest I had ever driven a 914. The car ran great and I actually became more comfortable with the car than I had ever been before! These cars are meant to be driven. In the case of my car, the more I drove it the better it ran...seriously!

And, btw, you may want to make sure you have a working radio. I love the sound of my 6; however, I can tell you that after a few hours of driving I was pretty much over it for that day! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

+Quote Post
billh1963
post Mar 17 2014, 02:07 PM
Post #40

Car Hoarder!

Phil...if yours didn't overheat then you both should be good. I forgot that I do have about 9 or 10 quarts of oil which aids in the cooling process
+Quote Post

27 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 08:58 PM