Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

27 Pages V « < 11 12 13 14 15 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OKTEENERFEST 2014 - 914 Gathering and Can Am Reunion, 50+ 914s invading Townsend and the Smokies!
naro914
post Aug 14 2014, 06:24 AM
Post #241

Losing my mind...

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,073
Region Association: South East States

^^ Ha! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) You're getting delusional again... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Aug 14 2014, 07:28 AM
Post #242

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,438

A little sponsorship update!

Our buddy Dave at Maddogs Motor Sports has hooked us up with a little heavy metal by sending front sway bar mounts, front sway bar mount reinforcement panels, a rear trailing arm box kit, and a early rear sway bar mount kit.

If you are looking to stiffen up your 914 you will want these! Grab a few of Dave's other parts and you will be ready to tame the Dragon!

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Aug 14 2014, 07:31 AM
Post #243

Advanced Member

Pelican Parts has sent in some great items! Porsche Design sunglasses ($175), cleaning kits, and $50 gift certificates. Thanks Mark!

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Aug 14 2014, 07:38 AM
Post #244

Advanced Member

Ecklers Automotion has sent in some really cool Porsche hats and two $50 gift certificates.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Aug 14 2014, 07:45 AM
Post #245

Advanced Member

Anyone excited yet? The wiring genius Jeff Bowlsby has sent a $90 gift certificate that could bring that new FI harness a little closer and two wiper delay relays!

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Aug 14 2014, 07:51 AM
Post #246

Advanced Member

Our friends at Brake Dust Repellant have sent some of their products. I have used the repellant and it works really well. There will be product available to try out before driving the Dragon if you want to see if it works.

Attached Image

More to come!
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Aug 14 2014, 08:28 AM
Post #247

LUFTBRIGADE

Member No.: 15,092

I can't believe I'm going to miss this. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
carr914
post Aug 14 2014, 09:22 AM
Post #248

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623

Really wish I could make this event - I promise I will try to get there next year.
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Aug 14 2014, 10:20 AM
Post #249

LUFTBRIGADE

Member No.: 15,092

Yeah, but you only turn 40 once. :/

Coincidentally, I turned 40 three days after my LE did. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
naro914
post Aug 14 2014, 01:45 PM
Post #250

Losing my mind...

QUOTE(carr914 @ Aug 14 2014, 11:22 AM) *

Really wish I could make this event - I promise I will try to get there next year.

Hmmm....heard that before (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

QUOTE(carr914 @ Sep 11 2013, 07:36 PM) *

You Guys are doing a Great Job! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif) - Keep up the Great Work so I can join in in '14 with a running carr

Just harassing you...Really wish you could make it TC...
+Quote Post
naro914
post Aug 14 2014, 01:50 PM
Post #251

Losing my mind...

Speaking of people that said they were coming this year....

Hey Shoe...where are you?
+Quote Post
carr914
post Aug 14 2014, 02:19 PM
Post #252

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

QUOTE(naro914 @ Aug 14 2014, 03:45 PM) *

QUOTE(carr914 @ Aug 14 2014, 11:22 AM) *

Hmmm....heard that before (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

QUOTE(carr914 @ Sep 11 2013, 07:36 PM) *

You Guys are doing a Great Job! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif) - Keep up the Great Work so I can join in in '14 with a running carr

Just harassing you...Really wish you could make it TC...

The problem is my Race Schedule & the ability to get time off from work.

I'm taking tomorrow off to break my 914 out of Paint Prison
Next Friday, I've got to go to Roebling Road for a Test n Tune
Next Month I've got an Endurance Race - the week before the Fest
November a Vintage Race
December a Vintage Race
I've got some DE days in there as well
+Quote Post
naro914
post Aug 14 2014, 02:29 PM
Post #253

Losing my mind...

OK, I can't harass you too much...you'll be driving/racing. I'd do that too.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

My upcoming weekends:
Autocross this weekend - test out Huey's new engine, cams, chip, etc
IMSA race at VIR next weekend- crew for Autometrics in Conti race
Peachstate PCA Rennfest Labor day weekend - show, rally, autocross (shooting for FTD)
Test day at CMP for the new built engine/oil system in Papa Smurf Sept 6
Dragon Hill Climb the next weekend Sept 13-14
DE the next Sept 20-21
Okteenerfest Sept 26-28
Petit LeMans Oct 4-5

Somewhere in all this...we actually have to get everything together to RUN Okteenerfest... I see long nights ahead in September..
+Quote Post
carr914
post Aug 14 2014, 03:31 PM
Post #254

Racer from Birth

Is Petit LeMans earlier this year or is it me? I can't make that either! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
Rrrockhound
post Aug 14 2014, 04:29 PM
Post #255

Member No.: 5,213
Region Association: None

Ending my 6-year lurk to say I'm thinking of joining you all (haven't logged on here since 2008--where does the time go?) Just one question-- Last fall I took my Miata out with a local Miata group for a drive around SE Ohio. It was a fun time but the group got a little crazy...blowing stop signs, stopping traffic, that kind of thing. This was right after those motorcyclists in Manhattan were caught on video doing stunts on public streets and then ganging up on the Range Rover driver. People were yelling at us and I got pretty uncomfortable so I eventually backed off and finished the drive solo.

Can anybody give me an honest assessment what this drive will be like? Not trying to start a flame war here--if some folks like to drive like described above, so be it. I just need to know what level of intensity to expect.
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post Aug 14 2014, 05:23 PM
Post #256

T4 Supercharged

Member No.: 10,419

QUOTE(Rrrockhound @ Aug 14 2014, 06:29 PM) *
Can anybody give me an honest assessment what this drive will be like? Not trying to start a flame war here--if some folks like to drive like described above, so be it. I just need to know what level of intensity to expect.

As one of the co-founders of this event, I can tell you that we absolutely frown on such shenanigans. Okteenerfest is not a race (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
That being said, individuals will do what they will (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
Getting pulled over in a federal area for speeding, reckless driving, etc (Foothills Parkway, Cherokee, Great Smoky Mtns National Park, and Little River Road are all federal lands and a large chunk of the drive) can be very expensive (IMG:style_emoticons/default/busted_cop.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/busted.gif)
We promote safe, fun, spirited driving and encourage people to drive at their own pace (though we do have a few scheduled stops). Many of you will never have been to the Smokies before. Go ahead and stop and enjoy the views. We'll see you at the hotel in the evening if not sooner (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I, too, have been to events where some participants have driven like maniacs. I did like you... backed off and drove the route at a much slower pace. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

I am sure some of last year's attendees will chime in here (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Aug 14 2014, 05:25 PM
Post #257

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Rrrockhound @ Aug 14 2014, 02:29 PM) *

Ending my 6-year lurk to say I'm thinking of joining you all (haven't logged on here since 2008--where does the time go?) Just one question-- Last fall I took my Miata out with a local Miata group for a drive around SE Ohio. It was a fun time but the group got a little crazy...blowing stop signs, stopping traffic, that kind of thing. This was right after those motorcyclists in Manhattan were caught on video doing stunts on public streets and then ganging up on the Range Rover driver. People were yelling at us and I got pretty uncomfortable so I eventually backed off and finished the drive solo.

I can tell you that the intent of the drive is to finish it safely. Most of the roads we will be on don't lend themselves to over aggressive driving. Last year, I thought it was extremely mellow. Don't get me wrong there are lots of challenging roads. Lots of fun to be had. But I did not see any highly aggressive driving. I am sure others will chime in but I don't think there will be any concers like you mentioned. Also there is usually a pretty good police presence on the Dragon which deters the idiots.
+Quote Post
Clemson
post Aug 14 2014, 05:38 PM
Post #258

1974 914 1.8 1987 911 cab 2002 Audi S6 avant

Member No.: 17,288

QUOTE(carr914 @ Aug 14 2014, 05:31 PM) *

Is Petit LeMans earlier this year or is it me? I can't make that either! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Petit LeMans is the next weekend. I am going to both.
+Quote Post
naro914
post Aug 14 2014, 07:58 PM
Post #259

Losing my mind...

So, lets complete the organizing team comments here:

This is an official PCA 914 Registry event run under the rules and insurance of PCA, so stupid or wreckless behavior is not tolerated. If you're speeding and get caught...you're on your own (and will be summarily chastised and made fun of publicly). We are here to have a fun and safe weekend. No, we are not boring and anal old fogies - we didn't put a 3.2 engine with 964 cams, ported heads and Steve Wong chip in the car to poke along - but we ARE a very safe group. We aim to have fun, but not be reckless.

As Steve said, we encourage people to drive at their own pace, stop, enjoy the scenery, have fun. Heck, stay in 1st gear and follow Clay all trip, no problem!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) We get our need for speed fix on the track or in the hill climb events we run. This is a relaxing fun weekend for us.

Rrrockhound...we really look forward to you joining us!!

Oh, and yes, that is a very fair concern and I'm glad you brought it up. FYI, I used to be the Carolinas Region President, then PCA Zone 3 Representative. Technically, it was my job to make sure everyone followed the rules, so i've certainly seen my fair share of stupid behavior....like I said, that will not be tolerated...
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Aug 14 2014, 09:53 PM
Post #260

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

Last time we were up there was for MUSR 11, and I had to drive back to the hotel on the Dragon with a broken clutch cable. So I was stuck in 3rd gear. Had a guy in a new Corvette that, for some reason, kept running up behind me on the straight bits, but kept disappearing when the road started to turn. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) So if you choose to stay in first gear, you will be left behind. Quite quickly I might add.

Oh.. and my rebuilt speedometer came in today. I love what North Hollywood Speedometer did for me. I took one look at it and said Oh Wow! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post

27 Pages V « < 11 12 13 14 15 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 01:33 AM