Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> An "interesting" meeting with zack914, AT this point I don't know what to expect. .
toolguy
post Mar 7 2014, 01:33 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,889
Region Association: Southern California

Zack914 with 4 posts has been asking for a 914-6 for a while on the board. . I get an email about mine. . . we exchange email info on the car.

He said his name is XXXXX and uses a email id in the same name. He says he just sold his business, has full cash available, and wants a nice 914-6 to drive . . . Red Flag No. 1. . .
=========================================
Personal Message
zack914
Toolguy
Ill buy it for 87k have cash ready and can pickup this weekend
Please call and arrange at HIS NUMBER

===========================================
My immediate thought was 'Nigerian Prince' thingy. . A few more emails and we talk. . . So he takes the car at asking price and I include multiple spare original parts. We agree on a pick-up date one week out. I tell him I have a custom trailer available also and give him the price. He asks for pictures. . I send pictures of trailer with car on it and a letter with full disclosure on all aspects of the car. .

. . . He calls back a few days later and now wants to beat me up on the price of the car AND the trailer. . . . We settled on the 'new' price.. . . Red Flag No.2
I pull all the spare parts and documentation and get the car ready to go. The night before pickup date, he calls and now wants a lower price/ / Red Flag No.3
I refused and hung up. .

2 hours later I get an email where he changes his last discount amount to a few hundred dollars. . mind you this is without seeing the car so that should have been another red flag warning to me. . I tell him be here by noon, with $$$ in hand or don't show up. . . . he said he can do that. He said he has the money wired to his account at the local Chase bank for us to pick up. . I say call when he's an hour away. he says OK, see you at noon. . .

Noon arrives and no show or call.. . 2 hours later there is a knock and here is a man and lady to look at the car. . introduces himself as Ryan. .no mention about not being here on time. . .

I show him the car, he looks for 4-5 minutes, asks a few questions, and he wants to hear it run. . I fire it off.. .

He then says it isn't what he wants.. the lady addresses him by either Fred or Frank { either way, I'm certain that it wasn't Ryan} at one point in the conversation. . . Red Flag No.3 . . In my mind I go (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) is this about and start to have some really bad feelings about the possibilities. . They leave. . .

SO my assumptions are now either
1 He wants something better than my car. .
2 - He's a lookey loo who doesn't know exactly what he really wants
3 - Hes a reseller looking to score low ball deal
4- OR, and most troubling to me, this is a scam of sorts. I called a police buddy, and get a warning about internet deals for high dollar cars where this 'car inspection' is really a chance to case the place for a future theft. .

At this point, I don't know his intentions and I may be all wet, but I certainly did not have a warm fuzzy feeling with this encounter.. . . Whatever the case, screw it, I'm keeping the car for the next year and I'm certain the price of real 6's will continue to climb if I decide to sell later. . or just start driving it myself. . .

Note: I had a recent conversation [10-10-14] with Zach914, who said he didn't buy my car because it was not up to his standards. . To be fair to him, we agreed this was simple a matter of us disagreeing on our perception of what constitutes as Concour car, and not any ulterior motives.
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JRust
post Mar 7 2014, 01:47 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I would be extra security conscious the next few months! Definitely sounds sketchy to me. You have a right to be worried some. A very good reason to never show stuff at your home address. Although I am way to guilty of doing that. It is a good reminder to really vet people you give your address too. If it seems even a little funky. Better off loading your car on the trailer & meeting them somewhere. A pain in the butt for sure but better than the possible consequences (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) . Keeping my fingers crossed for you (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
chads74
post Mar 7 2014, 01:52 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 14,252
Region Association: South East States

Up the insurance, or just for fun... sleep next to the car with shotgun close by.
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Mar 7 2014, 02:08 PM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 116
Region Association: None

I think looky loo...

google the number and the name, both show pest control company's but with different company names...

+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Mar 7 2014, 02:21 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,527

Lock that shit up pronto, or try to store it at a friends house for awhile.
+Quote Post
rmdinmd
post Mar 7 2014, 02:24 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 16,585

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) sounds sketchy to me. up the insurence and add a monitored alarm system.
+Quote Post
budk
post Mar 7 2014, 02:32 PM
Post #7

Yes! It's a Bumblebee!

Member No.: 11,970
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

The fact that he actually showed up makes me think he is a scammer that was looking for a way to get over on you but you had all the bases covered. For as many diligent sellers like yourself there are there just as many who can be tricked into being taken advantage of.

EDIT - after posting this I jumped over to the Classified section to look at what -6 cars were for sale. The first post was for the show car with an asking price of $87k. I scrolled to the bottom and the only members looking at the ad at that time were me and zack914 ! So, seller beware.
+Quote Post
URY914
post Mar 7 2014, 02:33 PM
Post #8

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222
Region Association: None

Sounds like a typical 914 shopper to me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
TJB/914
post Mar 7 2014, 02:53 PM
Post #9

Mid-Engn.

Member No.: 346
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Toolguy,
The only thing I can add. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
Ask for identification, drivers license, etc. before getting involved with classified info. for a sale. This sounds/feels like a scammer??
Tom
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Mar 7 2014, 03:04 PM
Post #10

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

Ehh... It's a lot of money and he just didn't want yours. He showed up. You can identify him. ip address can be traced. If it was a scam, he wouldn't have shown up. He would have tried to separate you from the car with bogus funding... If he was coming back to steal it, he doesn't need to show up either. You told him where it was, all he has to do is come back with a trailer.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Mar 7 2014, 03:15 PM
Post #11

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

did you let these people come to your house?
+Quote Post
walterolin
post Mar 7 2014, 03:16 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 13,838

Google can produce some interesting stuff.

I started with the phone number, it led to the pest control company in San Jose. Then I found the Ca pest control license, it showed two owners, a man with the last name Ryan, and a woman last name Piini. Googling her name takes you to her 1973 class reunion. Googling the pest control company itself produced a number of reviews, most were positive, although a few were blistering.

Looks like Ryan is real, assuming the guy who should up was Ryan - and Ryan was his last name, the lady probably would call him by his first name.

Even so, he does not sound like someone I would want to do business with.
+Quote Post
Sfreeman615
post Mar 7 2014, 03:37 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 17,033

What's worked for me in these situations is to always beware and carry a Glock....or 2. Sometimes it can't be helped, but I never have people to my house...EVER and even when I'm buying something online from someone else, I ask them to meet me somewhere public, I don't want to go to their house either! I also don't think someone could make a decision in 4-5 minutes on whether to spend that kind of money, especially with the amount of communication the two of you had prior! He knew what he was coming to look at. I looked at one the other day for $1200 and spent at least 30 minutes going thru the car! Something's fishy here for sure, may not have had anything to do with e car at all but thinking like "I wonder what else a guy with an extra 87,000 car has laying around"? I'm a former PO/ SWAT team member so I always tend to look at things like this as subject! Can't be too careful!
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Mar 7 2014, 04:19 PM
Post #14

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

Get the biggest motorcycle chain and lock. Chain up the car and trailer. Pull the coil wire. Keep it under floodlights or locked inside.

The whole time I'm thinking casing for theft later on. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif)
+Quote Post
patrick3000
post Mar 7 2014, 04:43 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 6,468

Take an old cell phone and wire it into the battery so it charges every time the car is started. Pay for one of those cheap one year service contracts and put the number on speed dial. You now have a gps in your car and can call the number and find the car within minutes (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Mar 7 2014, 04:52 PM
Post #16

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Not sure what his deal is but, I'm fairly certain he did the same thing to me last year. Was too eager to pay high dollars for a 914-6 sight unseen.

Acted really weird. I never returned his calls after that.
+Quote Post
Jeff Hail
post Mar 7 2014, 07:39 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 7,712

Its about as normal as a cute chick named Jodi Arias. Doesn't add up so watch your back as you step out of the shower. Look for normal and you will see what doesn't belong.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
dw914six
post Mar 7 2014, 07:55 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 16,902
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(Jeff Hail @ Mar 7 2014, 05:39 PM) *

Its about as normal as a cute chick named Jodi Arias. Doesn't add up so watch your back as you step out of the shower. Look for normal and you will see what doesn't belong.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif) I'm telling you, this Rosson512 is ALL over 914club asking for a 914/6. Posts are everywhere. Multiple posts within days of each other. Very impatient guy. That looks unstable. Be careful ToolGuy.
+Quote Post
steuspeed
post Mar 7 2014, 08:15 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 13,308
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

A few years ago somone was going door to door in my neighborhood claiming to sell windows. Example, home owner shows them around maybe even points out a faulty window. Set up an apointment time which is really a tip to find out when you will be gone. Came back and stole all their stuff.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 7 2014, 08:21 PM
Post #20

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Would have been a normal day at a real estate open house. Many people come to look at things they cant afford. They have time and don't mind wasting yours.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 06:45 PM