Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> An example of what arc damage looks like, inductive spike induced damage to copper contacts in key switch
Tom
post Mar 9 2014, 12:22 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,626
Region Association: None

Thought I would do a little experiment to show what arc damage does to copper surfaces.
The first picture is two new alligator clips. The contacts.
Second is after 100 close/open events using a small relay - 0. 150 amps.
Third, forth, and fifth are after 100 open/close events using the starter solenoid- about 35 amps.
The current thru the starter solenoid is about 233 times as strong. I was actually getting a small shock due to the inductive spike and had to insulate my hands.
As you can see even with my poor camera skills, no damage can be seen after the 100 close/open events with the small relay. The arc damage does look significant after only 100 close/open events of the starter solenoid.
Would love to disassemble a failed key switch to see what the contacts look like.
Tom

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 8)
Tom
post Mar 10 2014, 05:39 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,626

I guess there is no interest in what happens to our key switches due to arc damage. Lots of looks, but no replies or questions? With the supply of NOS switches dwindling ( according to others who have replaced their switches more than once due to crappy materials in the switches from ??), I thought there would be a lot of interest in protecting the switches in our cars. Every time I think of this issue, I am reminded of the oil filter commercial where the mechanic is saying " you can pay me now, or pay me later".
I know there are those who insist that our cars work just fine electrically, but the evidence says different. Adding a relay to a starting system that should have had one from the factory is not in my opinion "hacking" a car's electrical system. It is simply updating it to standards almost all car manufacturers use today.
Tom
+Quote Post
FourBlades
post Mar 10 2014, 07:00 AM
Post #3

From Wreck to Rockin

Member No.: 8,414
Region Association: South East States

I agree about the relay being necessary.

I had one of the new ignition switches fail after only 2 years.

John
+Quote Post
budk
post Mar 10 2014, 07:06 AM
Post #4

Yes! It's a Bumblebee!

Member No.: 11,970
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Tom @ Mar 10 2014, 07:39 AM) *

I guess there is no interest in what happens to our key switches due to arc damage. Lots of looks, but no replies or questions? With the supply of NOS switches dwindling ( according to others who have replaced their switches more than once due to crappy materials in the switches from ??), I thought there would be a lot of interest in protecting the switches in our cars. Every time I think of this issue, I am reminded of the oil filter commercial where the mechanic is saying " you can pay me now, or pay me later".
I know there are those who insist that our cars work just fine electrically, but the evidence says different. Adding a relay to a starting system that should have had one from the factory is not in my opinion "hacking" a car's electrical system. It is simply updating it to standards almost all car manufacturers use today.
Tom

I was one of the ones that viewed your post but did not respond, simply because I was not sure what point you were trying to make. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Now that you have added some information I fully understand and agree with your contention that having a relay in the circuit would be a good idea.
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Mar 10 2014, 07:11 AM
Post #5

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643
Region Association: Southern California

Great illustration of the effect from voltage spike. I'm thinking that same test on a working (new ? ) switch will reveal more to us 914 owners whose cars seem to start now.
Thanks for shedding more light on this

FYI- I have added the relay
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
cary
post Mar 10 2014, 07:28 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,608
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I have a relay in both my cars. You only need to get stranded once with a failing ignition switch ............

But I think I tossed the switch after I changed it many years ago. So I'm no help.
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Mar 10 2014, 08:09 AM
Post #7

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

Nice experiment.

From this one can also understand the rapid wear of ignition points during their lifetime.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Mar 10 2014, 08:17 AM
Post #8

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

You don't need to convince me. In another arena; this and electrolysis is precisely why building codes will no longer let you ground to the copper pipes in your home. I've seen copper pipes that were in close proximity of one another (as in damned near touching) arc until one begins to leak, beneath the slab. $$$$$. Besides, I have a relay and I just began to re-connect your fuse box last nite.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Mar 10 2014, 08:18 AM
Post #9

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

I have never had a switch fail. (944 did (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) )
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 11:10 AM